• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    There are times when I want a light weight barrel instead of an HBAR. A mid-length barrel with a tower sight and fixed rear sight (longer sight radius); just something about that setup appeals to me.

This would be perfect:
    https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-bfh-14-5-mid-length-light-weight-upper-receiver-group/

And this rear sight:
    https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1735

And then FDE hand guards, pistol grip, and stock. Maybe an Aero Precision FDE Cerakote lower. Just day dreaming out loud.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Why SBR a 14.5" when you can just replace the birdcage with a pinned and welded QD Surefire muzzle device, be at >16" OAL, and use your tax stamp money for a suppressor instead? That's what I always do, at least.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Then he would have an illegal firearm in marlandistan's eyes.

I always say Jack, if that's what you want, go for it! Never waste your focus worrying about what others think. (Absolutely no offense intended Steve)

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Has to be an HBAR, yes?

Yeah, but I'm a big guy and usually shoot AKs so the extra couple ounces doesn't bother me. If I want lightweight I can just throw together a pinned+welded pencil barrel 14.5 .300 memeout upper and call it a day, where it weighs even less because of the wider barrel bore and probably has better ballistics at that length anyways.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Yeah, but I'm a big guy and usually shoot AKs so the extra couple ounces doesn't bother me. If I want lightweight I can just throw together a pinned+welded pencil barrel 14.5 .300 memeout upper and call it a day, where it weighs even less because of the wider barrel bore and probably has better ballistics at that length anyways.

:lol::lol:

i gotta get one of those memeout uppers!

oh, and as for the HBAR, bit: there is heavy, then there is heavy and fluted ;)

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    :lol::lol:

i gotta get one of those memeout uppers!

It's the rich man's 7.62x39!

Then he would have an illegal firearm in marlandistan's eyes.

I always say Jack, if that's what you want, go for it! Never waste your focus worrying about what others think. (Absolutely no offense intended Steve)

None taken! I forgot to add in the "make sure to purchase something advertised as "heavy"' or get the manufacturer to stamp "HBAR" on your barrel for full MD Stasi compliance" clause that should be bolded in everyone's signature here.

Feb 28, 2013
    There are times when I want a light weight barrel instead of an HBAR. A mid-length barrel with a tower sight and fixed rear sight (longer sight radius); just something about that setup appeals to me.

This would be perfect:
    https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-bfh-14-5-mid-length-light-weight-upper-receiver-group/

And this rear sight:
    https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1735

And then FDE hand guards, pistol grip, and stock. Maybe an Aero Precision FDE Cerakote lower. Just day dreaming out loud.

That aint extreme. I’d say this is.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    https://columbiariverarms.com/frequently-asked-questions/

If you are cool doing your own thing, CRA sells pencil barrels that are MD approved for HBAR. Not sure what the actual weight is though.

Hmm - from their web site:

"In the state of Maryland, the following profiles from Columbia River Arms and Black Hole Weaponry are classified as heavy barrels: Pencil, Slim, Light, Standard, SPR, National Match, Semibull, and Bull. The M4 profile does NOT meet the requirements for the heavy barrel designation. *Information received from State of Maryland Licensing Division, Firearms Department, Sgt. Pickle, on November 6, 2017."

[EDIT - I will have to say; if these count as HBAR in Maryland, then I guess the SBR approach is not required at all]

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If it were me, I'd hold out for a Colt 14.5 SOCOM. Google it. Go to the various sites that carry them. They will undobtadly say OOS. Put yourself on a few waiting lists and wait. Took me about a month and I had them coming out of my ears. The BCM is good, but IMO, the Colt is the better barrel. That's why they are so hard to keep in stock.

Start here...

https://www.gandrtactical.com/Barrels_c_13.html

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If it were me, I'd hold out for a Colt 14.5 SOCOM. Google it. Go to the various sites that carry them. They will undobtadly say OOS. Put yourself on a few waiting lists and wait. Took me about a month and I had them coming out of my ears. The BCM is good, but IMO, the Colt is the better barrel. That's why they are so hard to keep in stock.

Start here...

https://www.gandrtactical.com/Barrels_c_13.html

Great idea. Thanks for the tip.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017

"In the state of Maryland, the following profiles from Columbia River Arms and Black Hole Weaponry are classified as heavy barrels: Pencil, Slim, Light, Standard, SPR, National Match, Semibull, and Bull. The M4 profile does NOT meet the requirements for the heavy barrel designation. *Information received from State of Maryland Licensing Division, Firearms Department, Sgt. Pickle, on November 6, 2017."

[EDIT - I will have to say; if these count as HBAR in Maryland, then I guess the SBR approach is not required at all]
    Yeah, the law is pretty stupid. But I appreciate BHW/CRA for contacting MSP to talk to them directly so that Marylanders can buy their stuff without worrying. Because of that I will give them my business when I can, even though I left MD last year. Their barrels shoot well for me, and the sales they run regularly (pretty sure I saw a banner for one when I grabbed that link for you) make them very affordable.

The colt SOCOM 14.5" barrel is a great choice too, and I can see why many would favor that over the CRA barrels. I had one in my M4 back when I was in the military, and it was very durable and accurate enough to get the job done.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide

This would be perfect:

And this rear sight:

I’d do it. I have a pre-2013 lower with a pencil barrel but if one didn’t, then SBR is a valid route.

I’m about to send off for a stamp for a M4A1 RIS II FSP rifle’d upper, because those things are a pain to deal with if there’s a pinned muzzle device.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    ………………………………………………………………….
    The colt SOCOM 14.5" barrel is a great choice too, and I can see why many would favor that over the CRA barrels. ………………………..

Wait a minute...…...Are you telling me there are barrels other than Colt out there??? :D

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge

Good ol' Sgt. Pickle.

I wonder what the date is on the email conversation I had with him where he states that diameter and profile had no bearing on what constituted a "heavy barrel" in Maryland?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    so you want a long sight radius?
    Isn't a 10.5" with one of those clamp on the barrel front sights )placed near the brake) about the same sight radius (within 1") as a mid length FSB?

I do see how you want a light barrel, that HBAR is adding like a whole lb.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    so you want a long sight radius?
    Isn't a 10.5" with one of those clamp on the barrel front sights )placed near the brake) about the same sight radius (within 1") as a mid length FSB?

I do see how you want a light barrel, that HBAR is adding like a whole lb.

Carbine length 10.5 has the same sight radius as a 14.5 carbine length barrel, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom