• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I just noticed, for anyone interested, that Midway USA has these on sale right now for $119.99, however, since it is on sale, you can't use the discount coupon.

crashmore

Dec 28, 2008
    Maryland
    I just got my all cut and drilled and I am having trouble with the locking block. I read/saw that there are issues with the G17 V2's having tighter tolerances and some people were able to force the locking block in but some were unable to and had to have a replacement sent. Mine is really tight, I was able to force it in with a hammer but was unable to get it to sit flush and line up with the hole for the front pin. Anyone else have the same or a similar issue?

In general these are not as quick and easy to build as some would lead you to believe. I ran into this and a few other issues on one. Patience and small changes until everything is right is key. Good news is once it’s done/running it should run well. After doing one and fighting through a bunch of little things like this to get it dialed in; I’m in no hurry to do another. Part of me thinks these are just too new to be completely dialed in yet. The ar 80s I’ve done with my 5d jig have been on the money every time in comparison with no other issues. I’m hoping these get to that same point.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    For those interested in a cheap OWB holster option - the factory Glock Sport Combat holster works with these pretty well!

I ordered the larger one (for .45/10mm) after reading a few posts saying that the P80 frames usually require larger holsters and the G17 P80 frame clicked in well. There is a little bit of top end slop but just a tiny bit (a lot less than putting a gen 4 G23 in there). Can flip it over and shake it pretty hard without the gun coming out.

*Edited to add* - if you decide to get one of these, definitely get the large frame one because once it's on your belt, the retention tightens up a bit (as the plastic is soft/pliable). Mine is on the tighter side of "good" retention once on my belt. That leads me to believe that the smaller frame holster would definitely be too tight.

Best part is that it was only ~$12 shipped from Amazon here. Good reviews and quite a bit of mod options out there on youtube.

Note that I have the extended mag release so I did cut out a little channel in the plastic to accommodate that. It did fit stock but there was enough pressure on the mag release that just a little more would cause the mag to drop. Cutting the plastic was easy with a knife - just a few minutes of time to complete.

Last edited:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I just finished a grey frame 19 this morning. This was my second one, the lower parts went in much easier the second time. Great kits!

I wonder if they’ll do the bigger frames, like for .45 and 10mm models?

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    On my P80 version 1.5 I used a file to remove some material from the sides of the frame in the front. Follow this by sanding with a fine sandpaper until smooth. It will now fit into any holster meant for a Glock 17.

My P80 version 2.0 would need the same modification to fit in it from what I can see. Right now it is resting comfortably in a universal holster on my webbed belt rig.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    On my P80 version 1.5 I used a file to remove some material from the sides of the frame in the front. Follow this by sanding with a fine sandpaper until smooth. It will now fit into any holster meant for a Glock 17.

My P80 version 2.0 would need the same modification to fit in it from what I can see. Right now it is resting comfortably in a universal holster on my webbed belt rig.

Yeah heard of this approach as well. I was hesitant to modify the frame vs. trying a $12 holster. Im happy enough with the holster that i wouldnt think about messing with the frame now.

Quite a few inexpensive holsters out there for these now... Ill stick with the glock one for now.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    It works great on the G19 as well.Thanks ZeroCool

Great! I figured that the 19 frame would work just as well based on the design of the Glock holster (its designed to be "universal" for that frame size).

After watching a few YT vids, I took a lighter to the belt "flaps" of mine and molded them inwards to be more contoured to my body. Quick and easy to do!

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    So I had a little time to mess with my build yesterday. As I said a few posts ago, I was having issues with the locking block sitting flush in the receiver and not lining up with the pin hole in the front. I tried blowing out any excess material, then removed a little bit of material from the bottom of the locking block, then I tried removing some material inside the rails of the receiver. None of that worked. I am not sure if the receiver or block was just out of specs or what. I ended up as some suggested, just chasing the pin hole of the receiver with the drill bit. That worked and I was able to get everything together and functioning. I have not been able to test fire it but I feel pretty good about it. I bought a 22 build kit as well, so I am looking for the next receiver deal to drop.

This may be a dumb question, I don't own any glocks, but my factory build kit came with a small locking block, looks like a half of the one provided with the P80 frame. Is that just something specific to the P80 and not actual glocks.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    That piece is your rear rails and should be installed behind the magazine well. It is held in place by the plastic pin in your kit.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    That piece is your rear rails and should be installed behind the magazine well. It is held in place by the plastic pin in your kit.

I think we are talking about two diff things, I installed the thinner metal piece behind the mag well and I believe that is what you are thinking of. This piece is thicker metal, basically the rear half of locking block. I didn't know if glock's stock frame had part of it integral and it was part of the 80 build that made it different. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that piece is not the rear rail. Everything seemed to operate fine, and the videos I watched to do the build didn't show it.

Wiley

MDS Supporter
    Jul 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I think that you are talking about the locking block for the factory Glock frame that comes with some of the frame kits. This is not used in the Poly 80 frame. They provide their own locking block to be used instead of the Glock locking block.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I think that you are talking about the locking block for the factory Glock frame that comes with some of the frame kits. This is not used in the Poly 80 frame. They provide their own locking block to be used instead of the Glock locking block.

This is what I figured, but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Wiley is correct.. the factory locking block is smaller than the P80 locking block that is provided with the P80 kits. Use the P80 locking block in one of their finished frames, not the factory part. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom