Vortex AMG Holographic sight it out! (Vortex Huey)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    I like this ALOT...someone buy one and tell me if its good lol

I asked Vortex if this has an auto on feature, which is very essential for home defense purposes. If it doesn't I'll be buying one or 2

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    What is in these things that makes them cost so much?

I'm waiting for vortex, Aimpoint, trijicon quality for under $100. :deal:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    That's one bulky sight. I'll have to see that in person before I'd commit. But some people say I should have already been committed. :innocent0

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    I asked Vortex if this has an auto on feature, which is very essential for home defense purposes. If it doesn't I'll be buying one or 2

If not a feature on the Vortex, check out the new Hartman MH1.

If memory serves, AMG line in American made with German glass. Quality with a lifetime warranty which is nice. :thumbsup:

Cicirich

Feb 10, 2013
    My EOTECH return got approved and now waiting on the check. This looks like a great replacement. I was contemplating this or the Trijicon MRO to put on top of my CZ Scorpion.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I'm going to have to see one of these in person before purchasing. On he other hand the gen ii PST scopes may be a blind purchase.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I'm a cheap bastard what can I say. I can't bring myself to pay that much for something that goes on a gun.

same here, the prices people pay for some of these scopes and optics Is just insane to me.

my FIL has an 1800 dollar leupold (spelling I know) scope on layaway that I just cant grasp how he deems that worth that kind of money.

especially cause the max we usually ever shoot is 200-300 yards tops

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    looks neat but kind of strikes me as a more expensive eo tech that has an additional feature or 2.

it wouldn't work for me though, (astigmatism)

im sure the quality is there

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    same here, the prices people pay for some of these scopes and optics Is just insane to me.

my FIL has an 1800 dollar leupold (spelling I know) scope on layaway that I just cant grasp how he deems that worth that kind of money.

especially cause the max we usually ever shoot is 200-300 yards tops

Whatever you do, don't look through a good scope, learn to dial in corrections, make adjustments, or see how long it will hold 0 with storage and a few bumps, if you do, you will probably find out why they cost so much more, and will end up broke after buying one. Pretty much like asking why a good pistol costs so much when you can get a hi-point for a couple hundred, afterall they both shoot;)

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    Whatever you do, don't look through a good scope, learn to dial in corrections, make adjustments, or see how long it will hold 0 with storage and a few bumps, if you do, you will probably find out why they cost so much more, and will end up broke after buying one. Pretty much like asking why a good pistol costs so much when you can get a hi-point for a couple hundred, afterall they both shoot;)
    This. You look through a high-end optic at something long range, and you'll never want to go back.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    This. You look through a high-end optic at something long range, and you'll never want to go back.

Biggest thing I've noticed is the clarity and contrast allows you to use MUCH lower magnification, had an easier time seeing the target and keeping groups small with a buddy's stupid expensive Swarovski on 6X at 300 yards than a decent Vortex at 9x or a cheapo Barska at 20x. It does amazing things, like you can dial it in once, and thats it, no need to re-zero every time you go to the range. Can also sight it in with only a couple shots, or adjust and hit where you intend, have 1/4min clicks, want to move the group up 2" at 200, simply turn it 4 clicks, and it's spot on, doesn't move 5" up and 2" to the right like most.

As far as the Vortex AMG, would love to look through one, I really like the EoTech, and it's about as clear and free of distortion as a sight can get, field of view is awesome too, just not a fan of the grainy reticle on some, and of course the reliability issues. A holographic sight also has the somewhat magical benefit that the dot appears to be the same size at any magnification, where reflex will get bigger, so probably the best sight to use with a magnifier. If this has all the good, and none of the bad, they will sell like hotcakes, Vortex already has the best warranty around.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

ha, I understand the get what you pay for idea.

im more so getting at the if the use doesn't justify the means outlook.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Biggest thing I've noticed is the clarity and contrast allows you to use MUCH lower magnification, had an easier time seeing the target and keeping groups small with a buddy's stupid expensive Swarovski on 6X at 300 yards than a decent Vortex at 9x or a cheapo Barska at 20x. It does amazing things, like you can dial it in once, and thats it, no need to re-zero every time you go to the range. Can also sight it in with only a couple shots, or adjust and hit where you intend, have 1/4min clicks, want to move the group up 2" at 200, simply turn it 4 clicks, and it's spot on, doesn't move 5" up and 2" to the right like most.

As far as the Vortex AMG, would love to look through one, I really like the EoTech, and it's about as clear and free of distortion as a sight can get, field of view is awesome too, just not a fan of the grainy reticle on some, and of course the reliability issues. A holographic sight also has the somewhat magical benefit that the dot appears to be the same size at any magnification, where reflex will get bigger, so probably the best sight to use with a magnifier. If this has all the good, and none of the bad, they will sell like hotcakes, Vortex already has the best warranty around.

I'll second on the clarity of optics vs. magnification. I used to think Bushnell was good until I went to Leupold Gold Ring. I used to think Leupold Gold Ring was good until I went to Zeiss Victory. I could see better & with more detail with the Zeiss at 1.6x than I could with 4-8 on my Leupold.

I know it was the same with the Swarovski as I've seen them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom