• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    [*]VTAC sling - The only thing on this rifle I regret buying. I would much rather have a completely plain $12 sling. There's nothing wrong with the VTAC sling, but it doesn't feel quite right.

If you want to sell, I know a guy that might be interested in buying it.

Build looks good.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm actually a bit surprised that the only trigger improvement you made was to get some JP Springs. Nothing wrong with those (I run the 4.5# ones in my own gun), but I've often felt like the trigger was a huge part of what makes or breaks a rifle for me. I'm running an RRA 2-stage and a Spike's Battle Trigger, so I'm not necessarily promoting spending a lot of money, either...

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Trigger

I'm actually a bit surprised that the only trigger improvement you made was to get some JP Springs. Nothing wrong with those (I run the 4.5# ones in my own gun), but I've often felt like the trigger was a huge part of what makes or breaks a rifle for me. I'm running an RRA 2-stage and a Spike's Battle Trigger, so I'm not necessarily promoting spending a lot of money, either...

I fully intended to buy a Timney 4.5lb skeleton trigger for this build, but after testing out some equally extravagant triggers at the local fun shop, I don't feel that much of a difference to warrant spending that much money. A standard trigger is what, $30? Is a Geiselle or Wilson combat really 6-8 times better? I may get a RRA trigger later if I want something lighter.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I won't comment on a technical level because I don't know squat about ARs.

But from a purely aesthetic perspective...that is an absolutely beautiful rifle. Well done.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I fully intended to buy a Timney 4.5lb skeleton trigger for this build, but after testing out some equally extravagant triggers at the local fun shop, I don't feel that much of a difference to warrant spending that much money. A standard trigger is what, $30? Is a Geiselle or Wilson combat really 6-8 times better? I may get a RRA trigger later if I want something lighter.
    I think a lot of it depends on how you're going to use the gun... or maybe I'm just really picky about triggers.

If you go the 2-stage route, I'd actually recommend looking into the CMMG 2-stage trigger. It has a rounded hammer, adjustment screw, and, so far, doesn't have the reputation for self-destructing that the RRA has. That's not to say the RRA is bad, of course.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007

If you've never tried a geissle trigger its hard not to look at the price and wonder if its worth it but its easy the best trigger in a rifle I've used except from some stupidly light bolt gun triggers. It is the proverbial glass rod.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    If you've never tried a geissle trigger its hard not to look at the price and wonder if its worth it but its easy the best trigger in a rifle I've used except from some stupidly light bolt gun triggers. It is the proverbial glass rod.

They are very good. The Wilson combat trigger is pretty good too and very durable. It just put a LMT 2-stage in my new pistol build and it isn't bad at all. Of course I only paid 50$ for it so it was a no brainer. I may clean up the first stage as it's a little gritty but it breaks clean with no creep on the second stage.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Funny that you mention Wilson Combat. It was their trigger that convinced me to stay with the stock trigger.
    I haven't tried a geissle trigger, but it would have to be MUCH better than a Wilson for me to buy one.
    Am I just an unrefined philistine who can't appreciate good things?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Funny that you mention Wilson Combat. It was their trigger that convinced me to stay with the stock trigger.
    I haven't tried a geissle trigger, but it would have to be MUCH better than a Wilson for me to buy one.
    Am I just an unrefined philistine who can't appreciate good things?

The Wilson triggers I have tried were outstanding. Maybe they have a new model or something. I can tell you for sure that one of them I tried basically could not be improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom