• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Although your science experiment did not pan out, the hanging semi-decomposed heads should act as a strong deterrent to trespassers, etc. ;)

I’ve offered to stake some deer skulls on fence posts of my wife’s garden to act as a warning to cervid trespassers. She is considering it.

Also unlikely to deter them unfortunately.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Flesh them out and throw in a bucket of water to speed along. Keep down wind of the house.
    Burying them in a manure shed works good to if your near some chicken houses but keep an eye on the skull because that will really be hard on the bones. You could wind up with nothing if you forget about them.

Usually I just cut the skull cap and hang it in the barn and at some point I'll cut the antlers into chew toys for the dogs. Last year I thought I'd try something different, I'll leave them hang and see how long it takes. They're a good 60 yards from the house, even during the summer you had to get close to catch a whiff of decomposition. I have plenty of horse manure and chicken manure so maybe I'll try burying the next one.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I’ve offered to stake some deer skulls on fence posts of my wife’s garden to act as a warning to cervid trespassers. She is considering it.

Also unlikely to deter them unfortunately.

I think your right, I've seen tracks where they've walked right by a skeleton laying in the woods. They'll probably avoid it while it's stinking but once it's just bones they seem to ignore it.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    I think your right, I've seen tracks where they've walked right by a skeleton laying in the woods. They'll probably avoid it while it's stinking but once it's just bones they seem to ignore it.

I've seen trail cam pics of old butcher shop bones decomposing deep in the woods. Was crazy how many deer cam to investigate. More deer than bear, coyotes or foxes.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Yeah, I haven’t been back in my woods near where I dumped it, but Saturday afternoon was a fawn in the backwoods and Wednesday morning a doe in my side meadow. So two gut piles (doe was in the neighbor’s side woods when it dropped, she’s cool with me hunting her 4.4 acres). Wednesday evening I watched a big doe walk within about 20ft from where the gut pile from Saturday was and pretty sure yesterday and today deer have been walking by within about 30yds of the other gut pile.

It was (stupidly) freaking me out that I saw a couple deer in my front woods yesterday morning, but literally the last deer pic on my trail cam was the picture of the doe I shot probably
    10 seconds before she took a bolt. And I saw nothing moving through the side yard at all the last 36hrs. I guess partly because I almost every day see a couple come up from the creek to my side yard in the morning and through the neighbor’s woods along their fence in the evening to my side yard.

Repositioned my trail cam to point right at the mineral block and where they come in from the neighbor’s, scattered a couple pounds of corn around it and went back in. Two hours later, a big doe and a huge doe licking the block and eating the corn. Look out front 10 minutes later, 9 deer standing in my front woods. 10 minutes later 5 of them had moved back to the mineral block and eat some more corn.

I guess I need to chill and remember sometimes it does go a day or two without deer coming through one part of the yard and then inundated multiple times a day for days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom