• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    Does anyone have any experience with the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 in 1-6? I'm looking for a scope for one of my AR builds and this one seems almost perfect. I like how they moved the illumination knob next to the turrets. The 1 to 6 magnification should be ideal for most of my uses.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I don't have the Viper 1-6, but the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 is very similar, less expensive, and slightly lighter. Reticle is different on the Stike Eagle, and they also have a 1-8 model.

Q

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    They are great scopes. The eyebox is very forgiving and the glass is great. Downside is they are very heavy compared to others in the same configuration. It's a buy once cry once scope. Center dot is very bright as well.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I don't have the Viper 1-6, but the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 is very similar, less expensive, and slightly lighter. Reticle is different on the Stike Eagle, and they also have a 1-8 model.

Q

I second the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6. I have one on a 300 Blackout build that I used for deer hunting this past season and will be using it for combat pistol and carbine matches. I would definitely buy another one and probably will.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I have the PST gen 1 1-4, I'm looking at the gen 2 2-10 for more magnification at 500 yards. I'm a fan of the PST line in general.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I'm digging this one back up....putting together a couple ar15s for Xmas presents and I'm looking around for an lpvo. For the money ($449 on expert voice) they seem like a really good optic. They've been out for awhile longer now anybody played with the gen 2 much?

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I'm digging this one back up....putting together a couple ar15s for Xmas presents and I'm looking around for an lpvo. For the money ($449 on expert voice) they seem like a really good optic. They've been out for awhile longer now anybody played with the gen 2 much?
    I have the gen 2 on my AR15. I bought it a couple of years ago and have had no issues with it at all. It is really nice. I don't remember what I paid for mine but your number sounds about right. I think it really depends on how you plan to use your AR if this optic will be right for you or not. But then again I am not really an expert. There are times when I feel like something smaller would be nicer. I even thought about trying a Primary Arm SLX 3x to compare. I always have issues when deciding which optic to go with for a new gun. Right now I am looking for an optic to go on my new Ruger LC. I think it is going to be getting a Holosun 510c. But back to the Viper PST. I think it is an awesome optic for the money. You won't be disappointed.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have the gen 2 on my AR15. I bought it a couple of years ago and have had no issues with it at all. It is really nice. I don't remember what I paid for mine but your number sounds about right. I think it really depends on how you plan to use your AR if this optic will be right for you or not. But then again I am not really an expert. There are times when I feel like something smaller would be nicer. I even thought about trying a Primary Arm SLX 3x to compare. I always have issues when deciding which optic to go with for a new gun. Right now I am looking for an optic to go on my new Ruger LC. I think it is going to be getting a Holosun 510c. But back to the Viper PST. I think it is an awesome optic for the money. You won't be disappointed.
    Thanks for your input much appreciated.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I now have a gen2 1-6. Only real drawback might be weight. Its a little on the heavy side but decided to use the Aero mount which is only 3 ounces and change so I saved several ounces there versus say an ADM mount. The gen2 does 1x really good, very little distortion and seems to be a true 1x. I looked through a Swampfox and a Strike Eagle and the gen2 looked much better. I don’t think you’ll find a better lpvo in the price range.
    IMG_4364.jpeg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have the PST2 1-6 and a few strike eagles. They are in different classes, the PST2 has a much cleaner, crisper field of view, flatter 1X image, daylight bright dot, and rugged as hell. I can make hits at longer range easier with the 1-6 PST2 than my 1-8 SE because of the nice bright and clear image vs a greyed out distorted image above 6X on the strike Eagle. The daylight bright illumination is also nice, a single bright red dot in the center of a simple crosshair, it's fast at 1X, and precise at longer range with a useable BDC for ranging and holdovers. The only real downside is the size and weight for a 1-6, it was the best scope under $1K a couple years ago, and there still isn't much competition.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    PST2 is a way better scope than the Strike Eagles, yes. Time has caught up to it a little bit in that Primary Arms now has LPVOs with daylight bright fiber-optic reticles, but it is a nice mid-point between the PA/RT6/etc and the Razor.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I agree they are a bit on the heavy side. I went with an Aero mount also and have been happy with it. One other thing I would suggest getting if you go with this scope is the SWITCHVIEW THROW LEVER. They are worth the investment.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    PST2 is a way better scope than the Strike Eagles, yes. Time has caught up to it a little bit in that Primary Arms now has LPVOs with daylight bright fiber-optic reticles, but it is a nice mid-point between the PA/RT6/etc and the Razor.
    This video is what changed my mind, between the two:

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Here’s a great price! Possibly the best I’ve seen. The mount alone, is $108:
    That is a good deal I paid $449 for just the optic on expert voice.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Just mounted mine. Super crisp glass and red dot! I will confirm that it’s heavy, but you really don’t feel it once it’s on. Red dot acquisition is very fast. Like Aimpoint fast. I’m sure that once I mount my suppressor and flashlight, the pounds will really add up. Guess I better workout a bit. :bs::toothless

IMG_3464.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom