New Unattended Emissions Inspection Kiosk.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    The state really needs the money so I went to the Westminster station and paid my dues to the mob, er um state today.

fnfalsar48

Feb 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Not all counties have VEIP requirements. It's based on some EPA nonsense that essentially correlates to population density.

If the county had less than 100,000 residents when the program started, that county will be exempt. There is no provision for population growth in the program.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I would have loved this when I had my Trans Am. I'd take it thru emissions with zero emissions equipment dreading a visual inspection. My tuner deleted all codes and the car passed every time.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    Most would not know what a cat is if it fell on the floor and rolled over to them. Buddy has his cat deleted and installed resonator in its place because of visual inspection. For some reason they stopped doing visuals.

It's like parallel parking on the driving test, so many people would fail, they just decided to do away with it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    This is only for like 2013 and newer vehicles isn't it.

Believe the instructions say 2004. I learned the hard way when I took my 1998 Taurus to the exact same kiosk that ToolAA did. Had to pick up my son from a birthday party in Columbia, so said what the hell. The kiosk rejected me twice and then I read the "fine print" on the instructions that came with the VEIP notice.

So, on Monday I went to the VEIP station in Westminster. Nobody was there, the people were super nice, the old as dirt Taurus passed, and I was back on my way in less than 5 minutes.

I'll be using the kiosk for all the other vehicles. Just way too convenient to do it after hours when nobody is around. Granted, might get mugged late at night in Columbia, but the risk might be worth it.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Last time I tried to use the self "prepare yourself I'm going in dry kiosk" in Owings Mills someone stole or didn't return the obd link assembly which was odd as it requires a credit card to start the process. The whole bs emissions program needs to be eliminated much like it is in Western Maryland and I believe eastern shore. It doesn't accomplish much.

If the county had less than 100,000 residents when the program started, that county will be exempt. There is no provision for population growth in the program.

Cecil and Queen Anne's county each have a VEIP station. While Cecil has a population greater than 100k, Queen Anne's is much smaller. I have wondered wht there is a VEIP location in Grasonville.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    VEIP is not a MD mandated program, it is a Federal EPA mandated one.

Western MD and Eastern Shore do not have it because they are outside the EPA designated pollution zones.

The same areas with VEIP are the ones that had oxygenated fuel in the winter many years ago.

And yes, the test on modern cars is stupid. Look at the Check Engine Light. Is it On? Yes, you don't pass. :D

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    saved my 4 bucks by using the self tester... you could be missing all of your exhaust after the last sensor and your vehicle would be none the wiser, i imagine you would pass with holes all over the place bypassing a lot of your exhaust system.

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    Smog checks

wpid-los-angeles-smog_100202559_s.jpg

Yep. This would be better than smog checks.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    wpid-los-angeles-smog_100202559_s.jpg

Yep. This would be better than smog checks.

I’m not in favor of smog but my earlier comments about having emissions inspection stations being unnecessary in this day and age still stands. I’m sure that if they just made emission inspection part of the regular state inspection whenever a car is transferred or it would be 95% as effective without the coat burden of the testing program.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Had an interesting moment several years ago...

On a summer dinner cruise out of Baltimore, once we came into view of the Bay Bridge, there was a stunning representation of the "smog" issue.

A clear evening, but in the gloaming the bridge was shrouded in a grey-green haze, with parts of it barely visible.

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    For some of the people, yes

I’m not in favor of smog but my earlier comments about having emissions inspection stations being unnecessary in this day and age still stands. I’m sure that if they just made emission inspection part of the regular state inspection whenever a car is transferred or it would be 95% as effective without the coat burden of the testing program.

In my humble experience, the only time some people fix their car is when they are forced to. I.E. when the vehicle fails emissions and they cannot renew their registration.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    In my humble experience, the only time some people fix their car is when they are forced to. I.E. when the vehicle fails emissions and they cannot renew their registration.

I agree there will always be abusers. I just think that those most likely to abuse are not buying new cars and forcing all vehicles through inspection at transfer would still catch a lot (most) failing cars. Heck with modern technology I’m sure they could just monitor emissions compliance onboard.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I cleared the check engine code today on my 08 Cobalt with 218k miles. The code was P0301, something about a misfire on cylinder 1. I used a bluetooth ODBII device I purchased on Amazon for $25 and my android tablet.

I was on my 3rd extension and had a $10 late fee. I paid $29. They tested and asked if I may have had a battery replaced recently--I didn't deny that claim. They gave me another 6 weeks and said the computer needs at least a week to run before testing. They refunded my $29 and said if I come in before the next due date then the fee will only be $19.

I guess I'm going to have to take it to the mechanic to get it fixed before a failed emissions test. The car's blue book is worth only $1000 but otherwise runs great. The code indicates anything from a bad spark plug to compression problems. I guess if it's the former we'll get it fixed.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I agree there will always be abusers. I just think that those most likely to abuse are not buying new cars and forcing all vehicles through inspection at transfer would still catch a lot (most) failing cars. Heck with modern technology I’m sure they could just monitor emissions compliance onboard.

They do monitor emissions compliance onboard. There is this little computer in the vehicle that makes sure everything is running correctly with the emissions system. If you are talking about giving the government control to monitor that computer in my vehicle remotely, I think I will take a rain check. I'd prefer that the government know for 5 minutes once every two years where my vehicle is (i.e., at the VEIP kiosk) than know 24/7/365 where my vehicle is and what it is doing. I mean, I have to keep my Transformers hidden now.

My 5th grader has been discussing in class the balancing of "individual rights" with the "common good". Personally, I believe clean air for the common good is well worth the cost (i.e., $10) and the inconvenience (i.e., 30 minutes once every 2 years) to try to keep our air quality decent. I believe the VEIP notice gives us 30 to 45 days to get it done. Just hard to believe that most of us cannot find a VEIP station/kiosk somewhere along our travels during a 30 to 45 day span. Truthfully, I don't see this as a huge imposition on a personal basis.

Now, ask me how i felt about it when I was driving a POS Fairmont with a carburetor on it back in the mid 90's. I hate going to emissions because I knew it would fail and I would have to spend at least the minimum required for the waiver, which is what I did both of the times I had to get it tested. It died in 1998, and since then the only vehicle that has been in our fleet and has failed is the Hyundai Sonata, which is no longer in the "fleet". That thing would eat through O2 sensors.

Anyway, I'm alright with VEIP. The infringement in time/money is extremely low in respect to the benefits we receive from it.

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Anyway, I'm alright with VEIP. The infringement in time/money is extremely low in respect to the benefits we receive from it.

It also keeps quite a few people employed with steady pay checks and health insurance that would otherwise most likely be collecting welfare and "free" Obamacare. $14 every two years is a lot less than we'd pay through regular taxes to pay for these people.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I cleared the check engine code today on my 08 Cobalt with 218k miles. The code was P0301, something about a misfire on cylinder 1. I used a bluetooth ODBII device I purchased on Amazon for $25 and my android tablet.

I was on my 3rd extension and had a $10 late fee. I paid $29. They tested and asked if I may have had a battery replaced recently--I didn't deny that claim. They gave me another 6 weeks and said the computer needs at least a week to run before testing. They refunded my $29 and said if I come in before the next due date then the fee will only be $19.

I guess I'm going to have to take it to the mechanic to get it fixed before a failed emissions test. The car's blue book is worth only $1000 but otherwise runs great. The code indicates anything from a bad spark plug to compression problems. I guess if it's the former we'll get it fixed.

Can you clear the code and see if it comes back?

Everyone I know with older daily economy car gassers just clear the codes, drive around long enough so the readiness monitors complete (hopefully without tripping the same code) and go do the emissions.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Can you clear the code and see if it comes back?

Everyone I know with older daily economy car gassers just clear the codes, drive around long enough so the readiness monitors complete (hopefully without tripping the same code) and go do the emissions.

He mentioned in the very first line that he cleared the code.

Like you said though, he needs to drive it enough so that all the checks read complete instead of not ready. It should not take a week like they told him... only a couple of days. It needs a certain number of start cycles, time at idle, time at highway speeds, etc.

A cheap OBD code reader can identify if all of the tests are ready or still incomplete. If you guess and go too soon it won't be ready, too late and you'll have to clear the code and wait again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom