• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    Was thinking about the line on the Gun App that asks if you have ever been under a doctors care and the rash of (mass)murder/suicides. I concede that we really don't want a someone who is committed to an institution to have access to any weapons. But lets say the average person is in a funk, lost their job, house, spouse, dog died, whatever and decides that maybe (s)he should talk to a shrink. It seems to help but since no one is "cured" overnight decides to have regular sessions, once a week, once a month. By admitting they MAY have a issue and seeking help before it gets out of control does that now disqualify them from from owning or buying? If so wouldnt you think that would discourage people from seaking help before it is too late?

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Nope, if you go to a shrink it is your problem. What they want to know is if you were either forced to go there (by order of court of similar) or admitted to a mental institution as you were deemed a danger for yourself or others. Speaking voluntarily with a mental professional should not be considered to be put in there.

Otherwise I always cite one of the sayings from the association of psychologists: 1/3 of the population requires urgent counceling, 1/3 would profit from it and the rest is more or less normal.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    Boule pretty much nailed it. This question comes up every now and then and whether it's guns, job applications, or other stuff, the phrasing on the form is pretty much always referring to cases where you had to be forced by a judge or are deemed a danger to yourself or others by the doctor. Getting yourself checked out is something they do not want to discourage.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Now if you take the police version of the gun application form, they do ask if you have ever sought psych. care period, regardless of if it was voluntary or not.

simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    I'd like to chime in here. I agree with the above but i want to give you some food for thought.

A year ago, i was on a ski trip and my wife called me in tears (really sucks when you're off having fun, and you're 1000 miles from home and can't help). It's a fairly long story but I'll summarize. My wife was feeling the same way as you described Alli. So she was proactive and went to a counselor. About that time she was up for her clearance renewal. Somehow, im still unclear but somehow the counselor or the people looking into her clearance was reported she was diagnosed being bi-polar. Turns out that was what they were looking into, not that she already was. It ended up being some mild depression which she still is working through.

Well this threw her clearance for a freaking loop, she was put on notice that she could be losing it, they had to go through a tougher psych evaluation and it didn't get cleared up until just recently. Almost a year later.

I dont think anyone should withhold possible treatment if they are suffering from whatever ales them simply because they are scared they can't buy anymore guns, and at the same time 75% of what those types of doctors do i think is just utter ********, people forget they are in a business, it is in their best interest to keep you coming back. IMO a lot can be said for getting away for a week, back to nature alone to work through your issues. That being said....

I just wanted to bring up the devils advocate point and tell you I've lived through what going to a shrink can be misinterpreted. Make sure you get it documented as to why you are going, and what you hope to get out of going. Have the doc, note that in your file" For example. "Im just going through some hard times, i lost my job, my wife, my dog etc... and i just want to be able to talk through how i feel" dont say your depressed, AND DONT LET THEM ROPE YOU INTO LONG TERM CARE IF YOU FEEL YOU DONT NEED IT. Remember they have bills too. And make sure they stick to the damn issues you have, dont let them go off talking about your mother and how you were 10 you lost your dog or some shit.

just my opinion.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    So she was proactive and went to a counselor. About that time she was up for her clearance renewal. Somehow, im still unclear but somehow the counselor or the people looking into her clearance was reported she was diagnosed being bi-polar.

Hm, interesting fact. In her case, find out how they got a hold of the information that she was seeing someone. If the shrink talked - get a lawyer with knowledge of HIPAA laws and sue for damage and breach of doctor-patient confidentiality.

and at the same time 75% of what those types of doctors do i think is just utter ********
    Did I ever tell you that you are a goddamn optimist!

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Hm, interesting fact. In her case, find out how they got a hold of the information that she was seeing someone. If the shrink talked - get a lawyer with knowledge of HIPAA laws and sue for damage and breach of doctor-patient confidentiality.

Did I ever tell you that you are a goddamn optimist!

When you are getting a clearance or renewing it, you sign a form giving the Gov't permission to speak with your medical personnel.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    When you are getting a clearance or renewing it, you sign a form giving the Gov't permission to speak with your medical personnel.

Yikes - Governemt is so much fun..... In that case, they might have contacted your health insurance provider and found out that way. So we know for next time - pay in cash and do not tell your insurance or your primary care doctor that you were seeing this professional. :innocent0

I know a bunch of collegues that have a very specific policy about speaking to anyone about patients: They verify with the patient before or someone waves a court order. Just a general waiver? Nope!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yikes - Governemt is so much fun..... In that case, they might have contacted your health insurance provider and found out that way. So we know for next time - pay in cash and do not tell your insurance or your primary care doctor that you were seeing this professional. :innocent0

I know a bunch of collegues that have a very specific policy about speaking to anyone about patients: They verify with the patient before or someone waves a court order. Just a general waiver? Nope!

As a primary care doc, I get these requests from the government regarding patients a few times a year. Most say " X has identified you as his/her physician". Some outline the type/sensitivity of the information the person will be dealing with. I am never requested to send chart copies, or any specific diagnoses. They ask my opinion as to whether they have any issues that may impact their ability to deal with such info. I have only had concerns about one guy. He really needed to not deal with anthing of any importance ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom