• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jlowe23

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2014
    Cecil County
    For anyone who was on the fence about the legality of the Colt LE6920SOCOM I ask First Sergeant Donald Pickle of the MSP to issue a "Determination Letter" on the Colt LE690SOCOM rifle.

Excerpt from the attached letter " As a result of the above information, the Maryland State Police Licensing Division accepts the COLT AR-15 MODEL M4A1-SOCOM does not meet the definition of a “copycat weapon” or the definition of a “copy” of an enumerated weapon and as such, exempted from the definition of regulated firearms, pursuant to the enumerated banned assault weapons list. Therefore, the firearm is not subject to Maryland’s Public Safety Article, Title 5, Sub-Title 1. The Maryland State Police has updated its Reviewed Firearms List to account for the COLT AR-15 MODEL M4A1-SOCOM"

I have the SOCOMS available for sale here:

http://store.jlowesguns.com/rifles/...e6920socom-556-nato-161-bbl-troy-rail-1523082

Attachments

• Colt AR-15 Model M4A1-SOCOM.pdf
      276.9 KB · Views: 711

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Attachment isn’t loading for me but MSP did update the list to show this as not banned online. Glad they finally did.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    I'm applauding the determination, but at the same time shaking my head. This is a crazy state we live.

Perhaps a stupid question,but I'll ask it anyway: does the First Sergeant of the MSP have that authority?

jlowe23

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2014
    Cecil County
    So does this mean other Rifles with a SOCOM barrel are "OK" also or is it only the Colt?

From my discussions with the MSP the Colt SOCOM barrel is good as it is advertised by Colt as being a heavy barrel.

A good example would be the LE6920HBPW. It has the same barrel configuration as the LE6920SOCOM and is also ok. Though the rifle itself has to still be in compliance with other MSP regulations even if it has the SOCOM barrel.

As to other SOCOM barrels made by manufactures other than Colt it depends on the specs and the way they are marketed by the manufacturer.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Sgt. Pickle, LOL.

This decision brought to you by the bottom of the MSP barrel, the same dumb fvchs who denied one of their (MSP) civilian helicopter pilots a carry permit even though he had a letter from the FSgt of the Aviation Command requesting he get a permit because of his duties with the MSP.

giphy.gif

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    OP, the date on your letter is the 6th of Sep. On another board over a month or more, someone from MD posted the question about 6920 SOCOM and I replied that I didn't think they were on the approved list.

Dang, he jumped on me and said my MD FFL said they are good-to-go. If your letter is dated the 6th of Sep, does that mean they weren't legal prior to the letter?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    OP, the date on your letter is the 6th of Sep. On another board over a month or more, someone from MD posted the question about 6920 SOCOM and I replied that I didn't think they were on the approved list.

Dang, he jumped on me and said my MD FFL said they are good-to-go. If your letter is dated the 6th of Sep, does that mean they weren't legal prior to the letter?
    Take a look at the list here ...

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

Or simply see the pics that I've attached below. SOCOM is listed twice, in a banned and unbanned configuration (M4A1-SOCOM). Wonder if this has to do with how Colt identified the barrel previously.
    bd209d4bcd45085856f089a514902622.jpg
    e4833810942587b65e805725dfd02bf5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Sgt. Pickle, LOL.

This decision brought to you by the bottom of the MSP barrel, the same dumb fvchs who denied one of their (MSP) civilian helicopter pilots a carry permit even though he had a letter from the FSgt of the Aviation Command requesting he get a permit because of his duties with the MSP.

giphy.gif

He wasn't the only one.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'll note that the Colt M4 LE6920HBPW isn't mentioned on the MD State Police list, but was advertised as a heavy barrel M4 rifle by Colt from the get go and includes this reference in the model number (HBPW).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jlowe23

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2014
    Cecil County

This model has always been Maryland compliant as per MSP guidance in that if it is advertised by the manufacture as having a heavy barrel then it is accepted as being a heavy barrel.

Since the LE6920SOCOM was listed on the MSP "banned" list this was confusing. Initially I spoke with several members of the MSP licensing division concerning the LE6920SOCOM. I was told that it was compliant as it was advertised by the manufacture as being a heavy barrel.

I received some feedback from some customers that they would feel better if I had it in writing. I then requested for the MSP licensing division to conduct a formal review of the LE6920SOCOM so that those who still had concerns would be put at ease. The result of the review is above in the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom