• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    Any tips on equipment? I already have my air compressor. Need my airbrushes now. I am going to be spraying a couple of my least favorites first before I start on my carry and target shooting gear.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I'm sure you already researched, but make sure the surface is clean, clean and clean. I used cerakote and had decent results for someone who isn't a professional.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Any tips on equipment? I already have my air compressor. Need my airbrushes now. I am going to be spraying a couple of my least favorites first before I start on my carry and target shooting gear.

Iwata and Paasche are good brands in the mid price range. Top feed will allow you to spray with lower air pressure than siphon feed., but not 100% necessary. If you get a siphon feed type get one with a small cup not a big jar attached. You want to spray with as low a pressure possible without clogging and maintain a good even spray pattern. The idea is to make sure the paint doesn't dry too much while in the air. It will look flat and doesn't stick as well.

Post your test results too. I'd like to see.

I'm planning on trying out a cerakote camo job on a very cheap shotgun as a test. Just waiting until it's a bit warmer to build a temporary spray booth in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland

you just missed a nice air brush set in the MDS classifieds, just checked its not listed anymore,

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Just finished a project with duracoat.. being that it was my first time I'd say it's all about finding the right tip, and air pressure for your project

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have to check mine, but I have one I picked up at the Toledo Hobby show.

It is more like a mini spray gun, but can go from almost pencil thin lines to a fairly wide swath.

Worked great when I Duracoated a handguard and optic.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    For an airbrush and Duracoat I'd use a Paasche H with a #5 tip for the base color and a #3 tip for the camo. DO NOT use an Iwata, you will regret it if you don't clean it fast enough. The first set for the Paasche H here is a great deal at $57 http://www.dixieart.com/H_Single_Action.html#H

I've owned the same Paasche H since Christmas 1972 and it's still going strong. I've replaced some #1 tips over the years and a few color cups as acrylic paint cleaner is not friendly to the solder holding the siphon tube in the cup.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I'm currently setting up a spray room at my shop, sold off the 600 goose decoys occupying the room, I'll be using an HVLP for furniture but as usual firearms take precedence most of the time. Thanks for the info on the equipment.
    A long time family friend has a paint store in Annapolis and I asked about these coatings and he does not carry them but says he did sell the original equipment for finishing to Beretta when they built their factory, no good stories though.

Good to see you post Farmer, I'll stop by for coffee sometime.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    Be sure and get a good cleaning kit.

This is what I ordered.
    Creative Air Airbrush Pro-Illustrator Kit
    $69.99
    Creative Air Airbrush Cleaning Pot
    $15.99
    Creative Air Airbrush 5pc Mini Clean Brush

This is new territory for me, my first run out will be on a Mossberg 464 SPX that someone gave me for Christmas a few years ago.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You want to make sure you have a downward shooting bottle for lacquer thinner. It really speeds up the change between colors and quick clean-ups.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I am Finding the 5 pc mini brush set $11.34
    Cleaning pot $14.00
    Paasche HS-Set $53.23

All on Amazon, shipped. Does this seem like the right direction/pricing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom