• ...and so much more!
  • GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    By Virtue of the Governors EO,

Licensing & Permitting

• According to the Governor’s Executive Order, all licenses, permits, registrations, and other authorizations issued by the state, its agencies or any political subdivision that would expire during the current state of emergency will be extended until at least the 30th day after the state of emergency is lifted.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    MDOT sent me a letter about it last week, dated 10 days ago. (One of my vehicle registrations was up for renewal.)

There's a mention of it buried in one of the threads also, but no doubt many missed it.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    As it is now, if you apply for renewal before 2 weeks of expiration, your permit remains valid. If you get a shortage notice during this time, expired means expired. Now, that said, unless this emergency lasts more than a month, probably won't affect any body.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    As it is now, if you apply for renewal before 2 weeks of expiration, your permit remains valid. If you get a shortage notice during this time, expired means expired. Now, that said, unless this emergency lasts more than a month, probably won't affect any body.

I mean, odds are good we are talking months, very plural. Even if it relaxes for awhile, it won’t be going away for a long time.

Got my emissions extension notification in the mail today. I wonder about stamps come hunting season in the fall. Though I suspect by then we might not care about stamps and all that.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Maryland is also now issuing provisional EMT and Paramedic licenses.

If your EMT expired in the last 10 years, or Paramedic in the last 5, you can get a provisional license for the duration of the pandemic.

Same for out of state providers, no longer needing to go through the reciprocity process.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    MVA is still working emails. I just got a response from them with an email I sent on 27 March.

Had renewed my trucks registration/decals online back on March 4th, but haven't received them. They said they were mailed on March 6th. My mail carrier probably misdelivered them to another address on my street and I imagine either the unknown neighbor is fraudulently using them, or they simple threw the envelope away. :sad20:

Now I have to either pay a $5.00 fee for new substitute stickers by either going online or visiting a Kiosk. :mad54:

First world problem again. :rolleyes:

HSTD

Mar 25, 2020
    Clear Spring
    I was looking at the MDSP web site and saw this gem:

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...u/LicensingDivision/LawEnforcement/LEOSA.aspx
    Law Enforcement Safety Act

IMPORTANT REGARDING LEOSA EXPIRATIONS

The expiration date of the Retired L.E.O.S.A. Identification Card is extended by the Governor's Executive Order of March 12, 2020 which extends the expiration dates of "all licenses, permits, registrations, and other authorizations issued by the State of Maryland." However, 18 USC 926C(d)(2)(B) requires certification that the individual met firearms qualification standards not less than 1 year before the date the individual is carrying a concealed firearm. Individuals whose firearms qualification is more than one-year-old are not in compliance with the requirements of 926C(d)(2)(B). Therefore, it would not be recommended to carry on an expired LEOSA Identification Card outside the State of Maryland until compliance with the requirements of 926C(d)(2)(B) are met. ​

** Please note, this only applies to LEOSA permits issued by State agencies.

How is the Governor able to extend a requirement mandated under Federal Law?

If this were legal, wouldn't the extension be valid outside of the state as well?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I was looking at the MDSP web site and saw this gem:

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...u/LicensingDivision/LawEnforcement/LEOSA.aspx
    Law Enforcement Safety Act

IMPORTANT REGARDING LEOSA EXPIRATIONS

The expiration date of the Retired L.E.O.S.A. Identification Card is extended by the Governor's Executive Order of March 12, 2020 which extends the expiration dates of "all licenses, permits, registrations, and other authorizations issued by the State of Maryland." However, 18 USC 926C(d)(2)(B) requires certification that the individual met firearms qualification standards not less than 1 year before the date the individual is carrying a concealed firearm. Individuals whose firearms qualification is more than one-year-old are not in compliance with the requirements of 926C(d)(2)(B). Therefore, it would not be recommended to carry on an expired LEOSA Identification Card outside the State of Maryland until compliance with the requirements of 926C(d)(2)(B) are met. ​

** Please note, this only applies to LEOSA permits issued by State agencies.

How is the Governor able to extend a requirement mandated under Federal Law?

If this were legal, wouldn't the extension be valid outside of the state as well?

Because LEOSA states the retiree/officer has to qualify in the state(with an approved firearms qual used in the state) of which they reside. the "state" is the qualifying authority basically. If people can't qual because the state is on emergency lockdown, then the state is saying it's ok.
    The State of which the LEOSA holder resides "runs" the LEOSA program. I think it's a non issue.
    But LEOSA has been a fcked up thing since it's beginning. Here's what happens when people say they want the government to have a National Carry law for citizens.

HSTD

Mar 25, 2020
    Clear Spring
    Because LEOSA states the retiree/officer has to qualify in the state(with an approved firearms qual used in the state) of which they reside. the "state" is the qualifying authority basically. If people can't qual because the state is on emergency lockdown, then the state is saying it's ok.
    The State of which the LEOSA holder resides "runs" the LEOSA program. I think it's a non issue.
    But LEOSA has been a fcked up thing since it's beginning. Here's what happens when people say they want the government to have a National Carry law for citizens.

I don't understand why wouldn't they be able to carry outside of the state, if this is legit.

or is this Maryland just bending the rules to suit themselves?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I don't understand why wouldn't they be able to carry outside of the state, if this is legit.

or is this Maryland just bending the rules to suit themselves?

I wouldn't have any problem traveling out of state. I mean if something is suspended, everything freezes in time. This has to do with STATE AGENCIES. The only State Agency I know who issues, qualifies, and services their own LEOSA "cards" is the MSP. Seems like they just want to err on the side of caution.
    Who really knows how to decipher MSP?

Who did you qualify with?

HSTD

Mar 25, 2020
    Clear Spring
    I wouldn't have any problem traveling out of state. I mean if something is suspended, everything freezes in time. This has to do with STATE AGENCIES. The only State Agency I know who issues, qualifies, and services their own LEOSA "cards" is the MSP. Seems like they just want to err on the side of caution.
    Who really knows how to decipher MSP?

Who did you qualify with?

No one. I'm just curious why a drivers license would be valid out of state, and this one wouldn't be.

HSTD

Mar 25, 2020
    Clear Spring
    You don't have to go take a driver's test every year. LEOSA you have to shoot a qualification every year.

But if my drivers license expired last month, it would still be good out of state because of the Governors order.

Guess I just don't understand why one is OK to use out of state and the other wouldn't be.

Doesn't really affect me, and was just curious.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    But if my drivers license expired last month, it would still be good out of state because of the Governors order.

Guess I just don't understand why one is OK to use out of state and the other wouldn't be.

Doesn't really affect me, and was just curious.

Because LEOSA is a federal law. I guess the State thinks it shouldn't override that?

Is an expired license good out of state? Where was that stated from the federal government or surrounding states?

HSTD

Mar 25, 2020
    Clear Spring
    Because LEOSA is a federal law. I guess the State thinks it shouldn't override that?

Is an expired license good out of state? Where was that stated from the federal government or surrounding states?

The Governor extended the validity of drivers licenses expiring during the pandemic. That I can see him having the authority to do.

doesn't matter I guess. like I said, was just curious.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The Governor extended the validity of drivers licenses expiring during the pandemic. That I can see him having the authority to do.

doesn't matter I guess. like I said, was just curious.

Maybe in Maryland.

What if you got pulled over in Arkansas? Driving on an expired license. Are you going to tell the Trooper that Larry Hogan extended all licenses? I don't see that transaction taking place on the side of Highway 30.

I think staying in Maryland is the thing to do.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Maybe in Maryland.

What if you got pulled over in Arkansas? Driving on an expired license. Are you going to tell the Trooper that Larry Hogan extended all licenses? I don't see that transaction taking place on the side of Highway 30.

I think staying in Maryland is the thing to do.

I was thinking about such a scenario myself and I agree with the above advice. You never know what a Trooper in another State will do if the driver has a MD DL that had expired during this coronavirus crisis. My DL comes up for renewal in the next few months so I hope that the DMV opens up by then.

Cal68

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom