Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2018, 10:09 PM #41
CrazySanMan's Avatar
CrazySanMan CrazySanMan is offline
2013'er
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorful Colorado
Posts: 7,273
CrazySanMan CrazySanMan is offline
2013'er
CrazySanMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorful Colorado
Posts: 7,273
Colorado's bump stock bill died in Senate committee. The mag limit repeal bill passes the committee vote and goes to the floor.
__________________
Let's face it, in the next four years, whether Jealous or Hogan wins, your 2A rights in Maryland are going to suffer.
CrazySanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 10:14 PM #42
Rab1515's Avatar
Rab1515 Rab1515 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Calvert
Posts: 1,255
Rab1515 Rab1515 is online now
Senior Member
Rab1515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Calvert
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
Huh. Interesting.

If ATF Grants an amnesty period, does the tax apply? I assume it does.
they most certainly will try, but will have trouble with ex postfacta tax. Putting it in simpler terms, the atf says an item is legal with no tax or registration. With no laws broken the ATF can't go back and say you owe us $200 per device and if you don't your breaking the law.
__________________
MD, AZ CCW
Member: NRA, MSI
Designated Collector
Rab1515 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 10:30 PM #43
fidelity's Avatar
fidelity fidelity is offline
piled higher and deeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frederick County
Posts: 14,446
fidelity fidelity is offline
piled higher and deeper
fidelity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frederick County
Posts: 14,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySanMan View Post
Colorado's bump stock bill died in Senate committee. The mag limit repeal bill passes the committee vote and goes to the floor.
That's excellent. Fingers crossed

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
__________________
Post nubes, lux
fidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 10:51 PM #44
danb's Avatar
danb danb is offline
W T F
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 15,250
danb danb is offline
W T F
danb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 15,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab1515 View Post
they most certainly will try, but will have trouble with ex postfacta tax. Putting it in simpler terms, the atf says an item is legal with no tax or registration. With no laws broken the ATF can't go back and say you owe us $200 per device and if you don't your breaking the law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthefisher View Post
LOL! Does a bear shit in the woods? <synonym> Does the government like taking your money?

Yes... yes they do.
Actually, there is a precedent: ATF rulings 94-1 ATF 94-2 and 2001-1. ATF reclassified some shotguns as NFA items and granted amnesty registration with no tax. People had bought them cash and carry. Amnesty ended 2001. Transfer taxes only applied prospectively after 1994 ruling.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/FR...nt-detail.html

I predict thats what they will do here.
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 10:56 PM #45
Boondock Saint's Avatar
Boondock Saint Boondock Saint is offline
Returnedish Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: White Marsh
Posts: 18,339
Boondock Saint Boondock Saint is offline
Returnedish Member
Boondock Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: White Marsh
Posts: 18,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySanMan View Post
Colorado's bump stock bill died in Senate committee. The mag limit repeal bill passes the committee vote and goes to the floor.
God Bless America.
Boondock Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 07:28 AM #46
hodgepodge's Avatar
hodgepodge hodgepodge is offline
Senior Member (Gold)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arnold, MD
Posts: 6,859
hodgepodge hodgepodge is offline
Senior Member (Gold)
hodgepodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arnold, MD
Posts: 6,859
I wrote to my three ninnies, McConkey, Malone and Saab, and to my goofball, Reilly, on Monday night. Not a peep in response. I think they're hiding under rocks.
__________________
MSI/NRA/SAF/SASS
hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 07:41 AM #47
Mark75H's Avatar
Mark75H Mark75H is offline
Outboard boat racing guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Outside the Gates
Posts: 10,161
Send a message via AIM to Mark75H
Mark75H Mark75H is offline
Outboard boat racing guy
Mark75H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Outside the Gates
Posts: 10,161
Send a message via AIM to Mark75H
Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
Actually, there is a precedent: ATF rulings 94-1 ATF 94-2 and 2001-1. ATF reclassified some shotguns as NFA items and granted amnesty registration with no tax. People had bought them cash and carry. Amnesty ended 2001. Transfer taxes only applied prospectively after 1994 ruling.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/FR...nt-detail.html

I predict thats what they will do here.
Those were serialized firearms.

How will they do it with unserialized parts? I guess it would be somewhat like an SBR - a receiver with such would have to be registered as being completed as such. Imagine the backlog ...

How would that affect citizens of Maryland if ATF does this for bump stocks but not binary triggers?
__________________
2A ... Federal Preemption

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 08:15 AM #48
danb's Avatar
danb danb is offline
W T F
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 15,250
danb danb is offline
W T F
danb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 15,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
Those were serialized firearms.

How will they do it with unserialized parts? I guess it would be somewhat like an SBR - a receiver with such would have to be registered as being completed as such. Imagine the backlog ...

How would that affect citizens of Maryland if ATF does this for bump stocks but not binary triggers?
engraving... lots of engraving. Might make you go to an FFL to get it done too.

Not sure about the backlog. Depends how they do it. If ATF examiners need to personally sign registrations, bigly yuge backlog. If they do it like a 4473 and send it in, no backlog. Trump admin asked for $14 million more to the budget to clear the existing backlog, as if you can hire examiners overnight.

Whatever takes the most time and wastes the most tax dollars and is the biggest nonsense is what they will pick.
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2018, 08:01 AM #49
44man's Avatar
44man 44man is offline
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: southern md
Posts: 5,818
44man 44man is offline
member
44man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: southern md
Posts: 5,818
Steve Waugh's response to my email of support, he has my full support and is truly one of the good guys!

thanks for the support!
The delegates appear to have realized the error of their ways and are begging us to 'fix' the bill they voted for. I had a conversation with the Chairman of our Judicial Proceedings committee and even he thinks the bill is horrible. And he would outlaw guns.
I know who the delegates face in the general election, and those choices are far worse.
The other day we had some consultants telling us to support the Gov on the bump stock ban, because it'll be popular in our senate districts...all the while I was thinking I'd be better off in a TV commercial using one.
s/f
Steve
__________________
"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Co-author of the Second Amendment
during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

NRA life member
Va ccw
Fla ccw
MSI
44man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2018, 09:55 AM #50
Rab1515's Avatar
Rab1515 Rab1515 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Calvert
Posts: 1,255
Rab1515 Rab1515 is online now
Senior Member
Rab1515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Calvert
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44man View Post
Steve Waugh's response to my email of support, he has my full support and is truly one of the good guys!

thanks for the support!
The delegates appear to have realized the error of their ways and are begging us to 'fix' the bill they voted for. I had a conversation with the Chairman of our Judicial Proceedings committee and even he thinks the bill is horrible. And he would outlaw guns.
I know who the delegates face in the general election, and those choices are far worse.
The other day we had some consultants telling us to support the Gov on the bump stock ban, because it'll be popular in our senate districts...all the while I was thinking I'd be better off in a TV commercial using one.
s/f
Steve
Offer to arrange that last part.
__________________
MD, AZ CCW
Member: NRA, MSI
Designated Collector
Rab1515 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2018, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service