• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Striking out on searches so if anybody has a good amount of experience with these I would love opinions on brands, models and features.

Looking to rail mount on AR with NV goggles.

Edit: ...and when I say designator, I am meaning for aiming. Maybe I am not even using the right terminology.

Thanks

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Insight-Mil...Illuminator-Night-Vision-Kit-IR-/262016592947

No idea if this is a good deal. This is what I rolled with on all my deployments, served me well!

You can get a newer, smaller, lighter IR/visible laser combo unit for a lot less than that, it'll have a warranty, and be guaranteed not to be stolen.

In other words, you spend less and get something way, WAY better.

If you're not using the PEQ-2A for clone purposes, pass. Every time.

Oh, and the bloom on a 2A even at the lowest power setting is awful. Civilian-powered IR lasers have a LOT less bloom...meaning easier to get a more precise shot.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    You can get a newer, smaller, lighter IR/visible laser combo unit for a lot less than that, it'll have a warranty, and be guaranteed not to be stolen.

In other words, you spend less and get something way, WAY better.

If you're not using the PEQ-2A for clone purposes, pass. Every time.

Oh, and the bloom on a 2A even at the lowest power setting is awful. Civilian-powered IR lasers have a LOT less bloom...meaning easier to get a more precise shot.

Recommendation?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    combo units seem like a great idea at first, but usually either the lasers are too powerful, or the illuminator isnt powerful enough. and the cost is ridiculous for what they are. take any light or laser and label it IR and the price doubles or triples. funny since 99% of green lasers are IR lasers shot through a splitter and a doubler.

i use the lasermax uni IR. i got a great price from fuddlebucks here on mds. another small budget IR laser is the crimson trace railmaster IR. either are suitable for pistol or rifle, and under $200 each. you can have one on several rifles for the cost of the neutered teir1 wiz bang stuff.

then for a light i would reccommend either a dedicated IR torch(homebrew, the torch, t-20ir), or one of the IR/white combo lights fron inforce or surefire et al.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Recommendation?

DBAL, OTAL, ITAL are all solid options, in that order. It's easy to spend someone else's money, but if it were mine, I'd cash in on a DBAL and enjoy "night ops". ;)

Dollar for dollar, the Crimson Trace IR Railmaster (i think that's the full name) is actually pretty dang impressive. I haven't used one myself, though, so I can't comment on durability and maintaining zero on a rifle. But it seems to get good reviews and does well on pistols.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Laser Devices I think was the original company but it seems they've been taken over by Steiner Optics for dbals and such.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    I've got an ATPIAL-C (civilian legal PEQ-15) and I like it. Sits low, IR laser illuminator, visible red laser slaved to the IR laser pointer for easier zeroing. Works well so far and other than the lower powered pointer and defocused illuminator to make it civilian legal it is full Mil-Spec.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom