• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    The Mission continues! We've STILL got a country to save. A Nation of Rifleman is our goal... We need YOU to make it happen... Sign up links are NOW HOT for the first Maryland Appleseeds of 2017! Check back frequently, as more shoots WILL be added!

We will have at least one MAJOR announcement coming VERY soon regarding the program, so keep your eyes peeled!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Who: You AND a spouse, child and or friend
    What: Project Appleseed Rifle Marksmanship and History
    When: Classes this year likely at AAFG Annapolis, Berwyn in Bowie, AGC in Marriottsville, Sanner's Lake in Lexington Park, NRA range in NoVA, IWLA in Leetown WV, DSC in Sudlersville, Delta Peach Bottom in Delta PA, and more ranges being added.

Class signup link is hot for online sign up: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=MD&statename=Maryland

Want up to the minute Maryland Appleseed updates? LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Project-Appleseed-Maryland-264406060313831/

Some events will be 22LR ONLY!!! Other ranges (Sanners, AGC, Bowie, DSC) allow centerfire, so read the details of the class carefully when signing up!
    Classes sizes will be determined by the facility. These classes sell out quickly, so sign up NOW to assure your spot on the line!

FEE STRUCTURE FOR 2017
    Adult Men & Women = $60 , Youth under 18 = $20
    Active Military, Reserve & Guard = $20, Peace Officer = $20, Reenactors in Period Dress = $20, Elected Official = FREE
    Sign-up MUST be done online.
    All attendees MUST register online.

See the links for the REST of the important details...

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
    Check out this site to learn more, what to bring, recommended equipment.
    Also check the forums linked there, including info on how to set up a Liberty Training Rifle. :

Whats New and Important Notes for 2017

Patriots Day April 19th Events. Appleseed Christmas in April.. This year SPECIAL PATRIOTS DAY events will be held on the weekend of 4/22 . This year there will be tens of thousands of people Nationwide attending these special events! Join us for these Extra special events, with unique T-shirts, Special history lessons, and stuff that you won't want to miss! If you are going to come to any event, THESE are the ones you want to be at!

FULL DISTANCE Events! Only open to previous Appleseed attendees and Riflemen, putting those skills to the test out to 200, 300, and 500 yards! Due to recent Ft Meade access restrictions, we are PENDING a few events out to 200 yrds that will be announced later in 2017.

Maryland Specific Appleseed Patches: you have the opportunity to earn the MD Front Site patch..Maryland Distinguished Patch (a very cool design if I say so myself), Known Distance (KD) qualified rocker, and Maryland rocker. These are only able to be earned in Maryland AND are you are going to have to be on top of your game to earn these puppies. You WILL want these to join your Rifleman patch...There are very few distinguished patches earned..only the best of the best have earned em.. Are YOU up for the challenge?

Think you can get a group of 10 or more shooters together for two or
    even ONE day of shooting? PM me with 6-8 weeks notice, and odds are
    in your favor that you may be able to set up YOUR OWN private Appleseed!
    This is a great option for you scout troop leaders, home schoolers, 4-H, work or civic groups or associations, etc., etc.,
    to learn to shoot, hear the story, and keep the tradition alive...
    Let me know your groups needs, and we WILL make it work for you.. THIS OFFER STILL STANDS for 2017!

Finally, THANK YOU MD Shooters and Congratulations to all attendees, volunteer instructors, Rifleman, and those Rifleman still in progress, who are still working towards earning that patch, who helped make 2016 Appleseed in Maryland an amazing success! New ranges were added, and new sparks of Liberty were ignited inside Riflemen across the Old Line state..

Special Thanks to Anne Arundel Fish & Game Assc (AAFG), Sanner's Lake, AGC , Berwyn, Delta Peach Bottom F&G, Delmarva Sportmans, Leetown IWVA, and NRA HQ Range for hosting events during 2016. I hope other gun clubs in Maryland will join them in inviting us aboard in 2017.

Remember..we are non-profit, all volunteer Nationwide program.. we can always use ANY help we can get! Why not step up to do your part to help save our Nation? The ships sinking folks, we need to stop being iceberg spotters and start bailing the ship now!

BeSwift

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    Any updates on the "major announcement?" I'm very interested in any centerfire events beyond the usual 25 yards if there are any.

Question: I notice some of the "regular" (not KD) events allow both centerfire and .22LR. Does everyone shoot at 25 yards regardless of caliber, or do the centerfire guys do longer distances? I've only done rimfire-only and centerfire-only Appleseed events so far, so I didn't have a reference point for those where both are allowed.

Cicirich

Feb 10, 2013
    Yes I'm curious about the special announcement also. I love attending Appleseed events.

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Sorry all.. been off the grid for a few days...

Best option for KD events at this point is 1) PA has multiple at outstanding facilities... 2) We're LIKELY to have at least 1-2 200 yard events this summer, but they still aren't finalized... I'll be squawking loudly once they come to fruition.. Also CONSIDERING doing 200 yrd event for 22LR if there's enough folks interested, later in the year..

Currently, the shoots at ranges that allow center fire and rimfire are all shot at 25 meters... We DO have an upcoming event in March at Berwyn in Bowie that is center fire eligible that we'd love to get some folks on the line for..

Can't spill the beans on the upcoming announcement, but it'll be a good one.. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: hopefully 30-90 days I'll be posting some B I G news... BeSwift

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    I might do a homeschool group in the future. I will pray about it and talk to some people at church.

Thanks for being a part of this educational event. Your group is doing important work for the country.

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Need to find a place to run these in western md!!! Please

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The BEST way to make this happen is for someone who's a member of a club out there, invite us to a BOD meeting at the club so we can make our pitch.. All we need is a date, time, and address, and I'll be there, with bells and whistles.. Without "local boots on the ground" to grease the wheels and facilitate the process, it's an uphill battle. I own property in Garrett Co, so I'd LOVE to have an excuse to spend more time in that neck of the woods...

In the meantime, check out our events at Leetown IWLA in WV..

Thanks! BeSwift

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Need to find a place to run these in western md!!! Please

Stu I belong to the Izzak Walton club in Clearspring. That would be a good place for one of these events. Ill bring it up with Larry Stouffer the next meeting I attend.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Stu I belong to the Izzak Walton club in Clearspring. That would be a good place for one of these events. Ill bring it up with Larry Stouffer the next meeting I attend.
    I used to be a member. I was thinking the same thing but let my membership lapse. Is it still 70 a year?

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    They have a great location for Appleseed but Im no longer a member. I hope its something that can be worked out though.

schnauzr

Bark Bark!
    Jun 6, 2016
    MoCo
    We DO have an upcoming event in March at Berwyn in Bowie that is center fire eligible that we'd love to get some folks on the line for..
    Just signed up for the March *4th* event at Berwyn! See you guys there!

p.s. my first Appleseed :D

Last edited:

schnauzr

Bark Bark!
    Jun 6, 2016
    MoCo
    Ok, Berwyn is almost here. Aside from the 'how to prepare' list from Appleseed's main site, does anyone have any recommendations, tips, or tricks for these local events?

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    Ok, Berwyn is almost here. Aside from the 'how to prepare' list from Appleseed's main site, does anyone have any recommendations, tips, or tricks for these local events?

Bring decent ammo. Doesn't have to be match grade, but leave the crappy cheap stuff at home. If you don't have a shooting mat, at least bring something to rest your elbow on.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Bring decent ammo. Doesn't have to be match grade, but leave the crappy cheap stuff at home. If you don't have a shooting mat, at least bring something to rest your elbow on.

This^

I was glad to have worn a long sleeve shirt, even though you're on a mat, there were plenty of people in short sleeves with skinned up elbows by the end of the day.

schnauzr

Bark Bark!
    Jun 6, 2016
    MoCo
    Thanks guys. I did purchase a mat AND elbow pads and luckily both will be delivered tomorrow. I did happen to catch a horror story or two regarding skinned elbows on another forum so that really sealed it for me. However with the weather the arms will be double covered for sure. Regarding ammo, have a sufficient amount of Wolf Gold (brass) for the day that works well in my rifle. Not match ammo, but not steel crap.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Berwyn / the guys running it were really good about loaning equipment and such if you need an extra mat, or a sling or a loaner rifle.

My first Appleseed, my sling was horribly inappropriate. USGI cotton web slings are the way to go, if you don't already have one accept a loaner. Proper use of a decent sling is a huge part of what you'll learn.

Bring some anti-inflammatories and listen to what they tell you. It feels awfully awkward to "assume the positions" and if done right you will feel it the next day.

Don't forget to have fun. I'll do my 4th Appleseed this year at some point.

schnauzr

Bark Bark!
    Jun 6, 2016
    MoCo
    Thanks rob-cubed, luckily I took heed of that warning also and found a nice black USGI cotton one just as recommended. I have no idea how to use it but I'm sure they'll learn me. Good idea about the anti-inflammatories, will be sure to throw some in my range bag. Fun will be had!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom