• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Libraries...personal collections of books are gonna come back in style.

While I’d hate to use a vintage MaxBrand for arsewipe, the third time I read one, well...

I'd use a Luke Short before a Max Brand and there would have to be no leaves on the trees or ground before I'd use a Louis L'amour

firemanyz

MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    What’s a good place to get a fire department Halligan Bar? I’ve always wanted one and it looks pretty useful.

eBay always has them and every so often you can get a used one for much less. But make sure you buy a forged one not a 2 or 3 piece one. Non forged suck. Look for a ProBar or leatherhead brand, these are the best.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    A pistol, because I'll take your tools and food from you

hand tools are good. handguns are better!

If stuff really does grind down, I plan to spend the inevitable period of stupidity catching up on range time, reloading (yes, mechanical tools), and reading.

Rifle... always use the right tool for the job. :innocent0

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    if you are hiding away, rifles. If you are walking about, handguns. I am too small to readily conceal even a loaded MP5A2, let alone a full size M4.

catch

Nov 21, 2012
    A good note book on things that is good to know, but not necessary to know. Reminder there will be no YouTube.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    Years working as a carpenter and then doing timber framing and historic preservation/restoration work means I have tons of hand tools and the knowledge to use them effectively and efficiently. I can build like its 1799. That’s going to be my proposed contribution to any group I try to join when the S really hits the fan

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Years working as a carpenter and then doing timber framing and historic preservation/restoration work means I have tons of hand tools and the knowledge to use them effectively and efficiently. I can build like its 1799. That’s going to be my proposed contribution to any group I try to join when the S really hits the fan ��

Knowledge and skills are the ultimate barter currency.:thumbsup:

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    wish i could afford to have you build me a house. i love the old timber frame buildings.

They are beautiful works of art and I’d love to build them again. I moved into construction management consulting running .gov projects back in 2008 when the market dropped out from under us. Now I consult on construction project management processes, procedures and systems. Happy to have a good job but I miss working with my hands and my tools.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Besides the obvious ones, If you plant to build anything for the house.

Draw knife
    Spokeshave (some of you references old school construction, you need to make dowels after you drill the hole with the brace and bit)
    Shaving horse becomes really helpful for the above tools on small stuff.
    Wood working vice
    planes (thumb plane is very useful)
    Alaskan saw mill. (don't have this)

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I have seen alaskan mills used but never actually done it.

Most of my experience making things involves metal. Eventually I need to learn to work in wood. I was too late for wood shop in school, such a pity.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Next time you're in a large box store bathroom, look for the hose bib, it'll have a small square steel spigot handle. Key turns them on, once you see one you'll see them everywhere commercially

You will also see them on the outside of buildings. Spigots without handles, the silcock wrench is the universal handle which fits most different sizes. It is a must have in your Get Home Bag so you can fill your water bottle if you get thirsty.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I didn't want to start a new thread because this one already had some good info in it.

I am making it a task this year to both add to my collection of USA made tools and to also purge some of my Chinesium stuff if it is stuff that i would use on a regular basis.

This is both an economic as well as a SHTF type preparation.

Good tools are increasingly more expensive. Per the Alpha Strategy, it makes sense to buy tools now in anticipation of what you may need down the road and to buy high quality durable tools.

My current target is to fill out my socket tools. I have a great set of USA made Craftsman sockets in metric and SAE that are 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". It was the standard package back in around 1989.

What I don't have are extensions and breaker bars, which limits use on some things, especially engines.

So, questions:

1. What length extensions are most practical for each sized drive? Buying ones that are too long may be as bad as buying too short?

2. Breaker bar lengths? Looks like they really limit the 1/4" drive lengths, presumably because it's more likely to break the socket than actually do it's job.

There are some USA made ones on the McMaster-Carr site, and I have a line on two estate collections that I might go poke through this week.

I just don't want to go overkill for stuff that I'll really never use, only because it takes up space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom