• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    FWIW, I have owned and extensively shot my Super Blackhawk since 1980. I wanted wooden, nice grips. Bought some,
    reshaped most of them.

The since best grip I have used is the original second week of ownership ugly Pachmyer grip I purchased. Saves the middle finger knuckle, too.

I, too, tried to get away from those "hideous rubber grips". But they are on my Super permanently because they work. I'd rather shoot it
    well than look at it just as well.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    10 inches plus the complete travel of the rear sight @ 25 feet almost certainly Isn't the sights . To be that far off , the front sight would be very visabley canted to the right , like 1:30 position instead of 12:00 straight up .

Center the rear sight windage, and experement with your grip and trigger finger placement . I don't know your hand and finger size , bit having your trigger finger touching the right side of the frame has me scratching my head . For a default starting point , have the center of the pad of your finger touching the trigger .

The 4 5/8 version of the "Super" Blackhawk uses the standard size grips ( stocks) instead of the usual SBH stocks . I want to say it is steel grip frame instead of alloy, but I'd have to break into my safe to check mine .

The one potential gripe about the usual SBH grips/ grip frame is that for at least 1/3 of users, the squareback ( Dragoon) triggergaurd will smack your middle finger with magnum loads . The Pachmyer and Hogue rubber grips are ugly, and seriously change the dynamics of the gun rolling with recoil . BUT they are shaped so as to protect the middle finger from damage . As long as no Ruger Collectors are standing near to b##ch slap you for the blasphemy , the are cheap enough , and commonly found used , to just try a set to see if the shape is more comfortable for heavy loads . If so , then you can spend the $$ for nice wood oversize grips .

For SAA or standard Blackhawk size grips , for people with large hands , the usual technique is to curl your pinkie finger underneath the butt . This does seem at aid the steadiness and control .

Indeed , purposeful offhand shooting is the best way to increase your marksmanship skills . But for testing of the Gun , or the Ammunition on purpose , remove as many of the variables as possible , and shoot from rest/ braced for testing .

You didn't mention what general area you were , perhaps there is a nearby experienced SA shooter who could testfire it for you .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Shot a single action .454 once. THAT aint fun

Non-hand howitzers IS fun :D

.32acp are my favorite handguns TBH. steel framed 9mm are a darned close second.

I just don’t get a kick out of recoil. Which doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy shooting .357 mag, .45acp what have you. Recoil doesn’t intimidate me. But there is just something really fun about something that doesn’t kick a ton, is smooth, etc.

22lr is a bit too little for me to be enjoyable as a handgun. Unless it’s plinking at fun things like reactive targets. Plates. Etc.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I really appreciate the feedback.

So I have been experimenting with how I hold the pistol and the pinky finger curled under seem to work ok. I think maybe I was chocking up on the grip to high which was giving me a weird angle on the trigger. That also may have been the reason my trigger finger was contacting the frame. Now I’m pulling more strait back on the trigger.

As for my grip I have been experimenting with the pressure I hold onto it. I try to squeeze the grip until my hand starts trembling then back of untill it steadies. I figured this would give me a consistent grip pressure.

I recentered the sights and I’m still pulling shots to the left but not as extreme as I first started. My trigger pull may still need some work.

I have the 5.5 barrel with the rounded trigger guard so I hav’nt had any issues with it’s making my finger yet. I think with more practice I will be able to make the stock grip work for now. IM actually having a lot of fun learning this weapon. I’ve been loading some of my cast 240 swc to around 900 FPS and it’s a comfortable load to practice with.

I’ve also been loading 7 1/2 birdshot in Speer capsules. They are deadly on the rats raiding my feed shed. Also pretty fun tossing cans up in the air and blasting them.

Attachments

• B3725EAB-3DD6-4BC9-9E82-1F09A7D50225.jpg
      B3725EAB-3DD6-4BC9-9E82-1F09A7D50225.jpg
      82.5 KB · Views: 122

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    The 5.5 inch Super Blackhawk has the Blackhawk sized grip frame but it is made of steel.

If you are shooting 10 inches off, sounds like a gun problem. Have a gunsmith check the clocking. Does the POI stay the same with the light load?

The easiest way to tame recoil is the Houge grips. They are ugly but really work. Had them on my 5.5 and they at least made it manageable.

Mag-Na-Port really works for me with the Ruger single action. If you want to keep the guns looks, have that done.

Had a 4 and 5/8 inch Vaquero in 44 Magnum. It also shot left, but not much. I tried it with one hand and it shot to POA.

A heavy trigger pull can also throw you off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom