• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    And the US now has the highest number of confirmed cases on the planet. It's just the flu. Buttheads.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    In 60 days we are all dead? I guess I'd rather die in 12 years from global warming. If we are all dying in 60 days who wants to buy some ammo?

No. It’ll slow down once enough people have gotten sick. But it’ll likely kill between 1 in 10 and 1 in 20 Americans.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, they don’t always. Flu doesn’t. It periodically resurfaced as much more deadly.

Smallpox didn’t until we developed a vaccine and eliminated it.

1967 before it was eliminated there were an estimated 15 million world wide infections and 2 million deaths. For a virus that had been with us for at least a thousand years.

SARS-CoV-2 is likely to be with us for the long haul.

Smallpox never mutated to be less virulent or deadly.

The estimate by people who’s job this actually is estimate 60-70% of the people in the world will contract this if we do nothing within 1 year.

We are already past 300 yesterday from 200 the day before. We aren’t remotely near a peak. Background infections rates once most people have contracted it would likely remain in the tens of thousands per day with thousands dying per day in the US without treatment.

That’s months after we pass hundreds of thousands dying per day at its peak if it really bad. Even if it is on the lowest end of estimates it’ll be tens of thousands per day dying.

Hmm

In 1967, there were around 10–15 million cases of smallpox in the world each year, a figure which had dropped from around 50 million cases a year in the 1950s.

But go on, feed the panic.

I prefer to make people concerned, but not panicked.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hmm

You realize it had dropped because there was wide spread immunization in place by 1967. Not because it mutates or something like that.

It was killing nearly 10 million a year in the 50s

And this was a disease there was some innate immunity to because it had been with us so long. We have no innate immunity to SARS-CoV-2. And no evidence any immunity will last (coronaviri we are familiar with, humans don’t have long lasting immunity, usually only a few months).

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    You realize it had dropped because there was wide spread immunization in place by 1967. Not because it mutates or something like that.

It was killing nearly 10 million a year in the 50s

And this was a disease there was some innate immunity to because it had been with us so long. We have no innate immunity to SARS-CoV-2. And no evidence any immunity will last (coronaviri we are familiar with, humans don’t have long lasting immunity, usually only a few months).

Good points. If I remember correct Sars2 the Sequel is the 7th member of the human-infecting corona virus and none of them offer lifelong sterilizing immunity (such as measles, small pox, polio etc).

As I mentioned earlier I'm an infectious disease researcher and as new as I am to firearms this is what I do for a living.

These are the ways we combat the virus:
    Work on a therapy, akin to tamiflu. There are dozens of clinical trials across the world happening right now. Hydrochloroquine, Azithromycin, Remdesivir are the headliners but there are numerous other compounds being screened. Months to a year away assuming a compound already available shows a benefit. I.e. if hydrochloroquine and Azith show effectiveness these will roll out immediately, as the FDA has already approved them. A novel compound would take years before approval, unless the FDA completely ignores established protocol.

Work on a vaccine, will likely become part of seasonal vaccination for high risk individuals (like the pneumococcal vaccine that elderly need). Unfortunately, this is 18-24 months at best before its rolled out. Additionally, we don't know how long this immunity will last.

We socially distance ourselves and gradually relax quarantine rules. If an outbreak pops up again, we quickly restrict, test and trace individuals. For example, by the fall if Cov2 has tapered off in the US- we get back to work. If this pops up in another country we block access of people and quarantine repatriated people. If it pops up in a state, we go back into quarantine immediately.

We hope that the virus begins to adapt to humans and become less virulent, akin to the 1918 pandemic influenza. Many times when a virus enters a novel population the first round of infections are incredibly lethal (Ebola, Sars1, Avian Influenza, dozens of examples in animals, etc). As the virus mutates, as many do, it becomes less virulent. If you're a virus you want to infect and impact the host the least possible. This allows maximum transmission. An example would be the common cold viruses. How many of us get a cold and we still go to work and spread it? Common cold is in my opinion a very successful virus.

Basically, everyone get ready for a couple more months of quarantine and let's hope our hospitals can keep up. This is going to dramatically transform many aspects of life.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Hmm

You're wasting your time dude. You cannot reason with people in a profound state of panic.

There will be MILLIONS dead within days!! It's the Rapture!! It's the end of days!!! :lol2:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I'm not worried about millions dying. I'm worried about the couple dozen or so I really care about. It is the end of days for the people who die. It's kinda like one of my teacher's once said about unemployment: It doesn't matter if the unemployment rate is 1% or 10%. If you're the one without a job, it's 100%.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I don't see anyone panicking here.

There's a discussion of how to take prudent precautions.

This virus presents threat scenarios far more likely than many discussed in this forum over the years, a forum of men who are armed to the teeth with defensive firearms.

No one is panicking.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Good points. If I remember correct Sars2 the Sequel is the 7th member of the human-infecting corona virus and none of them offer lifelong sterilizing immunity (such as measles, small pox, polio etc).

As I mentioned earlier I'm an infectious disease researcher and as new as I am to firearms this is what I do for a living.

These are the ways we combat the virus:
    Work on a therapy, akin to tamiflu. There are dozens of clinical trials across the world happening right now. Hydrochloroquine, Azithromycin, Remdesivir are the headliners but there are numerous other compounds being screened. Months to a year away assuming a compound already available shows a benefit. I.e. if hydrochloroquine and Azith show effectiveness these will roll out immediately, as the FDA has already approved them. A novel compound would take years before approval, unless the FDA completely ignores established protocol.

Work on a vaccine, will likely become part of seasonal vaccination for high risk individuals (like the pneumococcal vaccine that elderly need). Unfortunately, this is 18-24 months at best before its rolled out. Additionally, we don't know how long this immunity will last.

We socially distance ourselves and gradually relax quarantine rules. If an outbreak pops up again, we quickly restrict, test and trace individuals. For example, by the fall if Cov2 has tapered off in the US- we get back to work. If this pops up in another country we block access of people and quarantine repatriated people. If it pops up in a state, we go back into quarantine immediately.

We hope that the virus begins to adapt to humans and become less virulent, akin to the 1918 pandemic influenza. Many times when a virus enters a novel population the first round of infections are incredibly lethal (Ebola, Sars1, Avian Influenza, dozens of examples in animals, etc). As the virus mutates, as many do, it becomes less virulent. If you're a virus you want to infect and impact the host the least possible. This allows maximum transmission. An example would be the common cold viruses. How many of us get a cold and we still go to work and spread it? Common cold is in my opinion a very successful virus.

Basically, everyone get ready for a couple more months of quarantine and let's hope our hospitals can keep up. This is going to dramatically transform many aspects of life.

There generally has to be a selective pressure to make it less deadly though. A less virulent mutation allows it to spread more easily for some reason so it doesn’t get eradicated, but the mire virulent strain does. And of course there can be multiple circulating strains.

So far SARS-CoV-2 has shown itself plenty easily to spread around and its mutating at about half the rate influenza is. So at best it’s likely to be a few years before it would mutate in to something less deadly. But that isn’t guaranteed it might be mire deadly. Or it might be more easily transmissible and no less deadly.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I don't see anyone panicking here.

There's a discussion of how to take prudent precautions.

This virus presents threat scenarios far more likely than many discussed in this forum over the years, a forum of men who are armed to the teeth with defensive firearms.

No one is panicking.

Only panic I suffer is at the disco. I am highly concerned and believe this will be very bad.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'm concerned enough to hunker down with my wife, food supply, toilet paper and c. 35,000 rounds of ammo...

Not sure when I'll go back to work.

Hansum

Feb 14, 2019
    OP, not a bad idea if you're in the high risk group. Love the comments from the "oh I'm carrying on living my life" folks. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think you'll be saying that shit for long.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    There generally has to be a selective pressure to make it less deadly though. A less virulent mutation allows it to spread more easily for some reason so it doesn’t get eradicated, but the mire virulent strain does. And of course there can be multiple circulating strains.

So far SARS-CoV-2 has shown itself plenty easily to spread around and its mutating at about half the rate influenza is. So at best it’s likely to be a few years before it would mutate in to something less deadly. But that isn’t guaranteed it might be mire deadly. Or it might be more easily transmissible and no less deadly.

Yep, the time scale for lesser virulence to dominate an evolutionary landscape can be significant. Retroviral endogenization took millions of years (in classically studied examples) and it occurs over the course of an evolutionary arms race with host responses. Fast killing viruses are disfavored as they self limit their spread (and often the host is obviously sick so other potential hosts know to be careful).

This virus is like a tuned down SARS-CoV which helps expand its reach. It comes from the same reservoir of bats, and appears to have picked up sequences from a coronavirus in pangolins. Symptoms don't manifest immediately and it kills less than SARS-CoV, in or above the range of the deadly pandemic flu many have feared would eventually hit the world again.

For SARS-CoV-2 to be outcompeted by a less virulent form, a less virulent form would have to emerge that spreads more efficiently and potentially gives direct infection resistance to SARS-CoV-2 or induces a crossneutralizing immune response. Otherwise there's nothing to make the more pathogenic form disappear. Alternatively, SARS-CoV-2 has to sweep the planet and kill so many hosts that it starts limiting its own spread and a less pathogenic form is more successful in spreading because it doesn't eliminate its host pool. These things take time and significant carnage.

With flu, we've been vaccinating against H1N1 for years. We are inducing the selective tools in our bodies to limit the virus's spread.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Advanced directives was something I was thinking about while reading this thread the other day.

People that don't want to take precautions should sign one now so they don't take equipment from others it might save, don't expose first responders, doctors, nursing staff and don't waste masks, gloves, etc., in short supply.

The fact that doctors are openly discussing a policy like the one cited makes me believe that they believe this is a far greater problem than the flu.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm not worried about millions dying. I'm worried about the couple dozen or so I really care about. It is the end of days for the people who die. It's kinda like one of my teacher's once said about unemployment: It doesn't matter if the unemployment rate is 1% or 10%. If you're the one without a job, it's 100%.

All the precautions are not to stop the spread. Just slow it down. To spread out the load on the health care system.

Interesting points in this article:

https://www.businessinsider.com/cor...u2oWomDG4-UCjQnnJM6O1hGySi5iCTY6sh_-vocAhJvt4

The US, China, and Italy (in that order) have the highest number of coronavirus cases in the world.

But comparing the number of cases per million residents tells a different story about which countries are hardest hit by the pandemic.

Switzerland has the highest number of COVID-19 cases per capita — 1,340 cases per million people —followed by Spain and Italy.

The number of US coronavirus cases per capita is far lower: about 210 people are infected per million Americans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom