• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which date could you attend the build party?

• Total voters

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    I will post probably the week before if I will be able to attend on the 25th.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    I am new to the AK building process. So many different origins, what works with what? I would like to attend and hopefully build/learn me something. Will this list do it, or do I need other things?

hungryjoseph

Apr 23, 2013
    I would double check your kit to see if it will use 1mm or 1.5mm receivers. And I would also suggest you take a look at childer's 80% blanks for your pistol build because it's already heat treated (since you will have to spot weld the rails in anyway), I don't think it's that much more difficult to drill the holes if you have the template. But I've never done that before so no first-hand experience

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    So tempting.... I don't know if I can afford to get all the parts in time. Any experience with Childer's receivers? And for barrels is Green Mountain GTG or should I just bite the bullet and get a K-VAR Bulgarian. I will need to send it off to ADCO for cut and thread.

green mountain barrels are great.

They have a couple nitrided ones, but for some reason I'm not seeing them on their site right now

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    okay, it looks like green mountain has changed their ak barrel line

They no longer have for sale on the website any ak barrels that are not chrome lined.

So no naked steel, and no nitride, at least right now.

You can still get them off gun broker or other places, and I am not sure if this is a permanent thing.

One of my first aftermarket nitiriding experiments was with a non chromed green mountain barrel.

Anyways, their chrome is IMMACULATE, buy with confidence.

Since they just expanded their AR barrel lineup to include more nitrided barrels, I think they will do the same ultimately with their AK barrels.

My first impulse was just to buy an unlined barrel and after bringing it under 16 inches have it nitrided- I have never had to cut down a chromed bore and I am curious as to how the re-crowning will go

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    ok ladies, My current build is gonna be 14.5 barrel pinned & welded muzzle device. Having a hard time deciding on witch M/D. I want it to be steel, long enough,help with muzzle rise/recoil,and not be to heavy. Any ideas?

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    ok ladies, My current build is gonna be 14.5 barrel pinned & welded muzzle device. Having a hard time deciding on witch M/D. I want it to be steel, long enough,help with muzzle rise/recoil,and not be to heavy. Any ideas?

If I wanted to agitate....

http://blackdogmachinellc.net/images/products/detail/SpitZlead_gif.gif

If I had my choice, I would see if I could pin a noveske kx/kw, Bulgarian, or krink style muzzle device and still keep it serviceable, preference toward the noveske. Mainly because it would be something different. If you couldn't retain the serviceability of the cone and keep the 16 " length then I would look elsewhere.

Eta, all of those choices are heavy. If looking for something light, I am always drawn to an ar 3 prong duckbill or some variation and they supposedly work better than a birdcage.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I am new to the AK building process. So many different origins, what works with what? I would like to attend and hopefully build/learn me something. Will this list do it, or do I need other things?

This and the part that foodpoison suggested and you should be GTG. I see you are opting for the thicker 1.5mm receiver... Nice.

I have a 1.5mm on my MB70B1 and it is beefy.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    This and the part that foodpoison suggested and you should be GTG. I see you are opting for the thicker 1.5mm receiver... Nice.

I have a 1.5mm on my MB70B1 and it is beefy.

Thanks foodpoison and tc, thats what I needed to know. Now to start gathering my parts!

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Thanks foodpoison and tc, thats what I needed to know. Now to start gathering my parts!

I believe (someone correct me if in wrong) if you opt for the 1.5mm thick receiver, you will need to remove .25mm of material from both sides of the front and rear trunnions to get them to fit into the receiver.

Speaking of pistol kits, Just received my 12.5" AMD kit from AK-Builders (last one in stock). Really nice numbers matching kit. Looking forward to finishing this one.

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    They have annoyed me in the past, so I'm torn, but royal tiger has Bulgarian kits with IO barrel for $300 base price and up from there. I also am not sure whether I trust the barrel, but it's not a terrible price.

http://www.royaltigerimports.com/product-p/ak740203.htm

Price on the Royal Tiger 74 kit is pretty good. Was just about to add it to the cart until I read that RTI doesn't ship to Maryland. Oh well no business from me.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Price on the Royal Tiger 74 kit is pretty good. Was just about to add it to the cart until I read that RTI doesn't ship to Maryland. Oh well no business from me.

I called them a while back. They said they will pull any mags and ship to MD. They are good there, but I don't like the way their prices change every week for no reason. The sales rep told me to wait to buy a kit, that it would be on sale the following week. Instead of being on sale, they raised the price by $100. That's what really pissed me off.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I believe (someone correct me if in wrong) if you opt for the 1.5mm thick receiver, you will need to remove .25mm of material from both sides of the front and rear trunnions to get them to fit into the receiver.

Speaking of pistol kits, Just received my 12.5" AMD kit from AK-Builders (last one in stock). Really nice numbers matching kit. Looking forward to finishing this one.

You are correct. I forgot about that important fact that if you are using a 1.5mm flat to build an AK you will need to mill the front and rear trunnions.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    So far I have the following people attending:

tc617
    ejholt
    foodpoison
    Mdeng
    armed ferret
    mvee
    smdub
    blksniper2000
    vgplayer
    ifdot

Attached is the spreadsheet for what people plan to bring to the build party. I may have a few new toys/jigs by then. If you have anything to add, download the spread sheet, make changes, and repost.

Attachments

• AK Build Party 4 042515 V1.xls
      202 KB · Views: 94

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom