• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    The trooper said she wanted to wrap up my app that day, and asked that I advise my references to stand by. To me, that was a courtesy way beyond what I would have expected. :thumbsup:

Ho, I see. She first asked you to let them know she may be calling, and when she decided she did not need to talk to anyone else she followed through so people just would not be waiting around for her call.

To me this trooper is a dieing breed of people. Not because she is a trooper, but because she is courteous and considerate on a level that was more common place 50 years ago before this dumbing down of America we seem to be going through.

As you should, I know you consider yourself fortunate to have a trooper with that level of character working on your investigation. She is old school for sure. More people should be like her.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Shortcut: look at the thread title (not in the thread itself)in the 2A section, then click the paperclip.

Found it...thanks! Fields requiring update:

MILITARY - DD214
    LIVESCAN - 3/12/2012
    CALL FM MSP - 8/1/2012
    INTERVIEW - 8/1/2012
    REFERENCES CALLED - 8/1/2012
    WIFE CALLED - N0

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Livescan - 3/12/12
    Hand delivered App - 3/12/12
    Interview - 8/1/12 (before the CA4 permanent stay)
    References called - 8/3/12

It would appear that MSP is continuing with the process.

uscoastiee

Apr 20, 2012
    Baltimore County
    BTW, can someone point me to the spreadsheet that's being used to capture app data? Thank you.

The Speadsheet isn't up to date. Summer is a crazy buzy time, I plan to have it updated by the end of the month. Not to mention, how long it's going to take me to catch up on all of these thread posts!

It's good to hear MSP is still processing apps! I still haven't heard a peep from MSP. But I did recently become an LEO, so LEOSA is my friend!

Chowda69

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland (ugh)
    Figure there may be a break in apps till the ruling sometime in the next decade ....

Wanted to know if any former LEO's have run into the same situation.

Last year I applied and went through the entire process. I applied as a "former/ retired LEO". (was a Fed LEO at fort meade)

I was denied a permit and the trooper stated it was because I did not have enough experience. I tried to fight the issue, stating there was no "time and grade" information .

After several emails and phone calls, the trooper then stated it was due to the fact I had 5 years separation of service. (due to the fact i was over seas for work carrying concealed in a warzone.)

On a side note, i had a horrible experience with the trooper where he refused to answer questions , emails, phones calls over a month period. ( i was very professional and never disrespectful. The trooper was just an ass) After complaining to the permit board, I was contacted by a Lt. of the handgun permit and he apologized for his trooper's behavior and attitude. He also alluded to the fact this trooper has received similar complaints. Amazingly, the LT tried to explain to me that it was due to the fact that I did not have 5 years of experience.

So what the hell is it ? under these conditions, NO ONE could qual for a permit. MSI could benefit from this info showing that the MSP creates an environment where it is impossible to meet any type of "G and S". (besides being raped , murdered, attacked ...etc.

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    So far, my references were called (including wife AND employer). My interview was scheduled for last week and the Tpr had a big case come up. interview re-scheduled for this coming Friday 8/10. As for the spreadsheet, SS2 has been done and I believe already updated. SS3, AND SS4 have BOTH been interviewed, and references called within the last week or two (since the Stay was lifted and reinstated.)

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Figure there may be a break in apps till the ruling sometime in the next decade ....

Wanted to know if any former LEO's have run into the same situation.

Last year I applied and went through the entire process. I applied as a "former/ retired LEO". (was a Fed LEO at fort meade)

I was denied a permit and the trooper stated it was because I did not have enough experience. I tried to fight the issue, stating there was no "time and grade" information .

After several emails and phone calls, the trooper then stated it was due to the fact I had 5 years separation of service. (due to the fact i was over seas for work carrying concealed in a warzone.)

On a side note, i had a horrible experience with the trooper where he refused to answer questions , emails, phones calls over a month period. ( i was very professional and never disrespectful. The trooper was just an ass) After complaining to the permit board, I was contacted by a Lt. of the handgun permit and he apologized for his trooper's behavior and attitude. He also alluded to the fact this trooper has received similar complaints. Amazingly, the LT tried to explain to me that it was due to the fact that I did not have 5 years of experience.

So what the hell is it ? under these conditions, NO ONE could qual for a permit. MSI could benefit from this info showing that the MSP creates an environment where it is impossible to meet any type of "G and S". (besides being raped , murdered, attacked ...etc.

Often I think the MSP treat Ex or retired LEO's much worse then the rest of us with some of the stories you hear. Many times it seems like the MSP do not want to consider any other non-MSP Leo experience as police experience. I know a retired Carroll County Sheriff that has nothing good to say about the MSP and their hand gun section. I do not know the details but this guy had 30+ years in as a LEO and he must have had his own problems with the MSP.

I think it should be automatic. I mean if the MSP can see fit to give someone that owns a 7/11 a ccw just because they carry money, one would think that they also should give one to any Ex or retired LEO, if for no other reason then they were a LEO, but they had LEO training.

If you think about it, how does it make any sense at all. You can be an 18 year old kid that had his parents buy him a business and he/she can get a ccw with G&S, but a 35 y.o. LEO with much experience but may had a 5 year break can't get a ccw? :bs:

spiffy

Oct 31, 2009
    APP MAILED - 3/16/2012
    CALL FM MSP - no
    INTERVIEW - no
    REFERENCES CALLED - 8/9/2012 (all 3)
    WIFE CALLED - no

Clem

Mar 19, 2007
    Southern MD
    My references have all been called. I had my interview with the trooper yesterday. At the conclusion he said the paperwork would be forwarded for approval and that could take up to a month.

One other minor point. With the number of military, former military and civilians with government security clearances, apparently the investigator has access to that information. The trooper interviewing me knew about my military experience and security clearances. I mentioned that with a TS clearance, there should be more info in the file than even I know about myself. It may help to resolve lingering questions.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    My references have all been called. I had my interview with the trooper yesterday. At the conclusion he said the paperwork would be forwarded for approval and that could take up to a month.

One other minor point. With the number of military, former military and civilians with government security clearances, apparently the investigator has access to that information. The trooper interviewing me knew about my military experience and security clearances. I mentioned that with a TS clearance, there should be more info in the file than even I know about myself. It may help to resolve lingering questions.

Three questions:

When did you submit your application?

What did you put down for your 9a reason?

What area do you live in?

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo

This is going to give away who I am to any of the investigators.

However my employer was very specific about the fact that I couldn't specifically indicate my affiliation on paper.

I'm also not supposed to give the names of my coworkers or anybody I work with.

So on the form I had to indicate please call this telephone number and ask for the director of security or the director of human resources. (Couldn't even give their names...)

When I spoke with human resources they were incredibly clear about the fact that no one I worked with including my boss, especially, were allowed to give any opinions about me, or discuss me or my job at all.

Moreover that they didn't care what documentation I signed with the state police of Maryland, it was completely irrelevant as far as my security clearance or anything else is concerned.

So, it'll be interesting to see how that all goes...

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    This is going to give away who I am to any of the investigators.

However my employer was very specific about the fact that I couldn't specifically indicate my affiliation on paper.

I'm also not supposed to give the names of my coworkers or anybody I work with.

So on the form I had to indicate please call this telephone number and ask for the director of security or the director of human resources.

When I spoke with human resources they were incredibly clear about the fact that no one I worked with including my boss, especially, was not allowed to give any opinions about me, or discuss me or my job at all.

Moreover that they didn't care what documentation I signed with the state police of Maryland, it was completely irrelevant as far as my security clearance or anything else is concerned.

So, it'll be interesting to see how that all goes...

Do you think that when you have your chance to talk to the MSP at your FTF you will be able to explain or tell them enough about you and what's going on to satisfy their investigation?

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    I can tell them that I've been told that I'm now allow to give them the name of the only person they are allowed to speak with: the director of HR.

In fact I'm supposed to retract that they can speak with the Security Director... They aren't allowed to, I misspoke.

Clem

Mar 19, 2007
    Southern MD
    Three questions:

I submitted the application in early March right after the court decision came down.

I left it blank.

I live in Calvert Co.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Three questions:

I submitted the application in early March right after the court decision came down.

I left it blank.

I live in Calvert Co.

Thanks for the info and I find it very interesting you decided to leave 9a blank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom