• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Don't count on it, after all, MD doesn't have reciprocity with anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I said it’s a state thing. Some states will never care how qualified another states requirements make you

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    As of right now, there is no time line.

DC has to petition the Supreme Court for their to be a timeline that will affect Maryland.
    "If" DC petitions the court and cert is granted, the case will normally be heard this session, and an opinion rendered before the summer break (July 2018).

I am mildly more optimistic. No matter what, the Maryland Legislature will take notice in Spring of 2018. Either D.C will be shall issue, or the SCT will have taken the case. Meanwhile, Baltimore want to impose tougher gun sentences because Bodymore is out of control. There is a compromise here: tougher gun sentences + elimination of G&S.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    :lol:

That should be in the joke of the day thread.

Hogan will not force Pallozzi to accept "self-defense" as a good and substantial reason, and Frosh has worked so hard with the 4CA to keep the 2A inside the home.

jimboman2000

Jan 9, 2014
    Cecil!
    As of right now, there is no time line.

DC has to petition the Supreme Court for their to be a timeline that will affect Maryland.
    "If" DC petitions the court and cert is granted, the case will normally be heard this session, and an opinion rendered before the summer break (July 2018).

Thanks for answering in easy to understand terms! So we will know IF it goes in a few months then another what 6+ months to see what supreme court says?

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    Don't count on it, after all, MD doesn't have reciprocity with anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this goes to SCOTUS and they rule in our favor then Maryland will no longer be May Issue (neither will anywhere else) and then I predict the DC training requirements will be so high that Maryland will accept DC permits.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    :lol:

That should be in the joke of the day thread.

Hogan will not force Pallozzi to accept "self-defense" as a good and substantial reason, and Frosh has worked so hard with the 4CA to keep the 2A inside the home.

Not Hogan. I mean the legislature will toughen illegal gun crime sentences while "streamlining" permit process for residents ie repeal G&S. People in a District Hogan won want to be reelected

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    I'm not really thrilled with this going to SCOTUS unless the President can get one more appointment to the court. I simply don't trust them to do the right thing.

As much as "we" might be nervous about what would happen in SCOTUS, the anti's have to be terrified. The court is effectively the same make up as the one that produced Heller. I have to believe that the anti-gun power groups don't want this case anywhere near SCOTUS. The wild card is that the DC Government may be just self-righteous enough to give it a go.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    A The wild card is that the DC Government may be just self-righteous enough to give it a go.
    Yet again. They learned nothing from Heller. As a sovereign entity, they have nothing to lose by requesting CERT.

They don't care a whit about other states.

Remember "we're special"

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    That depends upon conference dates. That briefing schedule might be VERY tight.

Cert Petition due in what? 30 days, extensions[From esq MSI writeup] "DC has 90 days in which to file a petition for certiorari, plus extensions" and unmentioned stay requests.

Conference might not even happen until 1/1/18 won't happen until late in the 17/18 term (essentially).

Probably the Fall term of 2018 for oral arguments w/ a 6/30/2019 ruling.

IF DC files for SCOTUS review. We are 20 months from anything that may impact MD.

I believe if everything were to go according to schedule, this could be decided this term. Of course if DC gets a stay then there's no incentive for them to do anything other than delay.
    As you say, the schedule for this term is tight as it is.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I believe if everything were to go according to schedule, this could be decided this term. Of course if DC gets a stay then there's no incentive for them to do anything other than delay.
    As you say, the schedule for this term is tight as it is.

Well, as a rule, a case won’t be decided this Term unless it goes to a Friday conference by mid January. That means that briefing (petition, plus response) must be done by end of December. Tough to see how that happens here. DC has 90 days to file for cert. They don’t have to take 90 days, but most petitioners do so. Respondents have 30 days to respond. They can take longer with an easily obtained extension, which they may do so as to line up amicus support. My guess (and it was hinted at by Alan Gura in the Wash. Post article) is that respondents will not oppose cert, but endorse it. That really won’t make cert more likely. A bit maybe, but it will still take 30 days at least to file a response. You are already past mid-January. And that may not be a bad thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom