Who did you vote for MD Governor (2018 election)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Who did you vote for in the 2018 Maryland Governor race?

• Larry Hogan

Votes: 301 80.3%
    • Ben Jealous

Votes: 11 2.9%
    • Shawn Quinn

Votes: 40 10.7%
    • Ian Schlakman

Votes: 1 0.3%
    • other/write-in/left blank

Votes: 22 5.9%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    With 99.7% of precincts counted ...

Hogan, Larry
    56.21%

Jealous, Ben
    42.75%

Quinn, Shawn
    0.57%

Schlakman, Ian
    0.47%

Hogan said in his acceptance speech that 100s of thousands of Democrats voted for him.

If past numbers of Democrats (and those that lean Democrat) in Maryland compromising a 2 to 1 majority over Republican leaning voters remains true, and making the big assumption that turnout was comparable between these groups, then roughly 1.4 million Democrats voted in the Governor's race. Assuming that the wide majority of Jealous voters were Democrats, it suggests that 500k Democrats didn't vote for him and chose Hogan instead (who also got 700k Republican voters).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think Jell-O did pretty well considering he lost , but to me the figures are scary on the vote difference . What 900 thousand plus voters : voted for him SMH

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    That’s probably the total amount of true 2a supporters there are in md

Since I gave my word and myself and my people all voted for hogan and he won by such a margin I feel like a traitor , and when lawn chair Larry rapes us for the next four sessions I will only myself to blame

Goodbye second amendment in Maryland

At least now we can expect a widened version of the Red Flag bill :sad20:

You know they will try .

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md

You know they will try .

Try?

What’s in their way? Nothing and lawn chair Larry already said we need more gun control, common sense gun control, lol, that’s dem speak for raping you of your right, lol.

Given the chance they would put gun owners names in the paper and pay someone to 1302 is all

Whatever you do don’t answer that late night early morning knock on your door!!!

I know I won’t!

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore

You know they will try .

And they will get it. Hogan can now let his true progressive colors fly, and his sycophant R’s in the legislature will go right along with it.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Larry has no power. Fight for 5 was a pipe dream. MGA still has a Super Majority. He might veto bills ,but to what end. They'll still be a law. I'm guessing Larry might not even redraw the district map, my nightmare scenario.

I'm not tied to this "state". 10 years and my family is gone.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Larry has no power. Fight for 5 was a pipe dream. MGA still has a Super Majority. He might veto bills ,but to what end. They'll still be a law. I'm guessing Larry might not even redraw the district map, my nightmare scenario.

He will redraw it but the legislature will fight it, with the current make up of the GA Hogan has no power, they will just override his vetoes just like they did his first term.
    The only one that would have had power would have been Jealous and at least we prevented that.

Beach Runner

Mar 20, 2018
    I sucked it up and voted for Hogan yesterday, but now looking at his margin of victory the disgusted dirty feeling that I am left with was not worth it. I feared that the straight D voters would bring Jealous closer so I felt I had to. Jealous would have been a disaster for us, but I hate that Hogan can view my vote as any form of support. :sad20:

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Gave Hogan an ally oop. Even though I really don’t like him on gun issues. The state is prospering economically under him. Counts for something. Held my nose.... yadda yadda yadda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    Quinn. But I would have voted for Hogan had the race been closer. Mr Jealous seems like a nice guy, but his policies would likely have been a disaster for fans of freedom.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Does the MGA have any say in a new map?

This is what I came up with,

In Maryland, the primary authority to adopt both congressional and state legislative district lines rests with the state legislature. The governor submits a state legislative redistricting proposal (an advisory commission appointed by the governor assists in drafting this proposal). The state legislature may pass its own plan by joint resolution, which is not subject to gubernatorial veto. If the legislature fails to approve its own plan, the governor's plan takes effect. Congressional lines are adopted solely by the legislature and may be vetoed by the governor.[34]

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Quinn, less than 1%. What a 3rd party option.

The very painful reality is. Maryland voters do not care about their rights. The 2nd amendment and the rest are not on the mind of sheeple. It's hard to accept, but that's what it is.

I'm trying to understand the logic in your position. It was obvious that Hogan was going to walk away with this election, so what is the downside of voting for Quinn and not supporting Hogan? If Quinn's vote total could have been tripled or quadrupled, maybe folks running as Republicans in the future might consider that advocating 2A support in the future should be a part of their platform. Instead many here support the guy who's bragged about losing NRA support and said that more gun control is needed. And you make a crack at people for supporting Quinn?

He will redraw it but the legislature will fight it, with the current make up of the GA Hogan has no power, they will just override his vetoes just like they did his first term.
    The only one that would have had power would have been Jealous and at least we prevented that.

You didn't prevent Jealous from taking office. 500k Democratic party voters that thought Hogan was the better "Democrat" stopped Jealous. If there was an opportunity to throw support to a 2A supporting candidate on the ballot or a write in, it was in this election. 30k MDSers could have not voted for Hogan and Jealous still would have lost.

I sucked it up and voted for Hogan yesterday, but now looking at his margin of victory the disgusted dirty feeling that I am left with was not worth it. I feared that the straight D voters would bring Jealous closer so I felt I had to. Jealous would have been a disaster for us, but I hate that Hogan can view my vote as any form of support. :sad20:

While I agree with the first point that you've made, I will concede that I hope through support of Hogan folks will be able to influence him the next time new gun control legislation comes down the pipe. They can legitimately say that the majority of the 2A supporting community supported you in the Governor's race and now that you've won a second term and won't be running for reelection, we hope that you'll be able to fight for us as well. Hopefully he won't respond that I appreciate your support, but 500k Democrats also supported me, and I'm the Governor of all Maryland, so I've got to do right by them too.

While Hogan is much better to have in this position than Jealous, this whole comparison is a canard. Jealous was never going to be the Governor in this election cycle. Even the Democratic Party had given up on him.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    And then someone suggested Hogan will be a much stronger supporter of the 2A in his second term.

ray-liotta-laughing-in-goodfellas.jpg

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland

I'm trying to understand the logic in your position. It was obvious that Hogan was going to walk away with this election, so what is the downside of voting for Quinn and not supporting Hogan? If Quinn's vote total could have been tripled or quadrupled, maybe folks running as Republicans in the future might consider that advocating 2A support in the future should be a part of their platform. Instead many here support the guy who's bragged about losing NRA support and said that more gun control is needed. And you make a crack at people for supporting Quinn?

You didn't prevent Jealous from taking office. 500k Democratic party voters that thought Hogan was the better "Democrat" stopped Jealous. If there was an opportunity to throw support to a 2A supporting candidate on the ballot or a write in, it was in this election. 30k MDSers could have not voted for Hogan and Jealous still would have lost.

While I agree with the first point that you've made, I will concede that I hope through support of Hogan folks will be able to influence him the next time new gun control legislation comes down the pipe. They can legitimately say that the majority of the 2A supporting community supported you in the Governor's race and now that you've won a second term and won't be running for reelection, we hope that you'll be able to fight for us as well. Hopefully he won't respond that I appreciate your support, but 500k Democrats also supported me, and I'm the Governor of all Maryland, so I've got to do right by them too.

While Hogan is much better to have in this position than Jealous, this whole comparison is a canard. Jealous was never going to be the Governor in this election cycle. Even the Democratic Party had given up on him.

As was pointed out by some Quinn supporters, he never really got into this race. A strong 3rd party option still helps a weaker candidate win. The history of third party proves this. I liked Quinn's position on issues. But, he was DOA in this state's political climate. I realize where this state is headed and it's not pretty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom