• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zman9398

Jan 15, 2017
    So I am 18 and I'm looking to start a lr-308 build (dpms ar-10). I understand that I cannot own an ar-15 lower because they are regulated, but I have recently spoken to MSP Firearms Unit that it is legal for me to own an ar-10 lower because they are not regulated and I would not have to fill out a 77r form. Any input on this? Is this true? And anyone use either the aero m5 set or the v Seven harbinger set?

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I believe you would just have to fill out the paperwork just like buying a long gun. Don't believe there is a need for the 77r. Just call a local gun shop and ask them.

Zman9398

Jan 15, 2017
    Just spoke to them again and they said I have to be 21 for all lower Recievers. I got the answer I was expecting now.

tdoom44

Feb 15, 2017
    Z-man, Ar15 Lowers are classified as Lowers that can be used to build a Handgun...Therefore if you live out of state you would probably not be allowed to buy that Lower and since they are classified as a possible Pistol build you being under 21 would Not be allowed to purchase one even if you live in the same state....unless your state allows purchase of a handgun at age 18...In Indiana we have to be 21 yrs old to legally purchase a handgun as well as any AR15 Lower bought separately.. Also the AR15/AR10 Lower in a Serial Numbered Component and Does require that a Form 4473 be filled out...Hope that helps

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    Z-man, Ar15 Lowers are classified as Lowers that can be used to build a Handgun...Therefore if you live out of state you would probably not be allowed to buy that Lower and since they are classified as a possible Pistol build you being under 21 would Not be allowed to purchase one even if you live in the same state....unless your state allows purchase of a handgun at age 18...In Indiana we have to be 21 yrs old to legally purchase a handgun as well as any AR15 Lower bought separately.. Also the AR15/AR10 Lower in a Serial Numbered Component and Does require that a Form 4473 be filled out...Hope that helps

This is a catch 22 as the AR-15 pistols were how we were able to weaken FSA 2013 along with AK pistols . You would be better off buying a complete AR-15 right now if you have the cash then trying to build one right now. Engage has one for sale for less then 600 cash and carry which is a good deal if you wanted to get an AR right now for the price you would be building one. You could always build the upper right now and get the lower later down the road if your true desire is to actually build one right now.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    This is a catch 22 as the AR-15 pistols were how we were able to weaken FSA 2013 along with AK pistols . You would be better off buying a complete AR-15 right now if you have the cash then trying to build one right now. Engage has one for sale for less then 600 cash and carry which is a good deal if you wanted to get an AR right now for the price you would be building one. You could always build the upper right now and get the lower later down the road if your true desire is to actually build one right now.

This ^

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Yes. the "money" part is the upper. That's the bread and butter of the gun(fire control group aside).

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    This is not precisely on topic as I see that the OP is under 21. But I can confirm that as a person who is over the age of 21, all my large frame AR lower purchases have been cash and carry w/ no need for form 77r.

On topic, I tend to agree with the advice suggesting the OP purchase an entire rifle.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Ok....

Federal law dictates that frames/receivers can only be transferred to somebody that is 21 years of age or older. This has nothing to do with MD laws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom