• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    It could be that the bulk of the submissions they receive are paper submissions which are more tedious to sort/process. Additionally with E-File submissions, you are entering your documents directly into their system, eliminating clerical duties. All they have to do is check your work for errors.

Yup. In principle, ATF should be able to establish a database of every NFA item and handle the transfers online.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    After dealing with the FAA, I wouldn’t be surprised if they print the E-file applications, then type the info into their system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    FAA, hell. I've seen people be sent a form, print the form out, hand-scrawl in the information, take a picture, and e-mail that.

And I was the poor sod who had to decipher the scrawl and type things in properly.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Status Update.
    Just called the ATF in WV. My Form4 eFile is still pending. The check was cashed by the ATF on 01/06/19.:(

efile? last I heard 4s were still paper only, efile might be ready sometime this year. Waiting on a 4/individual from 10-22-18, per nfa tracker data seems around an 11mo wait currently, Waiting on efile before buying more F4 NFA stuff given the <30 days form 1s have been running, and almost a year with paper.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    efile? last I heard 4s were still paper only, efile might be ready sometime this year. Waiting on a 4/individual from 10-22-18, per nfa tracker data seems around an 11mo wait currently, Waiting on efile before buying more F4 NFA stuff given the <30 days form 1s have been running, and almost a year with paper.

Way to be a Debbie downer. Sigh. I am hoping my house sells Friday still. If so I plan to start suppressor shopping for a rimfire can next week. Hell, who knows, if they do go electronic on form 4s this year, maybe I’ll have the scratch to get a second can, efile it and get that one approved before I get back an approval on the 22 can.

Ideally these would be OTC, but eventually need/want a minimum of a rimfire and a .308 can (okay, probably handling 300 magnum as that is what most .30 cal fans are rated for). I’d like to add to that a .45 cal can and a .223 dedicated fan in that order.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Way to be a Debbie downer. Sigh. I am hoping my house sells Friday still. If so I plan to start suppressor shopping for a rimfire can next week. Hell, who knows, if they do go electronic on form 4s this year, maybe I’ll have the scratch to get a second can, efile it and get that one approved before I get back an approval on the 22 can.

Ideally these would be OTC, but eventually need/want a minimum of a rimfire and a .308 can (okay, probably handling 300 magnum as that is what most .30 cal fans are rated for). I’d like to add to that a .45 cal can and a .223 dedicated fan in that order.

Waiting 270ish days so far on a Griffin Optimus multi-cal, but want a lightweight or modular 22 direct thread, and 45pistol can to cover most things, was about to plunk down loot, and paperwork for them. Decided to wait after memos were released a couple months back from the ATF that E-file 4s would be available as early as summer '19(pushed back to end of the year), and mean old Trump's 30 day backed them up for 3-6 months on paper.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Waiting 270ish days so far on a Griffin Optimus multi-cal, but want a lightweight or modular 22 direct thread, and 45pistol can to cover most things, was about to plunk down loot, and paperwork for them. Decided to wait after memos were released a couple months back from the ATF that E-file 4s would be available as early as summer '19(pushed back to end of the year), and mean old Trump's 30 day backed them up for 3-6 months on paper.
    Due to a series of mix-ups by ATF, USPS, and my dealer, the Optimus ended up being the first can I bought and one of the last (maybe the last?) can I got ahold of. Regardless, I'm really happy with it. I know everyone says buy purpose built cans instead of modular ones, but I sure seem to end up using the Optimus A LOT. I just think it sounds good. The level of modularity far exceeds any other can I am aware of. Accessories are kind of expensive but generally pretty useful.

Anyway I think you'll be happy with it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Anyone have a link to this memo? I have not head of the electronic F4.
    There's no electronic form 4 yet. There was a comment period for some regulation changes that would aid in having one. Further, the ATF has been pretty clear for a while that they want to get it done, because it would make their lives a ton easier.

haoleboy may be confusing it with a form 1 (unlikely), or not understanding that SilencerShop form 4s are still paper form 4s.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Submitted a Form 4 in August of last year, picked up yesterday...individual, not a trust. So figure on 10 months. :-(

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    There's no electronic form 4 yet. There was a comment period for some regulation changes that would aid in having one. Further, the ATF has been pretty clear for a while that they want to get it done, because it would make their lives a ton easier.

haoleboy may be confusing it with a form 1 (unlikely), or not understanding that SilencerShop form 4s are still paper form 4s.
    I'm sure I am confusing it, as I have no idea what i'm talking about. :D

I bought a 45cal can, and submitted the paperwork thru SilencerShop as an individual. I assumed it was "efile" because I didn't have to fill out paperwork by hand. :lol2:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Son of a...

I was thinking of doing a silencer co one shot trust.

Still need prints and photo's. The upside to the SS is your prints and photos stay on file, so WHEN you buy more, it's easy. The downside is that they submit forms in batches and that can mean a several week delay before the cash get checked... No biggie to me. You are already waiting 10 months.

The trusts seem to take longer to process then individuals for some reason.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Yup. What Silencer Shop does is to provide a paper Form 4 that is filled out with the stuff you and the dealer input electronically, complete with a scannable code for ATF use that will correctly populate their database.

It still bothers me, immensely, that it takes 10-12 months. This is the end of the second decade of the 21st Century, we have databases to track felons, the ability to scan fingerprints and run them in near real time. There's no excuse for tying up people's valuable money/property for a year because the Federal Government is slow-rolling the paperwork. I think it's ripe for a 5th Amendment takings lawsuit.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Still need prints and photo's. The upside to the SS is your prints and photos stay on file, so WHEN you buy more, it's easy. The downside is that they submit forms in batches and that can mean a several week delay before the cash get checked... No biggie to me. You are already waiting 10 months.

The trusts seem to take longer to process then individuals for some reason.

Just using their kiosk saves your prints. I used the kiosk late August ‘18. Just a couple weeks ago I bought another suppressor and all I used was their smartphone app to finalize everything. Prints and photo weren’t needed and my application is now pending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    It still bothers me, immensely, that it takes 10-12 months. This is the end of the second decade of the 21st Century, we have databases to track felons, the ability to scan fingerprints and run them in near real time. There's no excuse for tying up people's valuable money/property for a year because the Federal Government is slow-rolling the paperwork. I think it's ripe for a 5th Amendment takings lawsuit.

Maybe this is discussed upthread (and it's such a monster thread, that I'm not going to try to wade through the length of it), but is the current administration aware or sympathetic to this delay (throwing this out there for anyone)? It's a potentially easy way to make their gun owning constituency happy.

Everytime I see a deal for a suppressor, I end up suppressing the urge myself because of all the waiting vs going for instant gratification (e.g. a gun). I can't be the only one - meaning the antigunners might decrease gun sales if they also supported expediting this process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom