Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Capital Region

Notices

Old September 25th, 2017, 09:08 AM #71

A is where the target is, B is where you are shooting from. So c is the distance to the target when you use a laser range finder. It is also the distance you use when calculating wind. b is the distance you would use to calculate drop. Is would affect zero also but not by much. If you know the distance to the target and can figure out how high you are you could figure out what distance is your zero.
1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 09:09 AM #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonAssassin View Post
That's not exactly true. The mil-dot can be highly accurate for ranging, if you know how to use the calculation correctly.

http://8541tactical.com/range_estimation.php

Hopefully this dispels the unwarranted notion that ranging reticles are not as precise as a laser rangefinder.
Good stuff! Thank you! The upside to being wrong about something is that one always learns something new. I'm aware of mil-dot reticles, of course, but never paid them that much attention. All of mine are MOA.

This is an opportunity for me to ask another question. I started with M.O.A. and just stuck with it because I have been under the impression that, if your doing strictly known distance shooting, Mil-dot does not add much of anything over M.O.A. Under those conditions, would you say that's an accurate statement? I want to make sure I'm not overlooking some less obvious benefit.
Work hard, shoot straight, play fair, fight dirty
DanGuy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 09:35 AM #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGuy48 View Post
Good stuff! Thank you! The upside to being wrong about something is that one always learns something new. I'm aware of mil-dot reticles, of course, but never paid them that much attention. All of mine are MOA.

This is an opportunity for me to ask another question. I started with M.O.A. and just stuck with it because I have been under the impression that, if your doing strictly known distance shooting, Mil-dot does not add much of anything over M.O.A. Under those conditions, would you say that's an accurate statement? I want to make sure I'm not overlooking some less obvious benefit.

People make to much of mil vs MOA. They both do the same thing and long as the turrets match the reticle. MOA is a little more precise, mil is a few less clicks. It makes so little difference that it's not worth thinking about.

I would give more consideration to what your shooting buddies are using. If they are spotting your misses in mils and you are trying to convert to MOA it sucks.

As far at dots, I prefer hashes to dots. My tape measure doesn't have dots, neither do my scopes.
1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 11:33 PM #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot25 View Post
No I get it. I just thought 50 yards was 200 yards but it's 200 meters. 250ish yards.

How many scopes have a range finder built into it? Seems to me that should be a standard feature on a scope.
To revisit this seemingly over done concept, a 2012 video by Jerry Miculek states he sights his rifle at, "200 yards which is the same point of impact at 50 yards."

I'm going to follow this man's advise as he is clearly the best in the business.
pilot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 02:10 AM #75
Insane in the mainframe

Location: Fredneck County, People's Democratic Republic of the State of Maryland
Insane in the mainframe

Location: Fredneck County, People's Democratic Republic of the State of Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot25 View Post
To revisit this seemingly over done concept, a 2012 video by Jerry Miculek states he sights his rifle at, "200 yards which is the same point of impact at 50 yards."

I'm going to follow this man's advise as he is clearly the best in the business.
That is for 308....

25 yard is the same as 300 yard for 223.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
Like cherry blossoms in spring

Ban hammer falls and makes all better
Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

SOTAR FTW!

Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life
MDC

DaemonAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 10:04 AM #76

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i34l9yJcdg

He states AR15 in the beginning of the video and keeps referencing his competition rifle sitting in front of him.

I'm not arguing, just all the explanations online are not in congruence with each other. Even among the experts like JM.

I'm going to assume I'm missing some detail like yards vs. meters, as I thought before, or 308 vs 5.56 like you state, but I don't know. JM is pretty explicit in this video but so are other experts.

I cannot shoot 200 yards very accurate with a red dot so I'm not too worried about it but it is just fun learning and researching it.

Unrelated, I like this guy's videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP7dszBAezk

Hope they are accurate in their information.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 12:28 PM #77

Found another video of a review of a new Vortex UH-1 Holographic sight. mrgunsandgear youtube page. He flashes the manual for the optic which is designed to be sighted at 25 yards or 50 yards using M855 ammunition. In the depiction it shows 50 yard zero = 212 yard second zero. 50 meter zero = 180 second zero.

So if experts are teaching how to zero a rifle at 50 yards then I'm guessing they are generalizing where the second zero is by stating "200" yards.

Last edited by pilot25; October 22nd, 2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 08:37 PM #78

The 50/200 yard zero is close in most 55-75 gr ammo in most 16/18 ar's. Nothing it proven until you true your own gun/load. There is no BDC chart or magic bullet info that holds true for everyones firearm shooting any particular combo.
Broncolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 02:00 AM #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncolou View Post
The 50/200 yard zero is close in most 55-75 gr ammo in most 16/18 ar's. Nothing it proven until you true your own gun/load. There is no BDC chart or magic bullet info that holds true for everyones firearm shooting any particular combo.
Thanks. I keep thinking it is an exact science. Close but not quite.

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Capital Region