• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am contemplating an AR 9 pistol caliber carbine build; will probably start out as a KAK brace pistol but will become a carbine or possibly an SBR. What are your suggestions for parts, lower and upper receivers? Or any resources for further research?

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    You could check out Hannover Armory near BWI as they build AR-9s. Aero Precision is supposed to have some PCC stuff releasing soon. Otherwise I have heard that people like CMMG but I don't have too much experience on this subject.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you are in Merryland and you hope to SBR it, youl'll either nee an 11" barrel(Ballistic Advantage maybe) or a Vltor A5 receiver extension in order to make the 29" requirement. A 10.5" bbl and standard carbine buffer tube will not get you there.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    If you can wait until Aero puts out their lowers I’d suggest buying a receiver set from them. If you don’t necessarily need matched receivers or want to build before May (I think they release mid-April) order a Spartan lower from Joe Bob Outfitters. It’s the cheapest 9mm lower you will probably find and I’m fairly certain they are just New Frontier Armory lowers branded for Joe Bob.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Sp...ine-Compatible-Billet-Lower-p/jb-spartan9.htm

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There are a few ways to go, primarily depending on the desired mag. IMO there really isn't an AR based PCC/PCP that is as reliable, well designed or soft shooting as the MPX, so probably better off just buying one than a high-end build on an AR platform. I like the Foxtrot Mike billet lower, it's one of the better designs, and affordable, the best LRBHO IMO. QC10 is finished a little better, but takes more tweaking to run. QC10, KAK and FM bolts run well. Opt for an extended buffer or buffer and spacer to limit bolt travel, 5oz/Car spring is minimum for lighter loads only, 8oz buffers and 308 or tubb springs will handle hot stuff, but can be a little hit or miss with light loads. Heavier springs/buffers do increase muzzle movement, recoil feels softer, but heavier. Personally I like really short barrels, less gas blowback, and smoother function.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    CMMG radial delayed blowback barrel/bolt combo and build your own upper with it or buy a complete upper from them.
    Standard AR15 lower with a carbine buffer.
    Use their conversion mags, it’s a new spring/follower that’s fits inside of a standard PMAG.
    Last round bolt lock back.
    Soft shooting and 100% reliable for me so far.
    The only two downsides are price (which I think is worth it) and if you want to SBR it later. They only offer a 16” barrel or 8.5”. You’d need to have a 16” cut down and rethreaded.
    89a17e79441be0bf9592c179383a1534.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you are in Merryland and you hope to SBR it, youl'll either nee an 11" barrel(Ballistic Advantage maybe) or a Vltor A5 receiver extension in order to make the 29" requirement. A 10.5" bbl and standard carbine buffer tube will not get you there.

Does the side folder you reference have a longer LOP that would work with a 10.5" barrel?

You could check out Hannover Armory near BWI as they build AR-9s. Aero Precision is supposed to have some PCC stuff releasing soon. Otherwise I have heard that people like CMMG but I don't have too much experience on this subject.

I have one of Hanover's AR9s that uses Glock mags. The only issue I had was feeding..installed a Taccom feed ramp to fix it. The shape of the Glock mags force the round to jump .4 inches into the chamber. The feed ramp guides the round to the chamber...However....

I like my Ruger PCC better...

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    CMMG radial delayed blowback barrel/bolt combo and build your own upper with it or buy a complete upper from them.

Thinking about going this route except using a modified AR9 lower (remove the ejector, file down the bolt hold open). Still mulling it over. I like the idea of being able to use Glock mags.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So this is really interesting; we have the well established options for AR9 (Glock or Colt pattern with a heavy bolt/spring blowback design), and now there is the CMMG delayed blowback which some have called a game changer. I have read of problems with the CMMG option but it seems to me (my best guess) that was from the user not filing down the hold open which was rubbing against the bolt and causing it to fail. I am now looking at what's the best option for using the CMMG bolt and barrel and a Glock mag.

I think the best reason NOT to go the CMMG route would be for an SBR. As already pointed out, the 8" or 16" barrel choices won't get you there, so would have to go old school.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I think the best reason NOT to go the CMMG route would be for an SBR. As already pointed out, the 8" or 16" barrel choices won't get you there, so would have to go old school.

If you're worried about those stupid Maryland OAL laws you could just build your own upper with a CMMG RDB BCG they sell.

I probably won't do a CMMG Banshee SBR until I move back to PA.

HarryLogan

HarryLogan, also known as MesWoore
    Jan 16, 2020
    So this is really interesting; we have the well established options for AR9 (Glock or Colt pattern with a heavy bolt/spring blowback design), and now there is the CMMG delayed blowback which some have called a game changer. I have read of problems with the CMMG option but it seems to me (my best guess) that was from the user not filing down the hold open which was rubbing against the bolt and causing it to fail. I am now looking at what's the best option for using the CMMG bolt and barrel and a Glock mag.

Some important info on the CMMG option that I was not aware of. Thanks.

Car

Apr 3, 2020
    So this is really interesting; we have the well established options for AR9 (Glock or Colt pattern with a heavy bolt/spring blowback design)

Hi, I’m thinking about building AR9 pistol with Glock magazine. Reading this thread, looks like there is no established option? Aero did not release their pc lowers. Other suggestions were FM-9 and Spartan, both not without flaws as I understand?

Did anybody build reliable AR9? I’d like to buy a stripped lower and start from it, but cannot choose a lower that most people like. Especially today, when everything is out of stock. At this moment there is only FM9 Build Kit available for $300+

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom