• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Little bit long winded post but the back story is important to the outcome...

So my grandfather was a MP in Korea during the war. He always spoke about having a 1911 that was chrome and had mother of pearl grips at his house when he was living there. When leaving Korea after the war he gave the gun to his "maid" as a gift. Guys in his unit at the time thought he was crazy because the gun was worth "many months of the maids salary". My grandfather wasn't a big gun guy so he wasn't concerned, he figured it was a nice gesture for someone who took good care of the house and chores while he was there.

Fast forward to my lifetime and my grandfather(now 83) has gotten into guns as a way to bond with me, I think. We have been shooting my guns on holidays and such with family. When the shit passed in 2013 I told him to get a gun so he would be grandfathered into the HQL shit. He picked up a SAM 1911 from Lou at a local gun show. Hes probably only put 50 rounds thru it since, but its a very nice gun for the ~$500 he paid. I also built him an AR which he is very excited about.

Just before xmas this year I sent it out to Accurate Plating and had it hard chromed and found "mother of pearl" grips for it. Real mother of pearl apparently isn't readily available anywhere from my research. He had no idea I was doing this and was stunned when I gave it to him on xmas. He now refers to it as his prized possession and it will be passed down for a few generations as a keepsake. Not my cup of tea as far as looks, but it will be one of my prized possessions one day too.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 20161212_135818.jpg
      20161212_135818.jpg
      190.7 KB · Views: 305
    • SAM_Military.JPG
      SAM_Military.JPG
      109.9 KB · Views: 308

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    All that matters is what your grandfather thinks of it.

The fact that you got it from Lou, also has to add a notch to the 'keepsake' status.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It's what he's been wanting for the last 50+ years. Thank you for thinking about his wants and desires.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Very Nice and thanks for sharing the story and photos, my father was a MP in Korea with the Rocks, they were a tough bunch according to my dad, he passed a few years back didn't talk much about the place other then it was Cold in the Winter, and the MP's had a mix of 1911 and 1917, he liked the Colt 1917 he was a bit of a cowboy.

Attachments

• Inspection Arms.jpg
      Inspection Arms.jpg
      62.1 KB · Views: 238

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    General Patton would approve of the pistol

Army Second Lieutenants and New Orlean Pimps would approve of those pearl grips

Great Job

Now, don't take him on a Korean "moose" hunt since that could piss off your Grandmom

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I like the new look MUCH better than the stock finish. That is beautiful! Congrats to him and good on you for making his day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom