• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Isn't one of the Coast Guard Regs is to carry a Flare Gun? I bet an accidental discharge flare bouncing around the deck only to land on my plastic gas tank could be a lot more fun then your 10mm!

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I'm not standing directly over 225 gallons of gasoline and wiring with a firearm pointed straight down. I don't want additional weight strapped to me in the event I end up in the water.

The weight is pretty trivial, and if you end up in the water and feel its causing you problems, ditch it. It may be the first firearm lost to an actual boating accident. :)

I agree with the other comments about a holstered firearm not going off on its own. Now if you're carrying an unholstered glock in your boxers, you earned your darwin.

However, if it really concerns you that much, get a DA/SA and carry it decocked. Unless you think its going to cock itself and fire? If that's not good enough carry it condition 3 (loaded mag, no round in chamber). That's still far more available than an unloaded long gun stowed on the boat somewhere.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Upgrade the boat. You know it makes sense.

Attachments

• BB61_USS_Iowa_BB61_broadside_USN.jpg
      BB61_USS_Iowa_BB61_broadside_USN.jpg
      93.7 KB · Views: 200

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Boats can be heavy. I try not to carry them.

Offshore, some people that go further out will carry a shotgun. Way more important than that is an EPIRB or other locating beacon.
    Way more important to carry on you is a non folding knife or something to cut a line with.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    MD considers a boat the same kind of vehicle as a car or truck. No loaded transport outside of Wear and Carrry permit.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Everybody raise your hands , how many rounds have your holstered pistols discharged into the floor/ ground while snapped in ?

Ok , personally , Apendix carry is a step too far for me , and literal small of the back has too much chance for spinal injury.

The next sequential group of paranoia freaks out over shoulder holsters and crossdraw , loudly insisting that the only Safe way to carry is on the hip, pointing down .

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I do know of at least one legit lost in a boating accident . Unfortunately the carrier died , but he did ditch the gun in the water first in apparent attempt to swim .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom