• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I've been looking at 6.5 Grendel uppers and it seems like everything is rather cheap and I question its accuracy at longer ranges or so expensive its out of my price range. However I did find a complete 6.5G entry level upper from Precision Firearms for $850.

I think I'm going to build the upper but would like some advice and recommendations. Am I missing anything other than a go / no go gauge?

Looking at about $850 to build it myself which is the same as PF entry level upper price.

Alexander Arms Upper (unless Engage still has billet uppers in stock) $99

https://www.shopalexanderarms.com/DIY_Parts_Components-6_5_Grendel_Stripped_Upper_Receiver.html

Odin works 6.5 Grendel BCG $140

http://www.primaryarms.com/odin-wor...-black-nitride-bolt-carrier-group-acc-6-5-bcg

20" Criterion Barrel $325 (Crazy lead time though!!)

https://www.precisionfirearms.com/m8/6.5 Grendel Criterion Barrel--6-5-grendel-criterion-barrel.html

Mid West industries or equal 15" free float tube $200 +/-

SilencerCo Muzzle device $92

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    Does the barrel come with a matched bolt? If not, you need a bolt. You also need a gas tube and adjustable gas block (recommended) or a gas block.

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    I have a Seekins adjustable and a superlative arms adjustable. If you are looking at suppressing the rifle, I would go superlative. Other than that, user preference. My Seekins works and it was inexpensive. I hear really good things about SLR too. Never used one. Good luck. The Grendel is a very cool round

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I mean, it sounds good. My 6.5 upper is

Anderson stripper upper $35
    Classic Firearms upper build kit $12?
    Classic Firearms BCG $89
    Classic Firearms 18” nitrided fluted HBAR Barrel $99

5 shot groups
    Wolf Steel cased 4MoA
    Hornady Black 1.2MoA
    Federal Fusion .9MoA

It needs more break in as I’ve only put about 70 rounds through it on one range trip. So I suspect those numbers will shrink slightly. Groups were tightening up through the session.

Mine is for an AR-15 deer rifle. Not a precision rifle.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I mean, it sounds good. My 6.5 upper is

Anderson stripper upper $35
    Classic Firearms upper build kit $12?
    Classic Firearms BCG $89
    Classic Firearms 18” nitrided fluted HBAR Barrel $99

5 shot groups
    Wolf Steel cased 4MoA
    Hornady Black 1.2MoA
    Federal Fusion .9MoA

It needs more break in as I’ve only put about 70 rounds through it on one range trip. So I suspect those numbers will shrink slightly. Groups were tightening up through the session.

Mine is for an AR-15 deer rifle. Not a precision rifle.

Wow, that Wolf ammo didnt do so well. If you havent taken a deer with the Federal Fusion yet, you will be happy with the results. It's great hunting ammo :thumbsup:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It started at 6 inch groups...

Yeah it does NOT like it. I’ve honestly never shot anything that performed so badly. Federal truball slugs out of my 28” 870 12ga shoot 4 inch groups at 100yds. That is my next least accurate load combo.

But since it shoots the stuff I care about well, I am happy. It may have been a bad batch. All 50 or so rounds were from the same batch of 100rnds of Wolf I had gotten. I had bought two batches of 100. So I’ll see if any of the amok from the other batch shoots better.

No deer taken yet. I only got it together and sighted in in time to take it out in the late season and with the blizzard that hit the eastern shore I stuck close to home and only hunted Frederick city watershed for a half day when it was 3F out and 25mph gusts. Gave up when I followed the only set of deer tracks I found clear out of the hunting area and didn’t see a living thing in 6 hours.

I had up and phoned it in the rest of the season. I already had a spike from bow and a button from last day of early gun in the freezer.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Although Criterion Barrels are hard to beat, I like Odin Works barrels. I went with an 18" barrel. Here's a group at 100 yards.

Attachments

• DSC_0021_01.jpg
      DSC_0021_01.jpg
      35.2 KB · Views: 465
    • DSC_0045.jpg
      DSC_0045.jpg
      92.9 KB · Views: 475

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Another plug for Odin Works. Every product of theirs that I've purchased has exceeded expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom