Heritage Training Center Not Doing Well??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Anyone know how business is over there? I've been getting a lot of promotional emails from them and that makes me wonder how much business they are getting. The few times that I've been there it hasn't been too busy.

I really like the place, but have not gone as much as I'd like to. I'm going to start going regularly again. I want to support them as much as I can.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Seems like a ghost town every visit.

Got email free use of RANGE with any competitor's inside RANGE card for the month of June.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Wouldn't be surprised if they were struggling. I understand their focus is on training, but they aren't exactly priced to be competitive with TMGN.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Hope this isn't the case. I really like the facility. Went there last Saturday eve and it was crowded, lots of couples. I more often go on Sunday nights, and even then usually see a third of the lanes occupied (in the one of two rooms that I use).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    IMHO it's their "independence" that's holding them back.

I believe they have their own branded training courses, which are intended to replace basic NRA courses.

Also, I was told they prefer to be apolitical.

I would instead like to see them embrace the 2A community, become political, and partner/integrate with outside instructors.

If I was in charge, the first two things I would do are;

1. Plan and implement guerrilla marketing campaign
    2. Provide free classroom space with paid range rental for credentialed instructors
    3. Schedule a MDS open house.
    4. Show up in force at all 2A events
    5. Recruit and hire more women and minorities

It's. beautiful facility with some good people. I hope they succeed.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    IMHO it's their "independence" that's holding them back.

I believe they have their own branded training courses, which are intended to replace basic NRA courses.

Also, I was told they prefer to be apolitical.

I would instead like to see them embrace the 2A community, become political, and partner/integrate with outside instructors.

If I was in charge, the first two things I would do are;

1. Plan and implement guerrilla marketing campaign
    2. Provide free classroom space with paid range rental for credentialed instructors
    3. Schedule a MDS open house.
    4. Show up in force at all 2A events
    5. Recruit and hire more women and minorities

It's. beautiful facility with some good people. I hope they succeed.

Why hire more women and minorities? I see women working there all the time. Why do they need to recruit certain groups? I couldn't care less who works there as long as they are qualified and are nice to customers. It shouldn't be about race/sex. Unless they aren't hiring qualified minorities/women, I see no problem.

I do agree about being more vocal about the 2A.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    I love the facility. I believe, 18 y/o and less not allowed on the range, unlike MGN. I prefer to go to AGC on nice days. But when its cold and rainy, its awesome to go to a nice facility. I like MGN, but the physical plant and high ceiling height (more of a target available without concerns for floor strikes or carrier strikes) make shooting more pleasant at Heritage. I hope they will allow accompanied minors.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I went to "Silver Eagle Group" last weekend with a friend who is a member. It was a really cool place. They offer memberships and as a guest I had to pay $25 to shoot. Even charging that much, they were PACKED with people. I think Heritage needs to mimic that facility. Heritage actually has a nicer space IMHO. They definitely need to offer memberships. I know I'd rather shoot at a high-end professional place like Heritage than a place that might attract Ya-hoos and riff raff looking to be a mall ninja.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I love the facility. I believe, 18 y/o and less not allowed on the range, unlike MGN. I prefer to go to AGC on nice days. But when its cold and rainy, its awesome to go to a nice facility. I like MGN, but the physical plant and high ceiling height (more of a target available without concerns for floor strikes or carrier strikes) make shooting more pleasant at Heritage. I hope they will allow accompanied minors.

I agree 100%. The youngsters are their future customers.

They won't allow drawing from a holster either. I understand their concerns about potential accidents, but they have good RO's there and I think they mitigate the risk considerably.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Why hire more women and minorities? I see women working there all the time. Why do they need to recruit groups? I couldn't care less who works there as long as they are qualified and are nice to customers. It shouldn't be about race/sex. Unless they aren't hiring qualified minorities/women, I see no problem.

In my experience as an instructor, people learn better when they are comfortable.

Regardless of the reasons, many (most) women are more comfortable being taught by other women. It may be empathy, it may be I've never worn heels or a low cut top, or it may be they can't focus due to my virility.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    In my experience as an instructor, people learn better when they are comfortable.

Regardless of the reasons, many (most) women are more comfortable being taught by other women. It may be empathy, it may be I've never worn heels or a low cut top, or it may be they can't focus due to my virility.

Haha. I do agree that women (new shooters) prefer to learn from a women instructor. They are probably less intimidated by a women and won't feel judged.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD

I agree 100%, I used to take people there that I was teaching, but because of problems with an problem outside instructor. they locked it down to outside instructors, while I understand that they don't want outside competition, I do all my classes as a 1 on 1 basis for the comfort of the student. And like or not there are a lot of people that don't like big classes because they feel as if they cant ask questions for fear of feeling stupid.

I would love to be able to be an "Approved" outside trainer for them. I have brought a lot of business in for them and continue to send people to them as a great place to go that is low key.

They do have a couple women on staff as trainers; however, I don't think they tout that as hard as they should.

I really hope that they succeed as well, they area a great alternative to the other ranges around, not every new shooter wants to feel the muzzle blast of a full auto mag dump.

euro2fast4u

Mar 1, 2015
    Frederick
    I really like the range and atmosphere compared to the other local places.

i too noticed these promotions and will probably end up going next month :D

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Why hire more women and minorities? I see women working there all the time. Why do they need to recruit certain groups? I couldn't care less who works there as long as they are qualified and are nice to customers. It shouldn't be about race/sex. Unless they aren't hiring qualified minorities/women, I see no problem.

This. Although as an aside, with more women they'd be likely able to secure more affluent people from MoCo also. Tactical chíc or something like that.

Troy1

May 27, 2016
    I try and go every other weekend when I can, and it's usually pretty packed. I actually asked about memberships yesterday and they said they weren't considering it atm

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick

Yeah, it turns me off a bit that I can't take my shooting buddy. (14 yo daughter)

minuit

Nov 10, 2015
    Frederick County
    Cashed in on the free range time email they sent me last month on Thursday night.

Only two other lanes were being used while I was there. I bought two guns there right after I got my HQL but most everything is priced above market. :-/ And with the 7 day wait it's not even like you get instant gratification. Although they will allow you to shoot a gun you have already purchased at the range just not take it home, so I guess that's a small perk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom