• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I've been selling more than buying but still go to gunshows just to see what might turn up. Went to Frederick this past weekend and actually found several C&R firearms I was interested in.
    What followed me home is a very nice, close to mint 1947 Winchester 52B 22RF target rifle. This is a commercial rifle, they were also purchased and used by the military for training and competition.
    Bluing is close to100% and the wood has very few dings, amazing considering it is almost 70 years old and they were almost always used heavy.
    Came with an original Winchester mag and single shot adaptor, hand made wooden case and a Canjar single shot adaptor with palm rest.
    52B's are not rare, but in high unmolested condition they are not common.

Attachments

• IMG_5239.jpg
      IMG_5239.jpg
      46.4 KB · Views: 492
    • IMG_5240.jpg
      IMG_5240.jpg
      78.6 KB · Views: 448
    • IMG_5241.jpg
      IMG_5241.jpg
      59.1 KB · Views: 475
    • IMG_5244.jpg
      IMG_5244.jpg
      52.7 KB · Views: 464
    • IMG_5232.jpg
      IMG_5232.jpg
      108.1 KB · Views: 473

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    It's a heavy barrel, would like to find a bull but they are hard to find in top condition.

I really did not need another B, would rather have found a C but a 1947 in this condition was hard to pass on. The B's have a reputation for accuracy while the C's have a better trigger. The trigger on the B is nice and crisp but can't be set reliably much below 2 pounds, this was not an issue at the time as rules required a 3 pound trigger and pulls would be measured before a match.

Growing up in the 60's and 70's the NRA small bore position programs were very popular, we used the indoor ranges on Ft Meade to compete, lots of kids learning the rifle disciplines. The rich kids had the Anschutz, Rem 40X, Winchester 52's, us poor kids had Mossberg 144's or the military loaner rifles,well worn 513T's and a few Winchester 52's.

Made it to Expert with the 144 and halfway to Distinguished Expert, did well prone and standing but sitting and kneeling always gave me problems. It was a lot of fun, taught you discipline and control, probably why I have such a love for these old target rifles today.

Thanks for everyones comments.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    There's a good reason why the Winchester 52 has been described as the perfect rifle. That's a wonderful find! I was lucky enough to snag my 52B years after selling off my first one in a fit of stupidity. Never again! Will be one of the last rifles that I part with when the time comes.
    Still watching for a good deal on a pre-A example. A 52 musket would be a dream but I've never seen one of them offered for sale in 35 years of collecting. Lord knows what they're worth.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Augie, I agree with all. You can get the trigger a little below 2 lbs, but not much. Are you aware that there is a Win 52 Yahoo group that does an annual bench rest competition? Been doing it for a couple years. I've got both peep sights and a scope on mine. Redfield International rear ad Olympic front. Litschert Eagle scope. Mine is a heavy barrel also. I've also got a Win 75 target.

Jul 1, 2012
    A nice B is on the want list for me too... this was a stellar find I think!
    An elegant, efficient and beautiful design.

There's a good reason why the Winchester 52 has been described as the perfect rifle. That's a wonderful find! I was lucky enough to snag my 52B years after selling off my first one in a fit of stupidity. Never again! Will be one of the last rifles that I part with when the time comes.
    Still watching for a good deal on a pre-A example. A 52 musket would be a dream but I've never seen one of them offered for sale in 35 years of collecting. Lord knows what they're worth.

I just tore down and cleaned my Mom's pre-A; she got it on her 16th birthday and used it on the high school & college rifle teams (here in MD, imagine that).
    It was really dirty after sitting in the closet for the past 40 years :)
    She had the Speed Lock adjustable trigger set to about 1 pound.

I have two early pre-A's in the same S/N range as hers and all 3 are slightly different. Both of mine have the unfortunate receiver crack at the safety... so not Mawkie material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom