• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    What's the general thought on .223 as a caliber for paper punching in a bolt action rifle? I'd like to have a nice bolt action centerfire that I can scope and practice marksmanship fundamentals. I pick .223 because it isn't as expensive as many of it's big brothers (.30-06; .308) and the local ranges will limit me to a few hundred yards at best anyway. Worst case scenario, is there any reason that XM193 can't be used in a bolt action? I stock that for my AR already.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'd see no issue with it. Guy I shoot with has a Savage (exact model escapes me) in .223 in a Choate stock, gets very respectable groups out of it, even running Wolf WPA .223 ammo.

Don't know about running full-power Nato thru it though.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I find my Mossberg MVP to be perfectly sufficient for my bolt-action, paper-punching needs, and an excellent complement to my AR-15. As long as you're realistic about what to expect from M193, it should be good enough.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I find my Mossberg MVP to be perfectly sufficient for my bolt-action, paper-punching needs, and an excellent complement to my AR-15. As long as you're realistic about what to expect from M193, it should be good enough.

Without getting into the .223 vs. .308 debate, could you take a deer with a .223 bolt gun and proper shot placement?

I know it's not advisable through a 16" AR, but what about a 20"+ bolt gun?

I know from experience that the .223 from my AR is sufficient for boar, but what would be the largest animal you would feel comfortable shooting be?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Proper shot placement, you could take one with a .17HMR, but for us MD'ers, to be legal it has to have 1200 ft./lbs at the muzzle (IIRC). Don't know about Fl. or other states.

Not sure if even a 20" develops the required ft./lbs. to be legal here.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Proper shot placement, you could take one with a .17HMR, but for us MD'ers, to be legal it has to have 1200 ft./lbs at the muzzle (IIRC). Don't know about Fl. or other states.

Not sure if even a 20" develops the required ft./lbs. to be legal here.

These are the "no-no's" in Florida for hunting deer (from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission - our DNR)

- Center fire semi-automatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds when hunting deer.
    - Nonexpanding full metal case (military ball) ammunition for taking deer.
    - Firearms using rim fire cartridges for taking deer.

So, it's allowed - but the last thing I would want is for the animal to suffer. I have a 308 but I was considering expanding my inventory and a .223 bolt sounds like a cheap fun way to practice fundamentals. However, I am a utilitarian, so I would like to be able to plink and hunt with it. Not sure if It's an option though...

Anyone successfully take dear with a .223 on a consistent basis?

Thanks for bringing this thread up Joppaj!

machman1967

Aug 30, 2009
    Frederick
    I like my .223 for hole punching (Remington 700). It's cheap fun and accurate. Be careful with the XM193 in a bolt gun. I assume its 5.56, and many bolt guns are for .223 only. (some bolt guns do say right on them 223 or 5.55), but I know mine will only shoot .223, but my Mini 14 can shoot either type.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It can be done, but the placement is definitely your focal point.

A good shot thru the heart and lungs will guarantee a humane drop, but it trashes the heart, which is good eating IMO.

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    Worst case scenario, is there any reason that XM193 can't be used in a bolt action? I stock that for my AR already.

My understanding is that 5.56 nato should not be used in guns chambered for .223, due to differences in the throats. (however .223 can be used in 5.56 nato) There are other threads going into the differences and why/why nots.
    .223 will work for deer with proper shot placement, but would not be my first choice. I have seen it used for bear, but that was after the dogs had treed it.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    So are there any bolt actions (Rem 700 or Savage preferred) that are chambered in 5.56?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So are there any bolt actions (Rem 700 or Savage preferred) that are chambered in 5.56?
    The Mossberg MVP is genuinely 5.56x45, with a 1:9 twist (I've fired 75gr Hornady Steelmatch from it with no problem). That said, the 700 and Savage should both be able to handle it, even if nominally chambered for .223... they have very strong actions.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    At work now so cant check their websites, but if i was going to use to hunt with ( varmits, deer, whatever), i would stay with .223 due to better bullet selection in factory loaded ammo.

This will likely be a dedicated paper puncher, I don't hunt at this time but that is a valid point.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The Savage is a good bolt-gun, even if some don't particularly care for it.

I'll see if I can find the model that the guy I shoot with has for you, it's a tack-driver.

Jul 26, 2012
    Maryland
    Was organizing some things and saw on the box of .22lr Remington golden bullets that the muzzle strength is 1260. I wouldn't do it but it looks like it's legally strong enough to take a deer with in MD.
    As for .223 , looks like a fun round to have at the range. Go for it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Was organizing some things and saw on the box of .22lr Remington golden bullets that the muzzle strength is 1260. I wouldn't do it but it looks like it's legally strong enough to take a deer with in MD.

Muzzle velocity is 1260 fps, muzzle energy is much less than that. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom