Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Congrats to Bossman and Mike’s co-worker..... :thumbsup:
    Still tryin for my first of the yr.
    They just know...

Bow season I’ll go to 75-100 yards
    SG season I’ll go to 150-200 yards
    Little b@$+@ds....:mad54:

I hunted my fathers farm for the last two years. There have to be 100 deer there on the regular. I went out a ton of times over two seasons and never so much as saw a deer in the woods. I know how it feels. I will not hunt the farm anymore after getting my own property and 18 acres across the street to hunt whenever I want that family owns. Deer everywhere.

Your dry spell will end.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Congrats Libh8r and Mike3888! :thumbsup:

vinjet700, weather is about to change(for the better). This should help get the deer moving. Hopefully your luck will change with the weather. :)

Last edited:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Congrats Libh8r and Mike888! :thumbsup:

vinjet700, weather is about to change(for the better). This should help get the deer moving. Hopefully your luck will change with the weather. :)

i saw 5 deer yesterday, the most Ive seen since hunting season opened. 1 momma and 2 babies and another momma and 1 baby. I havent seen any bucks lately but i know they are there. Doesnt matter since Ive filled my tag and rifle season is over any how;)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am out in GRS Friday and Saturday. Looked over the calendar and everything (confirming because I’ve never hunted region A). Antlerless is Dec 9th only, correct? Also limit of 1 antlerless for Region A and firearm season?

Also has to be taken to a CWD certified processor in the area? Or was that provision dropped this year?

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    I am out in GRS Friday and Saturday. Looked over the calendar and everything (confirming because I’ve never hunted region A). Antlerless is Dec 9th only, correct? Also limit of 1 antlerless for Region A and firearm season?

Also has to be taken to a CWD certified processor in the area? Or was that provision dropped this year?

1 antlerless per firearms season in Reg A
    8th & 9th only Antlerless region A
    Remember Dec 9th: only DNR Public Land

Calendar for 2017-2018:
    Dec 8 & 9 Region A

Page 25 Hunting & Traping
    CWD Management

Due to the detection of CWD in Allegany County, the department has implemented several regulations to limit the spread of this disease to other portions of Maryland or nearby states. One important step was to establish a CWD Management Area (CWDMA). The regulations are focused on the CWDMA with the goal to contain the disease within this area to the best of our ability. The current CWDMA (see map below) consists of Harvest Management Units (Private Land Codes) 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 in Allegany County and 250 in western Washington County. There are also carcass transport restrictions within the CWDMA. The transport restrictions apply only to the CWDMA designated on the map below, regardless of whether the deer was taken on private or public land.

Whole deer carcasses or deer parts cannot be transported out of the CWDMA, except for:

Meat with no part of the spinal column, backbone, or head attached,
    Hind quarters and front shoulders with no spinal column or backbone attached,
    Cleaned hide with no head attached,
    Skull plate cleaned of all meat and brain tissue,
    Antlers with no meat or soft tissue attached,
    Finished taxidermy mounts or tanned hides,
    Whole deer carcasses or parts being transported directly to the meat processors or taxidermists listed below, or to the landfill located within Allegany or Washington County.
    Currently, the following taxidermists and meat processors are approved to prepare or process deer carcasses or deer parts taken from within Maryland’s CWDMA. This provision provides an opportunity for hunters harvesting deer within Maryland’s CWDMA to transport carcasses or other deer parts directly to one of these approved businesses for meat processing, taxidermy services or for preparation for transport to another taxidermist.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I need to start making calls, but anyone know about any of those processors on the list? A couple have websites, but helpfully leave out things like if they are open 24/7 for drop off.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The two does for a bonus buck stamp, the does have to be taken in region B, right?

I know that the bonus stamp can only be used in Region B.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I need to start making calls, but anyone know about any of those processors on the list? A couple have websites, but helpfully leave out things like if they are open 24/7 for drop off.

Lazarus, I have used B&B Butchering in Little Orleans in a pinch. When hunting in Green Ridge, we usually butcher our deer in camp. I did however use these guys once when I was in a hurry to get back and was going back up later that week and picked up my deer. Did not have them do anything special, just skin, cut an wrap. They did a decent job. Just my experience. Good luck!

https://www.manta.com/c/mm0qky3/b-b-butchering

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...671f962c0df121!8m2!3d39.6747363!4d-78.3715821

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks guys on the doe guidance. Also on B&B. Do you recall if they have 24hr drop-off? I am likely not going to have the time or ability to butcher anything I get in the Field. Mostly a time thing. I am not camping and need to head home Saturday night.

I’ve never butchered a deer myself. I understand the basics and figure I could probably manage, but I don’t have a meat grinder, so no way I’d be stripping it to bones and if I end up with one at sunset Saturday, I really don’t have the spare time to hang it and butcher it before driving home. Especially if I end up spending a couple of hours tracking and dragging it and what not.

The closer out towards Hagerstown for a processor the better though, as hat cuts my drive time to come back and get it by a lot.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Son finally got his first deer with a bow. This was his best friend's bow who died a few days after he bought it in August. The family gave the bow to my son and he vowed to get a deer with it for him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      98.9 KB · Views: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads