• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    No I am not. I did not say "it says" it dos not say anything. It is talking about the class of people, not their weapons. The entire context of the second amendment and the history around it makes it clear they are talking about militia (traditionally all non felon able bodied men, now including women) having the ability to form up with their own arms to oppose, or more importantly to deter from happening in the first place, tyrannical actions or tendencies or foreign forces. Not pitchforks against muskets, not muskets against bolt action cartridge firing rifles, and not bolt action rifles against m4s.

That s my point. There is no definition of arms because the arms being specified CHANGE over time to whatever arms of regular infantry.

That is my point and my problem with the OP construction of the question as to what arms the authors meant. They don't mean a type of weapon, they mean a weapon usage (infantry not irregulars). "Arms" in the Amendment are defined by the context of the Amendment, they do not mean a rate of fire, accuracy, or action type -- they mean what contemporary infantry carries..

I found nothing like that in the Federalist Papers nor other literature of the time. There was no limiting in period literature "to what contemporary infantry" carried. Militiamen often carried rifles vs the muskets carried by the regular infantry. If I'm wrong, please point out the related document(s)

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    The COTUS authorizes the government to grant Letter of marque, meaning the founders envisioned that private citizens would have fully equipped warships to send on punitive missions. Ponder what this means regarding the type of arms under civilian ownership and control.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Militiamen often carried rifles vs the muskets carried by the regular infantry.

I am not talking about rifles muzzle loading vs muskets but rifled cartridge long guns vs musket.

And I've read the Federalist Papers as well in undergrad and grad, and know Heller back and forth.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The COTUS authorizes the government to grant Letter of marque, meaning the founders envisioned that private citizens would have fully equipped warships to send on punitive missions. Ponder what this means regarding the type of arms under civilian ownership and control.
    Letters of marque were never asserted as a right, but as a license ie only those specifically given that permission.

And that did not have to do with arms, but who one was allowed to attack and under what circumstances.

The analogue would not be what they could do if armed, but whether private vessels could be armed at all. Generally they could for centuries, until 20th century treaties and questions of who was a combatant in conflict affected that.T

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Letters of marque were never asserted as a right, but as a license ie only those specifically given that permission.

And that did not have to do with arms, but who one was allowed to attack and under what circumstances.

The analogue would not be what they could do if armed, but whether private vessels could be armed at all. Generally they could for centuries, until 20th century treaties and questions of who was a combatant in conflict affected that.T

There were privately owned artillery pieces during the revolution.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I am not talking about rifles muzzle loading vs muskets but rifled cartridge long guns vs musket.

And I've read the Federalist Papers as well in undergrad and grad, and know Heller back and forth.

Johnny and I are both trying to say that 2A ensures the citizenry the right to weapons exceeding those carried by comon infantry, not just limited to the technology used by common infantry. It was always so and shall always be so.

How could a Letter of Marque be useful if said private vessels were unarmed? The Letter of Marque allowed certain activity by vessels already armed for the job, not license to arm the vessels.

I have no idea where metallic cartridges enters this discussion. Please explain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom