• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    NO to mandatory training. NOT EVER. Not sure what the OP's intent was with this whole thread but I would liken it to pissing into the wind. Seemed like a good idea at the time until you get it all over your leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I dunno. How good and safe is the the OP as a shooter? I think someone best be on point before unloading a ton of "knowledge and opinion".
    There are some shitty ass NRA instructor patch recipients out there.

No mandatory training for a Right.
    Plenty of "trained" gun handlers out there making mistakes, shooting themselves and others just as much as non trained handlers. I am sure we just don't hear a lot about those incidents.

PLENTY of untrained gun owners out there also successfully using guns for self defense.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I dunno. How good and safe is the the OP as a shooter? I think someone best be on point before unloading a ton of "knowledge and opinion".
    There are some shitty ass NRA instructor patch recipients out there.

No mandatory training for a Right.
    Plenty of "trained" gun handlers out there making mistakes, shooting themselves and others just as much as non trained handlers. I am sure we just don't hear a lot about those incidents.

PLENTY of untrained gun owners out there also successfully using guns for self defense.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Is it just me, or is it mostly the trainers who want mandatory training?

Just asking.

People would be surprised at how many construction codes are initiated and promoted by material manufacturers.

Last edited:

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

Just asking.

Some instructors defend the HQL and the current Wear and Carry training because it's a product they can charge for.

If HQL training goes away, so does that business. If W&C training gets made shorter, it's harder for instructors to charge what they do.

I'll happily find other classes to teach if the HQL goes away.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It was a rhetorical question. Guess I need my rhetorical question emoticon.

I should have left off the lasts sentence, as it was, in retrospect, a bit disingenuous on my part. I know the answer.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    Building on the topic of training. Why don't we petition the MGA for evidence that each legislator take the mandatory training that it requires of its citizens prior to initiating, or voting, on firearm laws? At least we can be assured they know something.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yeah, like the moron from Balt. County who thinks the militia and military are the same thing who showed her ignorance yesterday during the Senate JPC hearing yesterday?

Living example of a lack of training.

Oh wait....

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    i would be in favor of mandatory voting education for new citizens.

What the heck. Training tends to follow what the trainer teaches. Even if wrong a student will follow as taught.

If your that good a trainer and support mandatory training, you must be for limited Mag size. Training so good, 1 shot 1 kill. Heck we can name a gun for you, The One Shot Woodstock.

I read, a lot. Who reads owners manuals. I do. Gun owners should. However it is not a requirement, its cheaper to take a course.
    Please don't take offense. The Texas Hunter safety course is best! HQL and a Md Hunting license. Can't get that with your HQL course I bet!

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    I actually wish that Maryland structures its HQL course to include more hands on handgun handling, like how to safety check, field strip and clean guns, how to correct common malfunctions, etc. I would have liked more of that knowledge as a beginner.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I actually wish that Maryland structures its HQL course to include more hands on handgun handling, like how to safety check, field strip and clean guns, how to correct common malfunctions, etc. I would have liked more of that knowledge as a beginner.

These days you can learn from the safety of your home, don't have to worry about getting shot by the ATF agent next to you. The Internet is your friend and can be gun specific, there are more than just Glocks out there..

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There are too many different kinds of pistols to cover more than just a couple.

Ask anyone here for assistance or visit an IP.

I'd bet either will show you for FREE

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

There is nothing preventing you/anyone from seeking that knowledge on your/their own.

Not the state's/State's job.

Especially when folks have to pay it. More being taught means more cost.

PS: Now please excuse me while I sign up for the Maryland gun stripping, sandblasting, and Parkerizing classes.

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    These days you can learn from the safety of your home, don't have to worry about getting shot by the ATF agent next to you. The Internet is your friend and can be gun specific, there are more than just Glocks out there..

Very true. I was really struck by this when I picked up my APX from the store the other day. The store clerk, who builds his own AR, could not take the gun apart, and I was able to strip it because of the videos I watched, and that's the third pistol I have ever touched in my life.

That being said, I still feel more reassured to be in the same room as an experienced gun owner, and gets advice and suggestions as we walk through everything. Maybe it's just me being extra anal about safety and such.

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    There is nothing preventing you/anyone from seeking that knowledge on your/their own.

Not the state's/State's job.

Especially when folks have to pay it. More being taught means more cost.

PS: Now please excuse while I sign up for the Maryland gun stripping, sandblasting, and Parkerizing classes.

I'm not here to debate whether this should be mandated by government. I'm just saying since MD already forces HQL upon us, I would feel better if it also includes these elements in the course.

But I take your point, we can have a system where each individual decides on his own how he wants to approach safety training, and determines whether and how much he's willing to be pay it accordingly.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

Those are all requirements.

Just asking.

I believe every homeowner with well water should be required to take a well water education class before closing on the home. They should also have to be re-certified every 2 years.
    The class will cost $250 for 6 hours and I, errr, the instructor will then tell the state you are capable of owning a house with a well.
    PM me for my, errr, the instructor's schedule.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'm not here to debate whether this should be mandated by government. I'm just saying since MD already forces HQL upon us, I would feel better if it also includes these elements in the course.

But I take your point, we can have a system where each individual decides on his own how he wants to approach safety training, and determines whether and how much he's willing to be pay it accordingly.

There was what appeared to be an excellent suggestion made earlier in the thread. Logistics could be a nightmare though. Not to mention liability. But that's what waivers are for.

Military Members/Police Officers/Armorers could teach firearm handling/training/field stripping on the government's/state's dime. The state could work with those departments to coordinate the training. It would take some work, but it could be achieved. May have to tailor training to currently issued handguns and long guns. 1911. Beretta. Sig. Glock. Rem 870. Moss 590. AR-15.

Not sure how compensation would shake out. I don't think you could pay the Military and Police outright. Perhaps some time off the clock could be used as compensation for their donated time. Letters of Commendation. Etc.

All of the above could be null and void due to the fact that Maryland is using the HQL training and the cost of HQL training as a means of curbing firearm purchases.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom