• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred55

Senior
    Aug 24, 2016
    Spotsylvania Co. VA
    Haven't read it all yet; however, the gun-grabbers (usually liberal) are so bought into the government taking care of them it's hard for them to feel any government threat - until its too late. This reasoning with those folks is not likely to bear any fruit. My .02.

oharek

Jun 19, 2013
    Thanks Don. Definitely worth reading. President Trump and Governor Scott should read it.

fred55

Senior
    Aug 24, 2016
    Spotsylvania Co. VA
    It is a good read. Most of us here agree why the Second Amendment was created. The tough part is convincing others. The separation of church and state is also a point many folks don’t get. It’s not about keeping Christian values and celebrations out of government buildings. It’s about keeping citizens free from religious taxes. Fred55

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The article puts forward some useful arguments. Invasions and occupations happened frequently throughout the world in the 20th century - the Japanese ran wild over East Asia pre-WWII (Korea, China, Taiwan, Indonesia), the Soviets occupied Eastern Europe post-WWII, and obviously the numerous invasions and occupations that occurred during WWI and WWII. The threat of invasion continues in the present day with examples of Crimea/Ukraine, Georgia, and various Middle Eastern countries. Eastern Europe is also threatened again by the Russians. Imagine if these countries had something equivalent to the 2A.

The US hunting community of approx 13 million is larger than the standing armies of all the major military powers of the world combined. Add in other gun owners (that bought for home defense, that bought for competitive shooting sports, etc) and the number grows substantially. Owning a rifle, a firearm, is a patriotic act, rooted in the Constitution. Which aggressor nation would dare occupy the US? It's so laughable, no one considers the possibility these days. But take away the 2A, do an Australian confiscation, wait a few generations, and watch the will to fight erode and possibly even the numbers of civilians to enlist seeking combat positions in the military drop. Sure, we will have our nuclear deterrence and we likely will have a potent, if smaller, military force, but we won't be much different from Britain or Australia are now. They don't project power. Countries run by strongmen, including Russia and China, would dominate the world stage - and to compete, we would maybe adopt their model of governance having given up on a model where the strength of the country is derived from the strength of a free people.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    Countries run by strongmen, including Russia and China, would dominate the world stage - and to compete, we would maybe adopt their model of governance having given up on a model where the strength of the country is derived from the strength of a free people.

This is precisely what the opposition wants: to turn this country into an authoritarian state. The opposition wants to be ruled. They want to be told what to do. They want to be chattel. They want to bend down and kiss the feet of a ruler.

My suspicion is this: these people want to bring back the days of royalty, undoubtedly because of how such things are portrayed in the media. They think royalty is somehow virtuous, that royalty would never intentionally harm or cause to be harmed those they rule for profit or fame or any other self-serving thing. It doesn't occur to them to think about the hundreds of millions (if not billions) of people who lived in squalor under such "royalty", because that is not how it is portrayed in the media.

Liberty doesn't mean a goddamned thing to these people, because they can't imagine an authoritarian government that would prevent them from doing what they want to do, since what they want to do is so obviously "right".

I really, really wish there were some way of giving them exactly what they want without sacrificing our own liberty in the process, just so that they could learn for themselves that it really isn't better to live as a slave than to be free.

johnkorz

Feb 25, 2013
    Savage
    Hello Ladies and Gentlemen:

This is a very good article however; the author contends that the public’s response to these two types of scenarios are completely different. Type A scenarios, that involve firearms are met with criticism (usually based on the person’s uneducated opinion) and debate over current gun policy law (i.e. you do not need one of those black sporting rifles because I said so). This debate may also include a discussion of the value of certain types of firearms and their uses (as perceived by those who do not know what end of the firearm the round comes out), etc. All of these explanations are considered to be legitimate in contemporary society today because they are part of unfocused political discussions – dare I say debate (liberal meaning I feel this way about guns therefore, my opinion is correct and you being a firearm owner and/or member of a gun supporting association are evil). Whereas, Type B scenarios that include automobiles, prescription medications, alcohol, cars, speedboats, water skis, snowboards, and airplanes though important to actuary who will approve your life insure policy do not meet with the same level of criticisms or exist in any form of critical public debate. These actions all involved a higher risk when compared to the use of firearms. So what is it about firearms that drive some people totally crazy when prescription drugs are killing more people each day compared to firearms?

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    So what is it about firearms that drive some people totally crazy when prescription drugs are killing more people each day compared to firearms?

The funeral home showing up at your door to cart your dead kid away that overdosed on heroin last night while you slept isn't as dramatic and newsworthy as a school shooting where a dozen kids were shot with live footage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom