• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Did my once every couple month check on the local pawn shop Saturday and found a well worn standard A5 looking pretty forlorn against the wall. Normally I avoid guns like this but the price was reasonable for condition. I could see the wood had all the checkering sanded off, the metal was an even brown but the engraving was very shallow and soft like it had been reblued.
    Did the deal as I was looking for a full choke solid rib barrel and took it home. Took it apart and the barrel and receiver serial number match. Started cleaning it and found all the metal was covered with some sort of dried on thick preservative, under the preservative the engraving is good and the blue/brown finish is decent.
    Wood is trash but is usable as is
    Took it out to the trap range for a function check, ran 25 straight smoking the bird with the fixed full choke, apparently gun shoots right where I look.
    Guess I'm going to order some new springs for it and strip it down for a good cleaning, I can see 60 years of crud in the receiver. I will probably keep an eye out for an appropriate wood set.
    I love the way these guns shoot.

Attachments

• IMG_3372.jpg
      IMG_3372.jpg
      99.7 KB · Views: 426
    • IMG_3373.jpg
      IMG_3373.jpg
      74.3 KB · Views: 446
    • IMG_3374.jpg
      IMG_3374.jpg
      92.6 KB · Views: 415
    • IMG_3376.jpg
      IMG_3376.jpg
      59.8 KB · Views: 416

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    1. Go to pawn shop
    2. Buy gun
    3. Go to trap range
    4. Break 25 straight

That is a great story and a great find.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Love the old Brownings, I have one that my mom bought for my dad when they were dating.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Yes, just used standard 1 1/8oz target loads. Friction rings on the A5 can be set for light or heavy loads, had them set for light loads.

Yup, I have my 1938 vintage A-5 set for heavy. It cares a lot less than my shoulder does. :thumbsup: I have plenty of high brass and magnum loads to waste.

Muggs

Nov 21, 2010
    Cumberland
    My pre-war A5 has lost a fair amount of blue. I think its fine that way.

I do think its odd that people look down on reblued or touched up guns. In the Browning owners manual even states its value will be higher.

BlackBart, How did you pin it down to 1938? I've only been able to get "in the 30's". Serial # 1401xx

Attachments

• 100_5206.jpg
      100_5206.jpg
      90.6 KB · Views: 224
    • 100_5208.jpg
      100_5208.jpg
      83.2 KB · Views: 225

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    My pre-war A5 has lost a fair amount of blue. I think its fine that way.

I do think its odd that people look down on reblued or touched up guns. In the Browning owners manual even states its value will be higher.

BlackBart, How did you pin it down to 1938? I've only been able to get "in the 30's". Serial # 1401xx

http://proofhouse.com/browning/a5.htm

Even using the Browning site that says it's a guess the SN is in that range. The gun still looks almost brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom