Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 9th, 2019, 07:25 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
What other small arms ammunition of WWII came pre-loaded in magazines?
None. Not even the Garand enbloc "clip".
The 1903 used 5 rnd chargers.

I don't believe other countries had pre-loaded mags.
Most had 5 rnd chargers such as the K98.
Old September 9th, 2019, 07:43 PM #12
The M1 Does My Talking

The M1 Does My Talking

Garand ammo usually comes in spam cans which hold 4 bandoleers of 6 clips each, for a total of 192 rounds per spam can. Alternatively, it comes in reusable ammo cans with hinged lids, same 4 bandoleers per can.

The bandoleers are made of cotton cloth, a long closed cloth tape or ribbon with six pockets holding one clip each. A cardboard insert on each pocket protects the cloth from the bullet tips. The same bandoleers would be issued with two 5 round stripper clips per pocket for the 1903 rifles.

Soldiers would drape the bandoleers over their shoulders, as many as they could.

The bandoleers like the clips and the brass cases were all one use, though they can be reused. I've probably got at least a hundred bandoleers with cardboards, as well as boxes of clips in my basement.

People used to sell them on the CMP forum, something like 4 bandoleers with 24 clips and cardboards, for $35 or $40, but that was a, while ago.
Threeband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 08:00 PM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
The article also stated that further purchase of the clip loaders was ceased after loaded clips became readily available from ammunition manufacturers. Garand was a government employee and rights to his patent would be held by the government meaning manufacturers making ammo for the government could use it fee free. I suspect that an automated version was used for large scale production. This would be similar to the difference between home (re)loading of cartridges versus factory.

What other small arms ammunition of WWII came pre-loaded in magazines?
Yeah, I knew ammo was delivered from the factory packed in whatever form desired, but I'm not sure what method they used to fill the clips. I haven't seen video or photos of the factories doing the loading.

The Army had an Ammunition Identification Code for each type of packaging for ammo (see link below), so you can see what carton or clip and what can or crate was used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeband View Post
Garand ammo usually comes in spam cans which hold 4 bandoleers of 6 clips each, for a total of 192 rounds per spam can. Alternatively, it comes in reusable ammo cans with hinged lids, same 4 bandoleers per can.
The M20 spam cans of four bandoleers each didn't come around until 1948 and were meant to be a universal can that could be used for all calibers of small arms ammo. I don't believe packing four to a .30 cal MG can (like the M1 or later the M19, or M19A1) came about until postwar either. The M5 can was the first spam can to be introduced in 1943 specifically for .45 ACP. The other spam cans followed.

During WWII, bandoleers of .30/06 in en blocs would be packed 1344rd (28 bandoleers) to an M1917 wooden chest or 240rd (five bandoleers) to an M8 spam can, two of which would be packed in an M9 wooden crate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...og_designation
ken792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 08:04 PM #14
The M1 Does My Talking

The M1 Does My Talking

That makes sense because I always found it a frustratingly slow process to open those spam cans for a measly 4 bandoleers.
Threeband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 08:13 PM #15

Quote:
That makes sense because I always found it a frustratingly slow process to open those spam cans for a measly 4 bandoleers.
Four or five is a reasonable weight in a can to expect a infantryman to grab and move. The weight is similar to a 250rd belt in a can for a Browning MG, so they'd probably be used to it. The M1917 chest of 28 bandoleers isn't exactly a user friendly way to transport ammo on foot.
ken792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 08:41 AM #16

Quote:

The bandoleers are made of cotton cloth, a long closed cloth tape or ribbon with six pockets holding one clip each. A cardboard insert on each pocket protects the cloth from the bullet tips. The same bandoleers would be issued with two 5 round stripper clips per pocket for the 1903 rifles.

Soldiers would drape the bandoleers over their shoulders, as many as they could.

The bandoleers like the clips and the brass cases were all one use, though they can be reused. I've probably got at least a hundred bandoleers with cardboards, as well as boxes of clips in my basement.

People used to sell them on the CMP forum, something like 4 bandoleers with 24 clips and cardboards, for $35 or $40, but that was a, while ago.
They still sell them.

If you ever want to get rid of some bandoleers and cardboards, let my know. I would like to have a few.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 10:58 AM #17
Professional Pyro

Professional Pyro

I would love to get the drawings for the Garand designed loader and make one.
Old September 14th, 2019, 10:00 PM #18
Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildnBurn View Post
I would love to get the drawings for the Garand designed loader and make one.
Not Garand's but here are drawings for a clip loader:
http://www.foundry.ray-vin.com/ocl/ocl.htm

And here is a CMP Forum thread on the subject:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=235813

YouTube of a home made loader:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvXmetBDFkU
Blacksmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 09:05 AM #19
Professional Pyro

Professional Pyro

Thank you
Old September 16th, 2019, 09:57 AM #20
SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Quote:

Our club used to get M2 Ball from the DCM in .50 cal cans, with the rounds in the en bloc clips, 6 clips per bandoleer and 384 rounds per can - 768 rounds per case.

We also got .30 cal cans of M2 Ball in clips, in bandoleers, 280 rounds per can, with 1120 rounds (4 cans) per sealed case.

This was all LC-68; LC-69 and LC-72.
Originally Posted by K31 01/06/2015 @ 6:59 p.m.
There's nothing quite like standing on the firing line, stuffing your ramrod down a waiting black hole, slathering your balls with grease, and then having as many as eight nipples.

With regard to reloading:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff7mm 04/28/2016, 07:32 PM
Dealing with stuff that can cause catastrophic failure in your firearms, and injury or death to you and those in close proximity. I treat every step as if my life depends on it.
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading