• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Be careful
    It's not as easy as buying a slide and barrel depending on the year of your pistol some .40/357 frames won't fit a 9mm slide

Did you not read my post?
    Buy a barsto conversion barrel to 9mm and use the same mags

I've don this for years on both my 229 and 226 with only one issue in my 226 and a aluminum case.
    Otherwise no issues

So, how many rounds of 9mm will fit in a .40 magazine?

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    Zero. You can't use 9mm ammo in .40 magazines. Only .40 and .357 use the same magazine.

I have a P226 .40 and plan to buy the caliber x-change kit from Sig, which includes the slide, barrel and one magazine. I've seen some sellers on GB sell them for $300.

The reason why I picked the .40 over the 9mm was because:
    1. it was in stock at the time
    2. it was a killer deal
    3. I already have a Glock 19 (which is why I'll be getting the x-change kit too)
    4. it felt 100x better in my hand, shooting, recoil, refined, compared to the G23

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Doubt the OP still cares...but,

In terms of current ammo availability, .357 SIG takes the win.

In terms of ammo pricing, .40 takes the win (with the exception of these stupid temporary prices).

In terms of ammo selection, .40 (155 and 165 grain JHPs may present some performance edges over 180 although the recoil is a little more snappy).

In terms of ballistics, .357 although the actual advantage is far more perceived than actual and the capabilities between LE-grade calibers are really over-debated and not nearly as significant as the shooter's capability and the right JHP load. I'm personally a huge 9mm guy as I can shoot it a hell of a lot faster and more accurate than I can the more powerful loads, plus I personally favor the higher mag cap.

In terms of wear on the gun, .357 is a little more violent but the Sig frames are built to withstand such abuse so it's really a non-issue.

In terms of feeding, the .357's bottleneck should theoretically reduce feeding issues...however, I know of no 226 or 229 ever to suffer feeding issues in any caliber so it's also a non-issue.

In terms of recoil, they are both more than 9mm but the recoil itself differs. Chances are you will prefer one over another. It's more personal preference.

In terms of noise, .357 for some reason seems to be stupidly loud compared to other LE pistol calibers.

In terms of real world quantity results, .40. Gold Dot JHPs chambered in .40, especially through Glocks, Berettas, and Sigs, have been used by many LEOs on some very, very bad people with excellent performance results.

In terms of probability of a case failure on factory ammo, as of right now there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between all calibers due to QC issues with this current state of hyper-production. Chances are you will be more likely to find .357 SIG ammo that was made before this rush of madness and ensuing decline in quality control (H&K told me directly that the number of guns coming back due to case failures from factory ammo has risen numerous fold in recent times).

In terms of reloading, I have no idea.

You may find you prefer the recoil of one over the other, or that you can shoot one more proficiency and faster than the other. If that is the case, you should stick with that for home defense.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The year ago poster would have recomended 9mm instead of either.

If you remember and like .357 Magnums , then the .357Sig is your cup of tea. If 75yd trajectories have any meaning for you , the .357 has the advantage.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    As a shooter of 357 Sig I can give you my take. I used to own 2 guns in that caliber, a Sig P229 Sport (factory comped) and an HK USP Compact. I used the Sig for open class steel competition with a slide mounted PF mini red dot. Mag capacity was 14. Eventually sold it and had an STI built in 9x23mm. Same ballistics but mag capacity same as 38 Super, 140mm=22 rds and 170mm=30 rounds. I used the HK for IDPA and carry (FL CCW). Many LE agencies also use 357 Sig. Mainly for the increased penetration over the bigger calibers in barrier and cover related shootouts. And yes also it does shoot flatter than .40/.45 and 9mm. However I bought an EFK 9mm conversion barrel for it (true drop in) because it uses the HK 40/357 mags. HK 10rd = 12rd 9mm, HK 12rd = 15 rd 9mm. I use 9mm in IDPA and still carry with 357 Sig. EFK stainless barrel was about $200.

jwhite407

Always Packing
    Jan 31, 2013
    Lower Eastern Shore
    The .357 Sig is basically a hot 9mm round. It just happens to be a bottle-necked and shortened 10mm case with a small pistol primer. It was originally conceived to mimic the ballistics of the 125gr .357 Magnum round in a semi-automatic pistol. If you were around back when it was developed and paid attention to what was going on, you'd know this, but since this seems to be your first pistol, I'll cut you some slack :) The .40 S&W was the result of the FBI's request for a downloaded 10mm cartridge. This cartridge offers 180gr JHPs that is supposed to offer good barrier penetration in a smaller framed pistol format. Since the .40 has been adopted by a LOT of state, local, and federal law enforcement agencies, ammo is a lot less expensive and selection is a lot greater than the Sig cartridge.

And because it has been adopted by a LOT (including the Federal-es), it's very hard to find right now. I own two .40 handguns, and fortunately horded a ton of ammo after the Righteous One was re-elected.:mad54:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom