• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I fish the Lower Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay, any thoughts on the best way to arm a boat? I'm not a fan of CCW on my boat because when on the deck I would be standing directly over 225 gallons of gasoline. Also, I wouldnt want any additional weight strapped to me if I ended up in the water, even if only a few pounds. I'm considering a short shotgun that would fit easily through the doorway headed into the V-berth. I would keep it unloaded when off the boat, with a trigger lock, in a locked area (for what it's worth) and easily transport ammo with me in my carry on fishing bag each time. Also, any issue with an loaded/unloaded shotgun and ammo on a boat (for a CCW holder in all neighboring states)? Thoughts?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If I remember correctly, the Potomac and most of the Bay are MD jurisdiction so those laws would be the ones you need concern yourself with...unless you happen to land on VA shores. For long arms, to my way of thinking is a Mossberg 500/Maverick shotgun in brushed nickel finish for corrosion resistance and/or an SKS for a rifle would be great firearms for the purpose...reliable...well proven...and should something happen to them ("boat accident" or other event) there would be little need for crying. Another good shotgun for the purpose is one of the RIA shotguns in brushed nickel.

As far as where to keep them...I think a lot would depend on how your boat is set up. You want the firearm secure, not noticeable and accessible in a hurry. That's not an easy set of requirements to satisfy.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    1. ccw on a boat should have impact on the fuel tank beneath you. the round would likely strike your leg or nuts first. if it hits the fuel tank all that happens is it leaks. why would it go off?

2. for what purpose are you arming your boat? most purposes are going to benefit from immediate access.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    If I remember correctly, the Potomac and most of the Bay are MD jurisdiction so those laws would be the ones you need concern yourself with...unless you happen to land on VA shores. For long arms, to my way of thinking is a Mossberg 500/Maverick shotgun in brushed nickel finish for corrosion resistance and/or an SKS for a rifle would be great firearms for the purpose...reliable...well proven...and should something happen to them ("boat accident" or other event) there would be little need for crying. Another good shotgun for the purpose is one of the RIA shotguns in brushed nickel.

As far as where to keep them...I think a lot would depend on how your boat is set up. You want the firearm secure, not noticeable and accessible in a hurry. That's not an easy set of requirements to satisfy.

I have the shotguns referenced above, that was going to be my choice. I can store the firearm locked and out of sight, then quickly make it accessible each time I head out on the boat, then stow them at the end of the day. thanks

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    1. ccw on a boat should have impact on the fuel tank beneath you. the round would likely strike your leg or nuts first. if it hits the fuel tank all that happens is it leaks. why would it go off?

2. for what purpose are you arming your boat? most purposes are going to benefit from immediate access.

I'm not standing directly over 225 gallons of gasoline and wiring with a firearm pointed straight down. I don't want additional weight strapped to me in the event I end up in the water.

For what purpose? The exact same purpose we CCW.

thanks

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I just take my normal carry gun and put it in my cabin when I get there. I'm intrigued by a dedicated marine gun, but not sure I want to leave it on the boat unattended. I'm not worried at all that I might ignite the diesel in the tank, seems like a non-issue.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    ^^ Yep, Diesel is a bit different...... I've considered stowing my carry gun, but something like a dedicated Mossberg Shockwave is ~$400, very compact, and can be stored in a rust-preventing zipper bag. thanks!

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I'm not standing directly over 225 gallons of gasoline and wiring with a firearm pointed straight down. I don't want additional weight strapped to me in the event I end up in the water.

For what purpose? The exact same purpose we CCW.

thanks

so you are willing to have said firearm pointed at your body but not at your fuel tank? that will literally not explode if you shoot it...

have you ever heard of a gun going off in the holster without an external force? other than some crappy springfield or a few recalled sigs?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    How in God's name is a pistol pointing down an issue to anything?
    You do know people carry pistols on planes in all kind of different positions.
    I'm trying to understand the concern.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    The only round I would be concerned about carrying on a boat would be a 10mm. If it went off not only would it pierce the tank but continue through the center of the earth and strike someone on the exact opposite side of the world. Always know what is behind your target ;)

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    so you are willing to have said firearm pointed at your body but not at your fuel tank? that will literally not explode if you shoot it...

have you ever heard of a gun going off in the holster without an external force? other than some crappy springfield or a few recalled sigs?

Not sure how you carry however all my IWB/OWB holsters predominantly align the barrel relatively parallel to my body, not at my body.

If you want to stand over 225 gallons of gasoline, 3 large batteries and a lot of wiring and touch off a few rounds as a test, please let me know how that works out.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    How in God's name is a pistol pointing down an issue to anything?
    You do know people carry pistols on planes in all kind of different positions.
    I'm trying to understand the concern.

Howdy, I'm just concerned carrying directly over 200+ gallons of gasoline, 2400CCA of a battery bank, wiring, etc. if there is an alternative, like a dedicated boat long gun on a hot, 95* day, dripping sweat, fish blood, etc..,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom