• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Introduced by Senator Cornyn. I thought it deserves it's own thread as HR 38 was passed today

The Senate version differs from HR 38 in that it does require a home state permit for a resident of that state to carry in their home state

Attachments

• BILLS-115s446is.pdf
      260.4 KB · Views: 578
    Last edited:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Introduced by Senator Cornyn. I thought it deserves it's own thread as HR 38 is being voted on today

The Senate version differs from HR 38 in that it does require a home state permit for a resident of that state to carry in their home state

That will be a lock if any chance at all..

ant92083

Lord Of Summer
    Jul 15, 2016
    MD
    The Senate version needs to be reconciled with the house version. The Senate version leaves us hanging out to dry with the change.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    That will be a lock if any chance at all..

I don’t think so. There are several States that are constitutional carry so the way I see it there are a couple options:
    1 those states will have to issue licenses
    2 Senate will have to match House version so the Constitutional carry state citizens can get a non resident license to carry everywhere else in the US

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Another possibility here is that the senate passes only fix nics, it goes to conference where 1 of 2 things happen.

1) senate passed bill gets reciprocity added to it to match the house bill

2)house bill is stripped of reciprocity to match the senate bill.

Then whatever they do (1 or 2) will go back to each chamber to be voted on for final passage.

What I don't know is if when it comes back does the senate still need 60 votes for cloture again or can they just pass with simple majority.

If it is just simple majority I could see them going with option 1 to get it through.

If senate does require 60 vote cloture on the conference report I could see them screwing us and going with option 2

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I don’t think so. There are several States that are constitutional carry so the way I see it there are a couple options:
    1 those states will have to issue licenses
    2 Senate will have to match House version so the Constitutional carry state citizens can get a non resident license to carry everywhere else in the US

Why?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    1 those states will have to issue licenses NO

The Senate bill provides protection for residents of CC states, like HR 38 did. Residents of those states need only provide a photo ID in another state. No NR permit required

IANAL.

Attachments

• 446.jpg
      446.jpg
      74 KB · Views: 2,820

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    These bills are for reciprocity laws.

They're not, run rough shod over states that don't want to issue a carry permit, laws. We'd be better off with National Concealed Carry bills being pushed.

Reciprocity may pass.

But there is nothing in the law that will compel Maryland, and other states, to suddenly hand out carry permits.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

They're not, run rough shod over states that don't want to issue a carry permit, laws.

Reciprocity may pass.

But there is nothing in the law that will compel Maryland, and other states, to suddenly hand out carry permits.

That is technically correct. Of course, the General Assembly will then be confronted with the reality that the citizens of 42 states with shall issue permitting system will be able to carry in Maryland, while the citizens of Maryland will not be able to. That may become politically untenable, even for the antis.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co

They're not, run rough shod over states that don't want to issue a carry permit, laws. We'd be better off with National Concealed Carry bills being pushed.

Reciprocity may pass.

Unless something changed today, I believe it would allow MD residents with a Utah non-res to carry.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I've always thought this should be viewed from a Commerce Clause standpoint. It prevents the free flow of commerce between the states, specifically, between those that recognized reciprocity and those that do not.

If you have a consolidated bill that requires a home state permit, I think then you might have an equal protection (14th) case. Others being treated differently.

ant92083

Lord Of Summer
    Jul 15, 2016
    MD
    I've always thought this should be viewed from a Commerce Clause standpoint. It prevents the free flow of commerce between the states, specifically, between those that recognized reciprocity and those that do not.

If you have a consolidated bill that requires a home state permit, I think then you might have an equal protection (14th) case. Others being treated differently.

The senate is not capable of 4D chess, stop that! The senate wouldn't force an issue to go to SCOTUS on purpose, they are not that smart... :innocent0

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    That is technically correct. Of course, the General Assembly will then be confronted with the reality that the citizens of 42 states with shall issue permitting system will be able to carry in Maryland, while the citizens of Maryland will not be able to. That may become politically untenable, even for the antis.

Doubtful, as not enough Marylanders care about it to make it worthwhile for their legislators to do anything about it. MD Democrats don't care if you can defend yourself with a firearm or not, and if you get killed in the process then it's just a feather in their cap to call for more gun control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Unless something changed today, I believe it would allow MD residents with a Utah non-res to carry.

The Senate version does not allow carry for MD residents using a NR permit from another state.

Attachments

• 445-5.jpg
      445-5.jpg
      67.2 KB · Views: 865

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

The Senate version does used the Commerce Clause as it's foundation.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    yes-that's why if both pass, it's fate (and ours) lies with what is worked out in the conference committee.

If the house version is amended, we're screwed

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom