• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    They look damn nice . . . what exactly do they do though other than make people want them? Is it mainly a reliability thing or are there other benefits?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I've ran across a couple post dealer guns that people have parted out.

They are getting $5000 for the upper!

Way too much for me.

Watch a couple of the NFA market boards, they pop up for time to time.

But technically they are illegeal for civilian ownership because of the barrel. It is imported and that's a no-no now. The fact it has a F/A carrier isn't all that big of a deal.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    They look damn nice . . . what exactly do they do though other than make people want them? Is it mainly a reliability thing or are there other benefits?

Well, there is always this:
    The compact M4 carbine - a shortened version of the M16 - that is now standard issue for most Army troops, some Marines and other specialized units is facing increased criticism because of its tendency to malfunction with even the minutest exposure to the elements.

Some ground communities, including special operations forces, have begun to sideline the M4 in favor of newer, gas-piston operated variants such as the Heckler & Koch-manufactured 416...

Link: http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,131317,00.html?ESRC=army.nl

[Edit] I should note that after reading about the "M-4 problems" around the web that most soldiers are raising the BS flag on this article. They claim that the only people having problems are the ones that refuse to clean their rifles. Their advice is to take this article with a grain of salt, as the author "has an axe to grind". [/Edit]

Last edited:

Jamie Young

Mar 20, 2006
    Bushmaster and DSA are all marketing their own gas piston uppers (made by the same company) and the thing that cracks me up is the fact they admit it is more reliable than the standard AR. Somebody that makes the AR platform finally admits the rifle is not the most reliable.

I did my bitchin over here about my issues http://www.therallypoint.org/forum/index.php?topic=1004.0

When I get one, I'm going to test it out for awhile and if I like it, I might sell off half my semi-auto rifles for a couple more.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    Bushmaster and DSA are all marketing their own gas piston uppers (made by the same company) and the thing that cracks me up is the fact they admit it is more reliable than the standard AR. Somebody that makes the AR platform finally admits the rifle is not the most reliable.

To be fair, a company or service provider saying that the old model is unreliable or inconsistent when bringing a new version to the market isn't an unheard of marketing tactic. They want you to get the new shiny thing after all and are willing to cut into sales of old stock to do so.

Doesn't mean I'm any less interested in a gas piston upper though, it may delay completion of my planned AR build for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom