• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've seen a couple of billet upper/lower combos with cut outs, which seem to make the rifles lower in weight. While I love my current rifles, I'd like to build a truly lightweight 3-gun rifle. What's the consensus on cut outs on receivers? This will be strictly a competition rifle, not a SHTF rifle.

jakbob

Oct 13, 2014
    Glen Burnie
    I would think that reliability is more important in 3 gun than weight?

*Edit- I don't want you to think that I am being a smart ass. I was looking into doing 3 gun and everything I read and watched preached reliability. They could be wrong, who knows lol

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I would think that reliability is more important in 3 gun than weight?

*Edit- I don't want you to think that I am being a smart ass. I was looking into doing 3 gun and everything I read and watched preached reliability. They could be wrong, who knows lol

Especially since weight effects recoil and recoil effects follow up shots.

Also, I would be concerned with foreign matter getting into the rifle and causing a malfunction at just about the time you need it to work right.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Especially since weight effects recoil and recoil effects follow up shots.

Also, I would be concerned with foreign matter getting into the rifle and causing a malfunction at just about the time you need it to work right.

According to Daniel Horner, a lighter rifle makes transitions faster on multiple targets. Most of the top guys in 3-gun keep the weight down on their rifles, too. I'm building another rifle that will be as light as I can get it. I have a competition rifle now that will be the backup, so if the new one fails, I'm not completely screwed.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Bcm lightweight 14.5 and a mid west industry gen 2 rail. Small optic and call it a day. Don't put any fancy do fangled stuff on it and run it. I love mine.

Didn't break the bank and is light.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well since weight is declared to #1 priority , never mind the lightening cuts, go straight to polymer.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Do an MFT minimalist stock, and a carbon fiber fore end with a pencil barrel.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    I just finished a 300 blackout. I did watch the weight on them but didn't buy anything lightweight specific. No scope 6.75lb. With scope 7.75lb

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Bcm lightweight 14.5 and a mid west industry gen 2 rail. Small optic and call it a day. Don't put any fancy do fangled stuff on it and run it. I love mine.

Didn't break the bank and is light.

You don't shoot 3-gun, do you?

Well since weight is declared to #1 priority , never mind the lightening cuts, go straight to polymer.

I thought about that but since the rifle will be dropped into barrels during matches, I don't think they'll be durable enough to last a season.

Do an MFT minimalist stock, and a carbon fiber fore end with a pencil barrel.

That's the stock I want. I posted a while back on the carbon fiber handguard I wanted. Pencil barrel? No thanks. I don't need shots stringing.

Pretty close to what I want, but not digging the fixed stock and I don't think the lower is being built anymore.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    You don't shoot 3-gun, do you?

I thought about that but since the rifle will be dropped into barrels during matches, I don't think they'll be durable enough to last a season.

That's the stock I want. I posted a while back on the carbon fiber handguard I wanted. Pencil barrel? No thanks. I don't need shots stringing.

Pretty close to what I want, but not digging the fixed stock and I don't think the lower is being built anymore.

GWACS Armory is making them still, i think you can take 1/2"off the stock safely if you want a shorter LOP.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ohhhhh , now we have other priorities other than light.

So light weight is now #3 behind durability and thick bbl ?

Generic forged lower, whichever bbl profile suits your preference, plain tubular carbon fibre free float hand gaurd, lightest optic & mount you can bring yourself to use.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    With an HBAR requirement are we talking a fluted barrel?
    My Pre ban M4 profile with plastic handguard is my lightest but not that I was counting oz. just my lightest.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The OP has escaped to Northen Va , and hence can use the bbl profile of his choice.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    milsport-arms-ar-15-80-lower-receiver-7075-t6-forged-skeletonized-msa-80-lower-skel-by-milsport-arms-0fd.jpg

http://www.milsportarms.com/products/milsport-arms-ar-15-80-lower-receiver-7075-t6-forged-skeletonized

$900 proof research barrels an option?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I built a 6# 300BLK, before scope and mount, for deer hunting. I wasn't trying to make a lightweight rifle, it just happened. After the scope and the mount, it came to 8# with a loaded 20 round mag.

You can do it, if you are smart about it. I remember that armed ferret built a 5# AR, just for the hell of it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I built a 6# 300BLK, before scope and mount, for deer hunting. I wasn't trying to make a lightweight rifle, it just happened. After the scope and the mount, it came to 8# with a loaded 20 round mag.

You can do it, if you are smart about it. I remember that armed ferret built a 5# AR, just for the hell of it.

He did, and it was so stupid light I giggled like a schoolgirl while finger-fvcking it while dodging free-range ferrets at his place.

All with standard forged receivers too, IIRC.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Of light weight lowers I have seen I feel better about that setup. Trigger pocket is essentially mil spec unless the owner decides to mill out the sides.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    He did, and it was so stupid light I giggled like a schoolgirl while finger-fvcking it while dodging free-range ferrets at his place.

All with standard forged receivers too, IIRC.
    I remember him posting a pic of the rifle and a pic of the rifle on the scale. I don't remember if it was in an established thread or if it was one that he created.

BTW, thanks for helping me get the upper together. That thing has served me well during deer season, this year. Even at 8# with the scope, it is a hell of a lot lighter than the bolt or the LAR-8. I'll whip up some handloads on the Dillon and we'll get together in the spring/summer for some range time. You have to see how accurate this rifle can be, with good ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom