• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I don’t want to buy a handgun. I just want a stripped AR receiver to build a lower for the 224 Valkyrie upper I just assembled. Apparently I need an HQL for this.

Who/how is a check done to see if someone is exempt from having to take the HQL course? I purchased two handguns in the late 1990’s when I was a resident of Alaska, filling out all the required paperwork at that time. I have not purchased a handgun since or in MD. MDSP website is not particularly helpful.

Also, according to the MDSP website, there is no vendors or law enforcement facilities in Cecil county that do the fingerprinting. Closest seems to be Bel Air. Does anyone know a Cecil county vendor that can/will do this?

Thanks.

PS – What a bunch of crap.

I don’t want to buy a handgun. I just want a stripped AR receiver to build a lower for the 224 Valkyrie upper I just assembled. Apparently I need an HQL for this.

Who/how is a check done to see if someone is exempt from having to take the HQL course? I purchased two handguns in the late 1990’s when I was a resident of Alaska, filling out all the required paperwork at that time. I have not purchased a handgun since or in MD. MDSP website is not particularly helpful.

Also, according to the MDSP website, there is no vendors or law enforcement facilities in Cecil county that do the fingerprinting. Closest seems to be Bel Air. Does anyone know a Cecil county vendor that can/will do this?

Thanks.

PS – What a bunch of crap.

An HQL is not required for a stripped lower. A MSP 77r and a 7 day wait are required.
    Reach out to JLowesGuns in the industry partner section. He is in Rising Sun and a top notch guy.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    When I put a stripped lower in the cart on the JLowes website and try to check out, a message indicates an HQL is required for a regulated firearm. I thought that was specific to the lower/product in the cart as it could be made into a pistol. Thanks for clarifying this for me. (BTW - I have left multiple messages with JLowes with no response.)

I'll try just placing the order.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    When I put a stripped lower in the cart on the JLowes website and try to check out, a message indicates an HQL is required for a regulated firearm. I thought that was specific to the lower/product in the cart as it could be made into a pistol. Thanks for clarifying this for me. (BTW - I have left multiple messages with JLowes with no response.)

I'm guessing he has the HQL requirement on the website so that folks will come in and do the 77R paperwork and the 7 day wait according to MSP.

Send him a PM here.
    JLowe is a great guy- probably just a website glitch.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ll second. John/Jlowe is a great and easy going patriot... Send him a note and he’ll take care of you... just give John a little time...

At least in the past he has gotten back to me in about a day, day and a half when I have PM’d on the site here.

jlowe23

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2014
    Cecil County

Sorry you are having trouble reaching me. I have been super crazy here lately with the up coming gun laws. I am backed up on my phone voice mails.

You can email me at john@jlowesguns.com or PM me here. I will get back to you shortly.

Thanks

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    FYI to all

I have done business and had transfers done for me by John previously, and will support his business now and in the future.
    We have closed the communication loop, and I placed a couple of orders.
    It's all good.

JamesBarto

Feb 19, 2019
    Harford County
    Honestly i had the same issue a couple weeks ago, purchased a stripped lower receiver to an FFL. Due to the fact you can convert a stripped lower receiver to either a Pistol ar15 or ar15 rifle, the FFL i went through had me fill out the MSPD form online which took a period of 7 days for the background check to go through. Even though i specified it being built into a Rifle, not a pistol version. Guess it depends on the FFL you go through, didn't complain about it too much had all the time in the world to wait for it honestly.

Last edited:

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Honestly i had the same issue a couple weeks ago, purchased a stripped lower receiver to an FFL. Due to the fact you can convert a stripped lower receiver to either a Pistol ar15 or ar15 rifle, the FFL i went through had me fill out the MSPD form online which took a period of 7 days for the background check to go through. Even though i specified it being built into a Rifle, not a pistol version. Guess it depends on the FFL you go through, didn't complain about it too much had all the time in the world to wait for it honestly.

I believe _all_ FFL's are required by MSP to do stripped lowers on e77R with 7 day wait, regardless of what you say it will be.

Just the HQL is *not* required.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Stripped lowers have been on a 77r since they allowed them for sale again. Back in about 2014.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom