• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Took a 4-5 year hiatus from rifle shooting. Decided to break the 700PSS .308 out of the safe few weeks ago and have a go at it. Bought it years ago and mounted a "junk" nikon scope on it. Worked well and used to shoot it out to about 550 yards at a buddies farm, shooting milk jugs, but it was never consistent at that range. Always had to walk it in with a few shots.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago...went to Hap Baker. Shot about 20 rounds. Felt good and held 6 shots @100 yards into a pretty decent group. Around 1". That was with hunting ammo because thats all I could find local at the last minute. So I ordered a 1/2 case of FGMM, a Millett TRS scope with 20moa weaver base and Burris xtreme rings.

Took it out the other day and sighted in the new setup. Ended up with this nice little group. Was about 80' and sunny. 3 shots @100 yards. 168gr FGMM. measures .220 center-center. Needless to say I'm back in the game and caught the shooting bug again

Attachments

• 75moa.jpg
      75moa.jpg
      48.7 KB · Views: 170
    • 25moa.jpg
      25moa.jpg
      47.5 KB · Views: 169

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Verrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice groups!!!!!!!

What kind of 'junk' Nikon scope did you have????

All of my Nikons are 'junk', too. They only allow me to shoot 1" groups at 200 yards with my M1A (Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x), and 1" groups with a Marlin .45-70 at 100 yards (Nikon Pro-Staff 2-7x), and 3 shots touching at 100 yards, with an 870 Express and Winchester sabot slugs
    (Nikon Pro-Staff 2-7x), and 3 shots touching at 100 yards with a T/C Triumph .50 cal BP (Nikon Pro-Staff 2-7x).

Still waitin' on my Leupold MkIV mount and rings to come in, so that I can put my 'junk' 6-18 Mil-Dot Nikon on my Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD.

Yup. They're junk, alright.:innocent0

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Verrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice groups!!!!!!!

What kind of 'junk' Nikon scope did you have????

All of my Nikons are 'junk', too. They only allow me to shoot 1" groups at 200 yards with my M1A (Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x), and 1" groups with a Marlin .45-70 at 100 yards (Nikon Pro-Staff 2-7x), and 3 shots touching at 100 yards, with an 870 Express and Winchester sabot slugs
    (Nikon Pro-Staff 2-7x), and 3 shots touching at 100 yards with a T/C Triumph .50 cal BP (Nikon Pro-Staff 2-7x).

Still waitin' on my Leupold MkIV mount and rings to come in, so that I can put my 'junk' 6-18 Mil-Dot Nikon on my Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD.

Yup. They're junk, alright.:innocent0

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess.

:lol:
    I said "junk" because it was like $40 at the gun show. Not sure the model but it is a 3-9x with small objective. The turrets don't like to return to proper zero sometimes. Its not bad but not what I want/need for what i'm trying to do.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Yeah, the Remmy 700 PSS is a fine rifle. The nice thing is that everyone who tries it shoots well with it. The even better thing is that mine likes cheapie ammo. I save the Fed Gold Match or Black Hills for special occasions. For 100 yards I blast away with mil surplus ammo from the 70's. Here's a quick snapshot of a 3 shot group with Portuguese surplus ammo at 100 yards.

CIMG0623.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom