• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    When I visited Chad recently he did reliability work to mine and it gauged fine. That's a great deal.

I have one I am sending him this week (along with two new AOs). I expect it will be fine. He previously told me the chrome lined phosphate PSA BCGs are usually solid. I usually go with Spikes, but for less money you can get these or AO and Chad's reliability job. Seems like a no-brainer.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I have one I am sending him this week (along with two new AOs). I expect it will be fine. He previously told me the chrome lined phosphate PSA BCGs are usually solid. I usually go with Spikes, but for less money you can get these or AO and Chad's reliability job. Seems like a no-brainer.

It was interesting to see the difference between BCGs when I was there. The chrome lining was fine with the PSA but you could see machining marks vs how smooth the chrome lining was on the Aero Precision BCG he worked on. Apparently that is common with budget BCGs that tend to spec properly. Maybe PSA snatches them up at a bargain because they don't meet a particular standard. That's fine with me. I'm not looking for pretty...I'm looking for functional.

He had a list of BCGs that had been checked. Everything the guy says on this board is consistent with what the numbers say. One thing that stood out was how the numbers looked for fancy coatings and nitride BCGs...regardless of manufacturer. They were off.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    It was interesting to see the difference between BCGs when I was there. The chrome lining was fine with the PSA but you could see machining marks vs how smooth the chrome lining was on the Aero Precision BCG he worked on. Apparently that is common with budget BCGs that tend to spec properly. Maybe PSA snatches them up at a bargain because they don't meet a particular standard. That's fine with me. I'm not looking for pretty...I'm looking for functional.

He had a list of BCGs that had been checked. Everything the guy says on this board is consistent with what the numbers say. One thing that stood out was how the numbers looked for fancy coatings and nitride BCGs...regardless of manufacturer. They were off.

I could be wrong but between the chamber and bolt, tolerance stacking seems to be more apparent here. I would say most individuals do not have the precision tools for precise measurement of bolts or the proper practice. From my own experiences I have run across my first barrel that would not headspace with a toolcraft bolt, second barely headspaced.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I could be wrong but between the chamber and bolt, tolerance stacking seems to be more apparent here. I would say most individuals do not have the precision tools for precise measurement of bolts or the proper practice. From my own experiences I have run across my first barrel that would not headspace with a toolcraft bolt, second barely headspaced.

I'm no expert but it is pretty alarming how often parts fail when they are gauged. I believe Toolcraft only makes carriers. Who knows where the bolts come from. I'm happy to pay a professional to check things because the tools can be cost prohibitive and he'll have an eye for something I might miss. Thus my recent lower rebuild.

During my last visit to Chad, we checked both the Aero and PSA BCGs in an upper that I had purchased from him a while back so I knew it was good. The Aero worked perfectly. The PSA was a little tight but was still good (should wear in with use).

The important take away here is that manufacturers have let QC go to help cut costs. They've also started selling parts with different treatments/coatings to meet demands of the consumer. We need to make sure that we check parts so we minimize issues and don't have catastrophic failures. You, as well as others that are educated about the subject, get that. Others just listen to the interwebz experts and hope for the best.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Well here is an update. I went to the range last week and ran about 350rds thru my rifle using the new Nitride BCG that I had brought about 2 weeks ago. I was shooting 55grn 223 fmj made by Brown Bear Ammo and 55grn 5.56 made by IMI with no trouble. When i got home and took my rifle apart to clean the only thing that I noticed was where the bolt assembly goes into the carrier their was some discoloration on it. I guess when shooting a nitrate BCG this is normal since this is the first time I have used that kind of BCG so I am asking the experts here. Thanks for the input and have a great day..

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Well here is an update. I went to the range last week and ran about 350rds thru my rifle using the new Nitride BCG that I had brought about 2 weeks ago. I was shooting 55grn 223 fmj made by Brown Bear Ammo and 55grn 5.56 made by IMI with no trouble. When i got home and took my rifle apart to clean the only thing that I noticed was where the bolt assembly goes into the carrier their was some discoloration on it. I guess when shooting a nitrate BCG this is normal since this is the first time I have used that kind of BCG so I am asking the experts here. Thanks for the input and have a great day..

Discoloration is not that surprising considering the type of heat it is exposed to during firing and other particulates.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG

Coincidence.
    I just received that very Toolcraft black nitirded BCG from ARMorAlly.
    It is slicker than slick. I can't find a nick or mark on it.
    Headspace is good on my barrel.
    Cleaned it with brake parts cleaner then oiled it.
    Only fired about 50 rounds and did I say it is slicker than slick? Extracts and ejects beautifully. I expected maybe a few rounds it might be sticky or need a little wear in, but nope. Every round from the first on fed and extracted perfect. But then, it is nitrided which doesn't put any coating on the metal unlike phosphate/Parkerizing or plating with stuff.
    Just an all around good. :thumbsup:

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Coincidence.
    Only fired about 50 rounds and did I say it is slicker than slick? Extracts and ejects beautifully. I expected maybe a few rounds it might be sticky or need a little wear in, but nope. Every round from the first on fed and extracted perfect. But then, it is nitrided which doesn't put any coating on the metal unlike phosphate/Parkerizing or plating with stuff.

I have that same bolt combo on my AR10 carbine build and I couldn't be happier with it.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Coincidence.

Keep in mind that base BCGs, prior to phosphate/chrome lining applications, are spec'd to accept the layer they are adding. That layer puts them within spec.

From what I understand, companies are simply taking those base BCGs and nitriding, which doesn't add that additional thickness and putting them out of spec. Subjecting them to gas leaks, etc.

I'm sure Clandestine would be able to explain it better than I do.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Keep in mind that base BCGs, prior to phosphate/chrome lining applications, are spec'd to accept the layer they are adding. That layer puts them within spec.

From what I understand, companies are simply taking those base BCGs and nitriding, which doesn't add that additional thickness and putting them out of spec. Subjecting them to gas leaks, etc.

I'm sure Clandestine would be able to explain it better than I do.

This is correct but I don't think people accept the advice.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    This is correct but I don't think people accept the advice.

I think it'd probably help to go beyond saying that they're out of spec and digging deeper into why exactly that's bad and how it can end up negatively affecting the gun.

Doubly-so if you start talking about what what specs truly matter and what specs you can fudge a bit on in the course of your build, particularly in relation to the intended use of the gun and what the user might be willing to sacrifice either in terms of longevity or reliability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom