• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Yes but there's better and cheaper. Also, so long as the mags are bought out of state you can bring them in state with you.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The 30 round mag is ok to have - you just can't buy or sell one here. I think the answer is yes on the AR. If you want to find out for sure, contact one of the Industry partners (IP's) and see if they would sell you one as a MD resident. If so - then you are good to go. But I think the 300 blackouts all have a heavy profile barrel. Hopefully others will chime in.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Also - if you are a MD resident, the FFL selling to you will be bound to respect the local laws. In that case - I would not be surprised if he made you pick it up from an FFL here in state. If that's the case, you would do better just buying it here locally.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Since it's 300 Blackout, you should be fine. The rules state, "To that end, the Maryland State Police has determined that, for enforcement purposes, a firearm is considered a copy if it is both cosmetically similar to and has completely interchangeable internal components necessary for the full operation and function of one of the enumerated banned weapons." Since the .300 Blackout is not part interchangeable with an AR-15, it fails the second copy test, parts interchangeability. Because of that, the heavy barrel thing should not apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    MasDefense makes lightweight 300 barrels at a reasonable price. I own two other calibers and they are shot sub MOA with my reloads. Im thinking of pulling trigger on one but a friend keeps pressuring me into a Noveske but im poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

migwl300

May 24, 2014
    Montgomery County
    What better and cheaper options are there? Ive seen CMMG and Anderson but I've never heard of the manufactures and don't really trust them.

Thanks for the response

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What better and cheaper options are there? Ive seen CMMG and Anderson but I've never heard of the manufactures and don't really trust them.

Thanks for the response

Both are decent. One caution is a lot of CMMG stuff is specific to their rifles. It won't necessarily interchange with an AR. Or at least that is what I know about their 9mm AR stuff. It may be different with their 5.56/.300 stuff.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Since it's 300 Blackout, you should be fine. The rules state, "To that end, the Maryland State Police has determined that, for enforcement purposes, a firearm is considered a copy if it is both cosmetically similar to and has completely interchangeable internal components necessary for the full operation and function of one of the enumerated banned weapons." Since the .300 Blackout is not part interchangeable with an AR-15, it fails the second copy test, parts interchangeability. Because of that, the heavy barrel thing should not apply.

I agree with that most .300 BO are heavy barrel.

But what parts will not interchange between a 5.56 and .300 BO AR?

THe only difference is the barrel. So if you swap any single part between the two, both rifles will still work.

Not everyone agrees with this, but many do.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    MasDefense makes lightweight 300 barrels at a reasonable price. I own two other calibers and they are shot sub MOA with my reloads. Im thinking of pulling trigger on one but a friend keeps pressuring me into a Noveske but im poor.

I just picked up an MASDefense 16" 300 blk with a 15" keymod handguard upper for $240 minus the BCG and Charging Handle during their Veterans Day Sale. I picked up both the BCG and CH from Primary Arms for about $100. So $340 for a complete upper isn't too shabby considering I can build a lower for around $250 give or take. That's less than $600 for a rifle that has better components than what the S&W would come with.

I just checked, MAS has all kinds of sales going on on uppers right now. All you need is a lower and you are good to go. You can take the $400-$500 you save over the S&W and buy a lot of ammo or another rifle if you really want to.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

THe only difference is the barrel. So if you swap any single part between the two, both rifles will still work.

I believe the wording is something to the effect, "swapped and still function properly" (paraphrasing).

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County

The operative phrase is "completely interchangeable." That includes the barrel. If the barrel isn't interchangeable, then it is not "completely interchangeable."

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Both are decent. One caution is a lot of CMMG stuff is specific to their rifles. It won't necessarily interchange with an AR. Or at least that is what I know about their 9mm AR stuff. It may be different with their 5.56/.300 stuff.

This is not true. CMMG componets are completely interchangeable and of good quality.

I believe you are thinking of Palmetto State Armory. You can only use thier uppers on thier 9mm lowers.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015

Thanks for the response

No experience with CMMG but for the cost of Anderson components they are top notch. I have two Anderson lowers that fit every upper i have tighter than my Spikes which cost a good $40 more. If you want a spider and some rail markings than maybe it justifies the price. I own one of their BCG's that runs flawlessly too. If you want solid and reliable Anderson is good choice.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    I just picked up an MASDefense 16" 300 blk with a 15" keymod handguard upper for $240 minus the BCG and Charging Handle during their Veterans Day Sale. I picked up both the BCG and CH from Primary Arms for about $100. So $340 for a complete upper isn't too shabby considering I can build a lower for around $250 give or take. That's less than $600 for a rifle that has better components than what the S&W would come with.

I just checked, MAS has all kinds of sales going on on uppers right now. All you need is a lower and you are good to go. You can take the $400-$500 you save over the S&W and buy a lot of ammo or another rifle if you really want to.

Ive been watching their 300 uppers as well. For the cost of the components and assembly its well worth it to me. Just letting my wife get in her Target (the store) time then i will grab one.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I believe the wording is something to the effect, "swapped and still function properly" (paraphrasing).

If you swap any single part, the two rifles will still function properly, as a rifle.

Yes, you would have to use the appropriate ammo in each. :)

However, you can fire .300 BO in a .223 rifle. At least for one round. :lol2:

And I bet .223/5.56 will fire fine in a .300 BO rifle, but with VERY poor accuracy and velocity.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The operative phrase is "completely interchangeable." That includes the barrel. If the barrel isn't interchangeable, then it is not "completely interchangeable."

Take two AR rifles. One 5.56, on .300 BO. Swap the barrels and ONLY the barrels between the two.

Will they both function? YES.

Granted, you would need to fire the appropriate ammo in each.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    what do people think about the windham weaponary src 300 blackout. it looks pretty good and I found them for around $750 shipped

I do not have any specific knowledge about that rifle but I will tell you that I am a big fan of Windham. You should have no problem with anything from them.

If you don't know their story...

A few years back, Bushmaster decided to relocate the company to another state. This forced them to lay off a bunch of employees, most with many years with Bushmaster.

Those ex-employees got together with investors and collectively gave Bushmaster the bird by saying they could do just as well and opened their own new company. That company became Windham.

Now that is good old American spirit. Big fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom