• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    Need to get a mount for the MRO I purchased on Black Friday. Thinking about absolute co-witness mainly because i have buis in case the optic fails. Are there any advantages to a lower 1/3 mount ? This is my first higher end red dot and want to make sure I get a proper mounting system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cicirich

Feb 10, 2013
    Kinetic Development. Not sure if it will cowitness but you can pop it on and off in a second.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I've been pleased with ADM for other mounts. I run one on my T2 and have no complaints.

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    I've looked at both of those. Need to know the advantages of lower 1/3 rd. I'm leaning towards co-witness. Just don't want to buy it and regret it later

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    I've looked at both of those. Need to know the advantages of lower 1/3 rd. I'm leaning towards co-witness. Just don't want to buy it and regret it later

I have a larue QD mount on mine and I love it.
    It's all lower 1/3 co witness

From my impression absolute is for when you want your iorn sights to work perfectly with your red dot in case it goes down where as lower 1/3 you can use your optic without the irons being in the way of the dot

Ski169

May 28, 2012

From my impression absolute is for when you want your iorn sights to work perfectly with your red dot in case it goes down where as lower 1/3 you can use your optic without the irons being in the way of the dot

I would agree with this for cowitnessing your sights. I forgot to mention that my ADM is lower 1/3 and that works for me. I find it easier to acquire the dot even when leaving the sights up. Most important to me is that the height of the mount allows the best alignment with my eye. I guess some of this is more personal preference than anything.

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa

Think I like the idea of co witness then. Can't go wrong with Larue. Shot a buddy of mines QD larue on an ACOG. It was pretty sweet

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    I would agree with this for cowitnessing your sights. I forgot to mention that my ADM is lower 1/3 and that works for me. I find it easier to acquire the dot even when leaving the sights up. Most important to me is that the height of the mount allows the best alignment with my eye. I guess some of this is more personal preference than anything.

Thanks Ski. I'm still learning about red dots but still confused on why you would have buis deployed while using MRO. Is it just a matter of personal preference ?

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Thanks Ski. I'm still learning about red dots but still confused on why you would have buis deployed while using MRO. Is it just a matter of personal preference ?

For some guys that have full cowitness, it could be, like stated earlier, that the dot and sights are lined up and the sights are ready to go if the dot stops working. Lower 1/3 keeps them available for immediate deployment in the event of red dot failure. The sights can remain up and not get in the way of picking up the dot with the eye.

Short answer, yes. It's a matter of personal preference. Whatever works best for you and how you train or practice with said sight and optic/mount combo is really all that matters. It's your money and you should be happy with your purchase as well as your setup working for you.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    One of mine has an EXPS2 on it and fixed Troy Battle sights.
    The lower 1/3 co-witness doesn't clutter my view in the EOTech at all.
    cowitness.jpg

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Makes sense to me now. Thanks for clarifying.

I personally use absolute co-wittness when I have sights that fold flat, like Magpul etc.. I use 1/3 co-wittness for rifles with fixed front sight post, it helps to keep the eye box from appearing overly cluttered.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    Went with the Geisselle absolute co-witness. $85 from optics planet with 10% off and free shipping. Have a set of Troy buis that fold down. Can always sell it if I don't like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom