• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    I have a Citori XS Special 30" with high-post rib and adjustable comb. Excellent condition with probably les than 1k rounds through it. I bought it new a few years ago but haven't had much time to shoot because of my twin infants.

I really like it, but I started looking at semi autos for reduced recoil for the next time I get a chance to shoot. I was looking at the Beretta Xcel but recently been drooling over the 725 sporting with 32" barrels. I got a chance to hold one the other day and loved the way it pointed along with its slim profile and lighter weight compared to the XS. So, I've decided to stick with the 725 if I change shotguns.

Would the felt recoil be higher for the 725 since it's about a pound lighter than the XS? I've read that the 725 sporting with 32" barrels shoots pretty soft. Lastly, does anyone have an idea of what the XS Special is worth? They seem to be rare, so it's hard to get an idea of its value from gunbroker. Thanks for your input.

I shoot mostly trap and some skeet but want to do sporting clays as well.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    The lighter gun (when talking o/u) is going to have more felt recoil in almost all cases. This can be remedied with a mercury recoil weight. I've had good luck with 12oz in the stock, cheap and easy to add.

Market might be tad soft on the XS at the moment. Rare ins't synonymous with valuable in the case of some sporting guns. I think real world, you are talking $1,600-$1,800 or so on it.

I have a 725 in the classifieds (in 30") a the moment I also have a few sporting autos for sale.

Where are you located?

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    The lighter gun (when talking o/u) is going to have more felt recoil in almost all cases. This can be remedied with a mercury recoil weight. I've had good luck with 12oz in the stock, cheap and easy to add.

Market might be tad soft on the XS at the moment. Rare ins't synonymous with valuable in the case of some sporting guns. I think real world, you are talking $1,600-$1,800 or so on it.

I have a 725 in the classifieds (in 30") a the moment I also have a few sporting autos for sale.

Where are you located?

Thanks for the price info. I thought the felt recoil might be a bit more on the 725. Even then, it just feels better in my hands. I just saw your ad for the 725. Looks clean with a nice case. I'm tempted, but I'll have to sell this one first. I'm located in elkridge.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Narrower forend, but, the MAIN difference is the lower receiver profile and mechanical triggers.

Autos are okay, but, you can't go from an XS to an auto, doesn't make sense and you'll Be right back into an O/U in no time.

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    Diesel, I'd agree with you. Hence my hesitation with the Beretta Xcel. I might get rid of one of my pistols and get a semi auto too. We'll see.

Flasko, thanks. It does look sweet.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Recoil can also be related to how the gun fits, a poor fitting gun will have substantially more felt recoil than a well fit one.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I have a Citori XS Special 30" with high-post rib and adjustable comb. Excellent condition with probably les than 1k rounds through it. I bought it new a few years ago but haven't had much time to shoot because of my twin infants.

I really like it, but I started looking at semi autos for reduced recoil for the next time I get a chance to shoot. I was looking at the Beretta Xcel but recently been drooling over the 725 sporting with 32" barrels. I got a chance to hold one the other day and loved the way it pointed along with its slim profile and lighter weight compared to the XS. So, I've decided to stick with the 725 if I change shotguns.

Would the felt recoil be higher for the 725 since it's about a pound lighter than the XS? I've read that the 725 sporting with 32" barrels shoots pretty soft. Lastly, does anyone have an idea of what the XS Special is worth? They seem to be rare, so it's hard to get an idea of its value from gunbroker. Thanks for your input.

I shoot mostly trap and some skeet but want to do sporting clays as well.

What makes you think you're going to have any more time to invest? The money doesn't make sense to me.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I have owned an XT Trap, and have a BT-99. I have also shot Beretta 686s numerous times. The 725 is the most comfortable shooting O/U I have shot to date. It fits me very well out of the box.

Fit is a key consideration for sure but the mechanical and design changes of the 725 add up to a very nice shooting experience. The recoil pad is the best feeling and shaped pad I have tried so far.

For me, the hype is true despite it's lighter weight than your typical sporting gun. Definitely give one a try if you can before you buy.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    What makes you think you're going to have any more time to invest? The money doesn't make sense to me.

Thing is, you have no idea what the OP's financial situation is. Maybe the money really isn't an issue for him and the couple times a year he can go out and shoot he would prefer the 725 over the XS. Plus, the kids eventually grow up and it allows more time for other things. Not only that, but the kids might eventually want to shoot.

As far as the two guns are concerned, I'm meh on both.

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    Thanks for everyone's input. I'll make sure to have someone help me get fitted if I can get the 725. I'm also trying to get a decent amount for the XS and go for a used 725. I just listed it on a gun auction site. That way, hopefully, I won't have to put in too much more money.

As far as free time goes, as the boys get older, they are getting a bit easier to take care of. The first four to five months was the toughest with very little sleep. Even then, I know I won't have much time to shoot, but I enjoy holding and looking at my guns. To each his own I guess. :)

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    Wow. My XS was just sold on GB in less than two days. $2.1k+ shipping. I think I could have gotten more. There were six people watching it. Just need to get the payment and ship it in the coming days. Then, time to look for a 725. :-)

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Whoops. Good thing you didn't listen to me!. My 725 sold last night, heading to Kentucky this afternoon. I have one more to go (Anyone need a 391 Teknys? ). Then it's move up time.

ShooterMcGee

Dec 31, 2012
    Mine is still available if you change your mind about having an adjustable comb. Mine is a 30" sporting with graco adjustable comb, 4 muller chokes and 2 factory flush chokes. LOP is 14 1/4. $2500 for local sale. Stock does show some dings and wear, but is a good price. Will be posted for sale on some forums in the next few weeks.

Good luck in your search.

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    Thanks guys. I'm going to wait until I get cash in hand and the buyer gets the gun. The 391 looks good, but I'm going to look for a 32" that's stock. GL with your sale to both of you.

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    Btw, this is the first time I've sold a firearm online. It's amazing how tricky it can be to ship it to a FFL. The UPS Stores won't ship them, so I have to go to one of the hubs. I call up their 800 number to confirm what I need to bring with me, and the operator and her supervise don't have a clue.

Is it easier to ship through USPS?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I use USPS, and Fedex. Never had an issue other than it being expensive to ship and insure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom