• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Long Did It Take TO Get Your HQL Approval?

• < 1 Day

Votes: 70 7.3%
    • 2 Days

Votes: 60 6.3%
    • 3 Days

Votes: 44 4.6%
    • 4 Days

Votes: 22 2.3%
    • 5 Days

Votes: 31 3.2%
    • 6 Days

Votes: 18 1.9%
    • 7 Days

Votes: 47 4.9%
    • 8 Days

Votes: 21 2.2%
    • 9 Days

Votes: 30 3.1%
    • 10+ Days

Votes: 611 63.8%
    • Denied HQL

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

BusaJ52

Jul 13, 2016
    Cecil
    Application\License Fee Completed Jul/16/16

DHMH Completed Jul/23/16

Active 8/9/16

received in mail 8/18/16

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    applied 07/25 active 08/21 (wow on a Sunday) now waiting on mail box delivery. Can we purchase one now or do we have to wait for the actual license to be in hand?

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Hmm...i applied on 7/29. So far only one check has been completed. Fux

And magically overnight the gremlins did their work and magically it is now active...

Now i will go stand by the mailbox....and wait...

bob finger

Jul 24, 2016
    Can we purchase one now or do we have to wait for the actual license to be in hand?

Depends on the dealer. You WILL need the card in hand before you pick it up after quarantine. bob

VTHokies

Aug 26, 2016
    Bel Air
    Made an account just to post this update since this thread helped me out a lot.

Applied August 2nd, active August 26th.

I also used the online hunters course from the state of Texas for my training exempt application, and everything went smoothly.

DubleTap

Nov 19, 2011
    Made an account just to post this update since this thread helped me out a lot.

Applied August 2nd, active August 26th.

I also used the online hunter's course from the state of Texas for my training exempt application, and everything went smoothly.

VT, I am curious, has something changed regarding training qualifications? How did you get the Live Fire portion of the Training done with an Out of State Hunter Safety Course (Texas) Has MSP placed the Texas Online Course on an Approved List? As stated on the MSP Info site:

Persons required to have a Handgun Qualification License, but exempt from the training component:

Have completed a Maryland State Police (MSP) approved certified firearms safety course.
    Have completed a course of instruction and been issued a certificate of competency in firearms and hunter safety from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.
    Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
    Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
    Is an employee of an armored car company who has a valid Wear and Carry Permit issued by MSP.
    Lawfully owns a regulated firearm. If you own a regulated firearm prior to October 1, 2013, you are not required to complete the training and may apply for the Handgun Qualification License.

Just curious because that will certainly make it easy for a heck of allot of people. And allot of people that paid for a Maryland Training Course with LiveFire will not be real thrilled either ): :mad54:

UPDATE: I was so surprised at that I went GOOGLING and found out what was going on. Evidently, they have relaxed their position on this as a friend of mine was denied in the beginning of this HQL debacle using that exact course. If anyone would like to know what's up and more info, check out this thread I posted below. I love it when we win one for the good guys. But I still have a feeling this may not last long knowing how this state works.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=152111

VTHokies

Aug 26, 2016
    Bel Air
    UPDATE: I was so surprised at that I went GOOGLING and found out what was going on. Evidently, they have relaxed their position on this as a friend of mine was denied in the beginning of this HQL debacle using that exact course. If anyone would like to know what's up and more info, check out this thread I posted below. I love it when we win one for the good guys. But I still have a feeling this may not last long knowing how this state works.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=152111

This is the exact thread I went by to submit my application. I was just providing an update that this still seems to work for anyone who wants to go this route.

Rhome3

Jan 3, 2016
    I was approved the 28th of July and still haven't received my HQL (a month later). Did anyone else have this problem ? I had to call and ask for a duplicate.

Nosce Hostem

MDS Supporter
    Aug 26, 2016
    Northern Balt. County, MD
    Applied on 8/18. DHMH completed on 8/23.
    Training marked as incomplete on 8/29 so I emailed to ask if there was a problem with the DD-214 that I submitted for the exemption to training. Got back a form email response stating that they have 30 days by law to process and that they will take the full 30 days, no comment on the original question that I emailed and asked about. Haha. Got to love it.

Jan 1, 2013
    Kingsville
    Applied 8/1, card dated 8/24, letter signed 8/25, post marked 9/1 got it today 9/6. So it took them 6 days to mail it, but I'm happy now even though it cost me $110 total to get.

duckduckgoose

Sep 7, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    Application: 7/29/16
    Online Approval with HQL Number: 8/25/16
    Card in Mail: Still Waiting.

I'm estimating it's going to take around 60-65 days before I will walk out of a store with my gun. Absurd.

Edit: For the record, I used the Training Exempt- Hunters Education forms. I took the online Texas Hunters Education without a field day training (took it 2 years ago for my hunting license) in order to qualify for training exempt.

Nosce Hostem

MDS Supporter
    Aug 26, 2016
    Northern Balt. County, MD
    Applied on 8/18. DHMH completed on 8/23.
    Training marked as incomplete on 8/29 so I emailed to ask if there was a problem with the DD-214 that I submitted for the exemption to training. Got back a form email response stating that they have 30 days by law to process and that they will take the full 30 days, no comment on the original question that I emailed and asked about. Haha. Got to love it.

UPDATE: Approved on 9/12 and received the card today 9/16. Now to spend the weekend hemming and hawing over what exactly I want to treat myself to. :)

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Applied 8/17
    Approved 9/15
    Recieved my card 9/21

What a joke. Other than the finger prints that registered a few days after, everything waited until the last 3 or 4 days.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Fd3stt

Sep 1, 2016
    Baltimore, Maryland
    My HQL took about a month.

Applied 8/4 and the MSP site said my HQL was active on 9/7 or 9/8, I forget which. Got the card in the mail a week or so after.

Being able to check the status was helpful, even if the process is a pain in the ass and costs too much money. I wish I could check the status of my C&R application as easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom