• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    Looking to a take a week off to archery hunt this fall. If you guys could, which week would you schedule off to hunt? I'm debating on the last week of Oct or 1st or 2nd week of Nov.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    First full week of November with an emphasis on the latter part of that week. Ideally I’d do Wednesday of the first week through Wednesday of the second week.

Last edited:

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    if you are on private ground that is not heavily hunted, later is better. If you are hunting public land, earlier is better, fewer hunters, game less spooked, game has not migrated to get away from humans. you can get ahead of the rut by being to early, depending on locale. November is usually better to hang your meat.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Your time frame is dead-on. If you can take off work without too much advanced notice, wait until that week where you start seeing more and more dead deer on the road when you drive to and from work. That’s when they’re getting moving. Get in the woods immediately!

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Your time frame is dead-on. If you can take off work without too much advanced notice, wait until that week where you start seeing more and more dead deer on the road when you drive to and from work. That’s when they’re getting moving. Get in the woods immediately!

I used to drive on 70 and 15 to work. I could always tell exactly when the rut started!

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I always liked to bow hunt around Halloween. The rut is just about to kick in and the bucks are on the prowl. The calls seem to work really well around this time.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    If you have the option to decide last minute wait and watch for the right wind. Aside from some less than normal behavior during the rut the wind makes ALL the difference in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom